You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-13 01:14:04

Horace

Alden in Paris

The most incredible pair of (I presume) custom edition desert boot spotted  forgot name of shop. Will dig up the ol’ photos and confirm.  In Marais.  Very true to an original Clark’s.  Have never seen anything like it.  Shop
Had a bizarre vibe.

Last edited by Horace (2023-01-13 01:15:04)

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#2 2023-01-13 02:43:34

FlatSixC

Re: Alden in Paris

Horace - Ha - there are some great shoe shops in the Marais area, but you still need to narrow it down a bit!

#3 2023-01-14 07:02:28

Tworussellstreet

Combien de euros ? Trop cher I'd  venture...

#4 2023-01-15 03:58:12

Horace

I’m sure they were expensive; more so than US prices.  I’ll find out which shop it was. 
Pity this site is buggered.  But will try to dig up a photo of shop. I had meant to come back
I’m not seeing the boot in the Alden catalog.  It was a design i hadn’t seen from Alden before.
Quality looked superlative.  It was a nice last and heel.  Leather sole as I recall.  Though crepe or crepe/commando
Would’ve been nice.  Weird vibe in the place.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#5 2023-01-15 06:03:32

Rivella

Anatomica maybe? Definitely fits your description. Crompton ran two articles on them quite recently:
https://www.permanentstyle.com/2022/03/anatomica-paris-the-clothes-and-the-history.html
https://www.permanentstyle.com/2022/04/the-alden-modified-last-and-anatomica-sizing.html#respond

Last edited by Rivella (2023-01-15 06:23:34)

#6 2023-01-19 00:25:03

Horace

Thanks Chum. Indeed.  That’s it.

No photo of the desert boot.  They had an Alden penny loader in window. 
And a cordo version of the Indy boot. 

And then two particular styles one a shoo and one a boot
That we’re in that peculiar French style. Don’t know what you call the shoe
But has the stitching running in parallel up the vamp.  Mostly seen this traditionally in Paris. 
Maybe Spain.  From cheap to expensive iterations.

#7 2023-01-19 00:47:19

Horace

Chum. Nice write up on the shop
In the link.  I’m more intrigued now
And despite the added cost of buying Alden offshore might
Just get there desert boot were they to have it next time around
The write up is correct that the shop is somewhat spare but the quality of everything
Is evident.  Not my cuppa, necessarily.  But some good togs.

#8 2023-01-23 07:24:32

AlveySinger

I plan on giving Anatomica a visit.

I don't think I'm staying too far from their store.

Shame they haven't got a working website.

#9 2023-01-24 01:07:55

Tomiskinky

Just got back from a long weekend in Paris.

Called in to Anatomica yesterday and had a wonderful chat with the chap running the store (not either chap in the above links) about provenience of clothes. He was talking about this lovely Burberry style coat that he went back to them to reproduce and the patterns had all been burnt! Ended up getting made in Japan. Had some lovely stuff, at eye watering prices ????.

Next time I’ll spend time trying on a few bits but my good lady was desperate for a comfort break.

Also popped into Le Vif vintage store as we were close by after visiting Le Corbusier’s studio.

#10 2023-01-25 05:57:47

AlveySinger

^ Hi Tom,

What prices are the overcoats

I noticed a rather nice herringbone one in a pic on PS.

A website I hate to admit I visited.

#11 2023-01-25 11:57:06

Tomiskinky

Hey AS, I didn’t look at the tags, but my guess will be high.

The Alden loafers were €1000+ so I think the coat will be nudging that way too, a couple of ladies from the US came in and tried one on, that’s how we got to discuss it.

The shop has some wonderful bits, the Lemmermayer cardigans were great and spotted a lovely orange cord b/d on the shelf. Didn’t really have the money to buy anything but thinking of going back in May with a bunch of friends for my 50th.

#12 2023-01-26 06:30:45

AlveySinger

Thanks Tom. Great feedback.

I'm in the market for a few specifics this year rather than the usual spontaneous purchases but as the store looks like it's only about 10 minutes from where I'm staying it's a must. The cord shirt sounds really interesting.

I've spent many a happy time in Paris but never really explored the clothing stores. It was always about music and dining. The French touch lounge/electro jazz stuff was a big part of my listening in the early naughties.

There is a small version of Hotel Costes in the same street. Worth staying at for a special occasion like your 50th.Interiors are by the legendary Jacques Garcia. My wife and I stayed there pre-daughter and thought it was really good.

#13 2023-01-27 05:57:23

Tomiskinky

Will have a look at that place, wife normally scouts out great places via TimeOut escapes.

Funnily enough Andy Wagon asked me the other day about Paris, not sure when he's going over. No doubt he'll be putting his French Ivy look into full effect.

#14 2023-01-27 18:40:52

Dulouz

In the Netherlands, Frans Boone still has some interesting Alden's - crepe soles, oiled soles, etc.  All sub €1000.

Board footer