You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-11 02:25:05

Tworussellstreet

Can't wear yet can't say goodbye

I have a number of items in this category and wondered if this was a common ailment amongst Ivyists. I'm talking about Ivy garments which for whatever reason are now unwearable, but you cannot bear to move them on as they have too much emotional or symbolic meaning. I need the wardrobe space, and I know this is indicative of an irrational, rather silly attachment to what are 'just clothes'. For me these would be :

- my Paraboot Chambourds which I bought from 2 Russell Street in the 90s. Magnificent indestructible totems of French Ivy, I admire everything about them but their weight plays havoc with my ageing skeleton. 2 mins on my feet and the back is aching. I cannot let them go, and I love their old fashioned box design.

- an early 1960s olive green H.I.S Ivy tweed sack with all the details. But it looks so old and shabby now, the stitching is going, the period whiff is just too off-putting. Can't wear it, cannot bear to say goodbye, for it embodies all I love about the Ivy Look.

- the unremarkable Uniqlo button-down I was wearing the day my daughter was born. Soppy I know...

- a pair of old Red Tag Big E Levis with the old twisted seams which I bought from Kensington Market in the 80s. They're falling apart, just too distressed for a man in his late 50s to wear. And yet... I still love them so.

Anyone else in a pickle like me..?

Last edited by Tworussellstreet (2023-01-11 10:20:20)

#2 2023-01-11 06:42:33

Spendthrift

Re: Can't wear yet can't say goodbye

I suspect that every sports coat I own could go without making any impact on my day to day life whatsoever. Two particular faves, a Brooks grey herringbone and a Pendleton virgin wool gingham I'll never part with. The Brooks I've worn a handful of times. The Pendleton has never left the house

Three pairs of MiE Clarks desert boots from the early ninties that in truth I never found as comfortable as old ads led me to believe, sit in almost mint condition at the back of the wardrobe. Dragged out for another go every spring and quietly put away again. In my heart I know the crepe is invisibly deteriorating to make them even less comfortable but they'll always be there.

A Gant Yale CoOp reissue in that difficult green. Others seem to pull it off. Not me. But I own one, and it'll be a step back if it goes in the bin.

Similarly to TRS, an old pair of Lee 101z that refuse to give up despite being completely white on the knee/arse areas. They deserve a comfortable retirement due to years of loyal service. And a Crew Clothing black/white stripe funnel neck sweatshirt that's completely unremarkable in itself, but I happened to be wearing when Mrs S gave birth to our son and for one reason or another I got left quite literally holding the baby for eight hours in a hospital sideroom.

If I wanted to be really hard hearted about it, I could probably add to that list any knitwear that isn't navy.

#3 2023-01-11 06:55:53

AlveySinger

Sadly I have a large proportion of my wardrobe that I don't wear now.

Simple reason is that I no longer wear a suit and tie to work.

I used to wear them every working day regardless of having a client meeting or not. I didn't see good suits as an expense it was just a necessary cost of doing business.

My preference were soft shouldered Polo made to measure suits. Their old Custom programme allowed you to get exactly what you wanted, within certain parameters, at off the rack prices. The suit quality was exceptional as it was made in Italy by Cornealani. They are/were incredibly hard wearing so they've lasted well.

Each suit though contains happy memories of spending many an hour debating fabric choice, details and fittings. My wife would them to go to charity and at some point I will have to concede defeat

#4 2023-01-11 07:31:39

Kingston1an

A couple of half sleeve shirts from The Squire Shop when Polyester was 'Permanent Press'. They fitted my teenage neck size and went well with a mohair suit. Sadly never kept a 'guaranteed to bleed' shirt.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#5 2023-01-11 07:35:16

Patrick

I'm in the same boat as Alvey.

We've been working remotely now for almost three years. We tried going back to the office and three people promptly got the bug. Did they get it at the office? Don't know for sure, but we went back to the remote immediately.

I was moving away from automatic jacket and tie anyway, but I never imagined I'd be operating in chinos and sweatshirts almost exclusively.

But I have an assignment tomorrow that requires my physical presence. It's a hospital, so I'm going to break out a tweed and wear a tie and proper trousers. And shoes!

Last edited by Patrick (2023-01-11 07:37:52)

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#6 2023-01-11 13:04:30

FlatSixC

I can certainly relate to the obsolescence of suits problem. I have one grey flannel Brooks Brothers two piece which would be the one I would retain if I were only permitted to keep one. Others are worn or were bought vintage on ebay, so I would release them with the thought that I’ve had good use of them or they didn’t cost must to begin with - easy come easy go. But amongst my collection are three I acquired in J Press during New York trips when the pound was good and  I had the opportunity to get my hands on their top of the range suits at a heavy discount during their sales, or on one occasion when their Madison Avenue store was closing down. Their sheer opulence and luxury precludes me from giving them to charity or flogging them for a song on ebay.  There’s very little scope to wear them again, unless someone in the City realises my massive untapped potential and scoops me up with a too good to be refused offer. Mrs Flat is resigned to one day taking them to the charity shop. Or I could become one of those eccentric old men who always wears a suit when they go to their local pub on a Sunday.

Add to that sports jackets, smart dress shoes and various items of knitwear, all of which I still derive sensory pleasure from by taking them out to handle and sniff, but never wear.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2023-01-12 02:36:26)

#7 2023-01-12 03:19:54

Tworussellstreet

I am reassured. You are all as mad as me. I have moved items on that I still pine for, like old lovers.

"To my Walkover saddle shoes - I am so sorry I abandoned you. I always loved you but my girlfriend said I looked like a clown in you and would not walk next to me when I had you on my feet. But I should have kept you in your dusty old box with the J.Simons receipt still tucked inside. You would have been happy and warm in my wardrobe snug up against the shetland sweaters and woollen jackets. You'd have lived forever in that box with no ugly pavements to violate your soles. Every now and then I would have tenderly lifted you out for air as I sniffed your glorious Ivy whiff and delighted once again in the evocatively anachronistic detailing of your design. But I was weak under pressure, and callously gave you to the undeserving and unappreciative Oxfam shop. I pray you have found happiness on the feet of a man of taste, but I doubt it. Good bye old chum. I will never forget you. John x"

#8 2023-01-12 04:56:43

Staxfan

I'm quite good at moving stuff out, however there are a number of shirts, Sero b/cloth from RS '96, (but I do have a picture wearing it !), BDBaggies & Gant check shirts from IS Richmond 94-95, that I wished I'd held onto, and some of the old career club shirts from the IS 68-70, they (obviously) wouldn't fit now but I could take them out to look at,(maybe frame them like some people do with football shirts ?), Up until 2000 I'd always needed to wear a suit/jacket-strides, shirt/tie for work, I joined a company in 2000 where there was no dress code, so I managed to wear through the items in my wardrobe that weren't 'out-out' clothes, last suit I bought was 2007 for my Son's wedding, a Corneliani, seemed very slim at the time, not so much now, not Ivy but a soft-ish shoulder , 2 button, single vent, navy, so comes out for the increasing number of funerals I now seem to attend,

#9 2023-01-12 18:58:28

Dulouz

My last big clear out was back in the Autumn of 2015. Much has changed since the lockdowns, a different psychic topography, that demands a different look. Much too in my family, dark family secrets and lies are all out on the table. Beware those DNA tests my friends! So I'm ready for a new clear out.

I've addressed the conundrum of the death of shirt and tie look. In Germany it lingers on I'm told. Two drawers full of ties, and I think, I can box them up and keep one or two out. J.Press herringbone tweed not yet worn this season, I've a RL doeskin blazer in the wardrobe that suffices if I need to see a client. Everything else is in disused wardrobes, in boxes or on hangers. That's the death of the pure English look for me.

It's not back to full-on Ivy either. Elements of preppy, Ralphy garment dyed Oxford shirts in all colours and big bold primary coloured polos beneath half-zip jumpers in the winter. Shoes it's Aldens and C&J's, Coniston is playing a big role this January. Jackets are chore or Harrington style. Not a suit or sports jacket in sight, unless it's that doeskin blazer. Watches are the Omega Speedy Pro, the deep mangrove green dialed Seiko Marinemaster and the Seiko Alpinist bung strap 1959 re-edition. Pants it's G-Star Bronson 2.0 chinos. Cheap as chips and a rather modern slim fit in the legs, they're proper high waisted and roomy in the waist and crotch.

It happens that I am back to my fighting weight I was in the early 2010's so those John Simons and Harry Stedman shirts that I didn't get rid-off fit me again. Same with some 34'' Officer Pinks.

Board footer