You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-28 07:03:06

Kingston1an

Shapelessness

Was this a thing in bygone times?

If you admit duffle coats, possibly. Sack jackets were certainly accommodating compared to tailored fits.

The reason for the question is looking at modern clothing offerings. I suppose since snowboarding a baggy look came to the fore.

However, I think it has got to the stage where it is almost anti style. Chore coats and much of Uniqlo range seems designed for drones out of some dystopian vision. Looking good is now old fashioned maybe? Even marketing photos often make no attempt to hide poor fit on quite expensive clothing.

'You will look shabby and you will be happy.'

K.Shwab
Davos

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#2 2023-01-28 12:05:13

RobbieB

Re: Shapelessness

Most men I come across would actually improve on how they are dressed if they wore chore jackets or Uniqlo clothes. The shapeless, shabbyness I see is the result of people buying their clothes from JD Sports, Primark etc. I have noticed that I am one of the few blokes (in any age group) wearing leather shoes nowadays and wearing any collared shirt is considered smart if a little eccentric.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#3 2023-01-30 04:01:17

Spendthrift

Looking at webshops for Uniqlo, Massimo Dutti etc. I can see that Kingston1an is right. There's no personality there. The models are all good looking, chiselled young men (as you would expect), but the shapelessness of the clothing they're offering doesn't seem to bare any resemblence to the real world at the moment. Coats that somehow manage to look both too big AND too small at the same time. Trousers hanging straight down from the waist with flapping hems hovering around six inches from the ankle look like they're held up with a piece of rope ala 1940's comedy tramp. I can't help but feel that for retailers the margins are now so tight, with folks in general wanting to pay so little for clothes, that the quality of materials is now so poor, that they can't even make it look good on their own sites?

Really I'm long past worrying about what everyone else is wearing, let alone those thirty years younger than me, but I don't see many real people wearing this style on the street.

What I see is what Robbie does. JD, Primark, hoodies. And black plastic trainers. Again, it shouldn't bother me. Hats off to the guy that can get by with a pair of jeans and one pair of trainers and (hopefully) put his wages towards heat, food and a decent social life. But make it a pair of jeans in your size that don't drag on the floor while you keep pulling them up over the top of your arse. Make it a decent pair of white leather trainers.

I wore a pair of Cheaney chukkas through town this weekend (a fairly well heeled town if I'm honest) and as Robbie says, I'm pretty sure it was just me wearing leather shoes.

#4 2023-01-30 04:07:22

Kingston1an

Yes, the website is the main culprit.

In store, I look at their normal stuff . Socks, the gilet, merino jumpers.

As for leather shoes, Kiwi have pulled out of the UK market for shoe polish. I wondered why I could never see it. You used to get it occasionally in Poundland.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#5 2023-01-30 04:41:52

Spendthrift

'Kiwi have pulled out of the UK market for shoe polish'

I hadn't realised. Partly because I've mainly switched to cream. Partly because I've been guilty of dropping into Timpsons as they seem to be on every high st and outside every supermarket these days.

I suppose the amount of people buying leather shoes has dropped drastically. Take away from that people buying good leather shoes, and people caring for them, let alone enjoying polishing them, and there's not much of a market left for Kiwi to invest in.

I dropped Kiwi as I was polishing shoes to within an inch of their life, then putting them away for months. The petrolium wasn't doing them much good in the long term. I'll miss it though

Last edited by Spendthrift (2023-01-30 05:06:19)

#6 2023-01-30 06:58:47

Staxfan

The Mrs & I are staying at the Eastern & Oriental Hotel in Georgetown Penang, a fab colonial hotel from the 19th century, I wish I had a linen suit with me, probably one of the best hotels I’ve ever stayed in, but you should see the state of the dress of the majority of people here, yesterday evening at the canapés & drinks reception (6-7 pm nightly),there was some bloke in a vest & gym shorts, personally I wouldn’t have let him in, I want a pith helmet like the guys in the hotel wear !

#7 2023-01-30 07:04:48

Kingston1an

Stax,

It's the way of the world. You and I remember when you needed a collar and tie just to get into a suburban disco.

#8 2023-01-30 08:34:50

Staxfan

You’re right K, I can remember early 1970 almost not being allowed entry to the Top Rank in Brighton, suited & booted but they said my barnet was too long ! Our hair was growing out at that time,

#9 2023-01-30 11:58:21

RobbieB

Stax- No linen suit and you are staying at a 19Century Colonial Hotel?
Schoolboy error, surely? I really wanted the JS linen suit last summer but they never had my size.

No chance getting into Iford Palais back in 69/70 without a collar and tie. I stopped going when my hair was growing out 70/71.

On the subject of leather shoes I have noticed that city boys that travel up to Fenchurch St are wearing suits but with black trainers!  Probably expensive but somehow not quite right. The girls used to travel in white trainers but change footwear when they get to the office. Working from home seems to be waining as people return to the office at least for 2/3 days a week. I'm just enjoying retirement, heath permitting.

#10 2023-01-30 19:47:02

Staxfan

Robbie- something came up on a FB thread recently about the Upper Cut Club which was in Walthamstowe or thereabouts, it was a flyer for the club opening, just wondered if it was somewhere you’d been to as it was your side of town, they had some great live acts, Who, Hendrix, Geno Washington commanded the highest entrance fee, gents paid a higher entrance fee than ladies! I had heard of the club back around ‘67 from a couple of guys from East London I met on holiday, ( Puckpool IoW), same place Graham Clark had his holidays! It was owned by the boxer Billy Walker and his brother George who was the business man,

#11 2023-01-31 01:06:58

RobbieB

I knew of the uppercut club back in the 60s. I just missed out age wise on being able to go there. I have quite a few cousins  5-10 years older than me that were all living in the East End at that time and some were regulars down there. Billy Walker was a bit of a local hero and his brother George was 'respected'. I saw a flyer recently on Facebook for the Christmas period at the club and the cheap entrance prices were amazing for the 'acts'. Ladies paid less.

#12 2023-01-31 01:09:18

RobbieB

it's fair to say that all men would have been suited and booted at the Uppercut Club.

#13 2023-01-31 01:35:45

RobbieB

Our club in the 1970s was the Lotus Club opposite where the Uppercut Club was. It was somewhere we stopped at, on the way home, when the pubs were shut. Your missus might know it Stax. Both situated in Forest Gate, where I was born. By coincidence we met a Jewish Lady in Waitrose on Sunday who was born in the same hospital as me. What a great conversation we had.
Dress code by 1972 would have been more relaxed but you wouldn't get in with jeans, joggers, trainers or t shirts. All of my mates had long hair by this stage. David Essex lookalikes.

#14 2023-01-31 01:57:42

Tworussellstreet

My sister-in-law, on clocking my Trickers plain caps recently, "Oh look! You've got your proper shoes on!" cue mass giggling. She is 52. There is a culture of perpetual adolescence. Her partner likes it when he's described as a D.I.L.F. He is 49. He wears too tight jeans that hang just below his moderate beer gut. I find it depressing, having never abandoned quality leather footwear since I left school. That's the legacy of mod. You just can't wear bad shoes. It's core DNA. That said, I do like a mooch in Uniqlo, though it's not as good as it once was. Muji's the place to look now. Some excellent 2 button summer sack suits just in - really good shape. Trousers have a single pleat but drape beautifully and are a good length.

#15 2023-01-31 05:30:45

Spendthrift

2RS has absolutely hit the nail on the head there. There is a culture of perpetual adolescence. Kids are supposed to dress fashionably - and badly. It's what they do. I don't know at what point it was decided that they could just carry on dressing and acting the same through their fifties and beyond.

When you see that 45 year old man bowling down the street in too tight jeans carefully ripped at the thigh and a white puffer jacket, you just know he's on his way home to play a couple of hours on the X Box before hitting the high street for cheap early doors shots, lager and a kebab. It is depressing.

Muji aren't so prominent these days. I miss it. They had a nice minimilist way of presenting their clothes (we do both colours, white and blue) good socks and always smelled lovely

#16 2023-02-16 19:09:31

Dulouz

^^They do say that your fifties now are the new thirties. Must be all that botox and stuff.

Decent shoes has become niche. We're on our own now.

Here a lot of the middle aged dudes keep themselves pretty fit, I don't see any beer bellies or podgy guts on gents my age. But they've all got that look: tight fitting, washed out jeans and white trainers even this time of year. No distinction between the seasons.

And I'm almost at a loss to see anyone dressing any different.

There's a drab conformity of our times. I see in Italy as well. In the winter months a homogenous herd of black bubble coats.

Board footer