You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » On knowing when it's time to stop buying any more clothes...

#1 2023-01-28 14:09:11

colin
Bright Light

On knowing when it's time to stop buying any more clothes...

So, I must admit I've just purchased a 'holy grail' item that has always been hard to find....namely, a boom years bleeding madras jacket.

The jacket itself is beautiful - blues, reds, greens and yellow bleeding madras, natural shoulder, hook vent etc. Boom years, obscure brand. Unusually, it looks to be unworn and incredibly well stored. My only criticism would be the yellows appear to be a little bold - and part of me is saying 'wash it, let those colours bleed and the yellow will become muted'. The other part of me, says, 'you can't wash it - it's like a museum piece for ivy lovers!'. Besides the fact that - assuming the seller is accurate - it looks to have been made for me in terms of measurements, I felt like such a unique piece to get hold of, in terms of an appreciation for the look as something I really love.

Hopefully these links work to give you an idea:

https://ibb.co/q7gPhD7
https://ibb.co/Xzk39TH
https://ibb.co/zbvV8mP

Very much a pay day purchase - but then I got thinking: realistically I am going to wear this jacket incredibly rarely in London (or maybe holiday). It's not like it's easy to wear compared to something like tweed or corduroy.

And then I got thinking some more: I think there comes a time when you know you don't need any more clothes. And when you start buying and storing clothes, this probably isn't a good thing.

There are certainly a good few items that don't quite fit or don't quite work that I know I need to sell/pass on, and am going to make the effort to start clearing out space now.

It's good to know that places like John Simons are making good shirts (if the time comes down the line), and there ARE still good bargains to be had on ebay and the like (albeit with a bigger hit on cost/exchange/postage/import than before).

But I think there comes a time when - after years and years and years, of slowing finding vintage pieces and contemporary items that fit, mostly on a budget - there is a moment when you realise you have enough clothes.

Anyone else hit that point?

Last edited by colin (2023-01-28 14:50:18)

#2 2023-01-28 14:13:14

colin
Bright Light

Re: On knowing when it's time to stop buying any more clothes...

This reminded me of an old post from 'the weejun' following some wonderful deadstock madras shirts I stumbled across many years ago, which he also picked up from the same seller:

https://theweejun.com/deadstock-bleeding-madras-shirts-nice-little-haul/

“I don’t really need so many deadstock madras shirts".....hopefully this time is different!!!

#3 2023-01-28 14:20:02

FlatSixC

Colin - ‘ I think there comes a time when you know you don't need any more clothes.’

Are you feeling alright? Have you had a bang on the head or a sudden shock?

#4 2023-01-28 14:27:43

colin
Bright Light

Ha! Okay, well maybe never say never...

But beyond getting different colours of stuff - say, a brown herrignbone balmacaan - I just don't more stuff! (...apart from knit ties! - weirdly something I've never really 'stocked up' on)

#5 2023-01-28 14:35:42

FlatSixC

Colin - ‘but then I got thinking: realistically I am going to wear this jacket incredibly rarely in London (or maybe holiday). It's not like it's easy to wear compared to something like tweed or corduroy.’

Seriously, it’s a great jacket that you must wear around Kingston as soon as the temperature rises above 19C. Brass neck it in Spoons. Wear it and don’t give a fig for the sartorial hoi polloi. Wear it at every opportunity with polo shirts, plain tee shirts, chinos, faded jeans and canvas sneakers. Congratulations on a good capture.

#6 2023-01-28 14:40:40

colin
Bright Light

Jacket and sneakers always a risky game....but I'm willing to take that risk! Imagine getting a pint spilled down it, though....!

#7 2023-01-29 06:50:36

Tim

Smashing jacket, lucky man!
I occasionally go back and re-read bits and bobs of Gary's blog, it's a shame so few of the photos work now. I like his instagram stuff too but he was always a superb raconteur with the blog and his insta feed isn't quite the same.

I'll be buying stuff with my dying breath I expect but I'm possibly more unusual in that I never really buy stuff to squirrel away, with the exception of a pair of the FOB Bedfords I bought last year before piling weight back on, everything I've purchased in the last ten years is in rotation.
The struggle for me is finding replacements of much loved things as and when they wear out. I'd still like a pale blue gingham to replace my much loved Baggies bought from TRS on an early visit for example.
Plus I'm still developing my ideas about what suits me, what doesn't and wear to get it from.

#8 2023-01-29 17:53:40

The_Shooman
A pretty face

I told myself years ago that l don't need anymore shoes, but l still buy them every now and again. Just 4 weeks ago l announced l will not be buying any shoes this year, yet l ended up buying a pair last week because my favourite maker is so rare and hard to get, AND l love them. You see, buying good clothes never really ends because we love things so much. I have more than enough jumpers too (over 100), but l still go on the hunt from time to time because l love them.

#9 2023-01-30 04:18:09

Spendthrift

Tim; 'Plus I'm still developing my ideas about what suits me, what doesn't and wear to get it from.'

I wish I'd done this years ago, instead of developing my own 'smash and grab' style of shopping. What I've been left with is several massive piles of clothes and shoes and a 'Can't see the shirt for the Gants' situation every morning.

If funds allowed I would hire a unit, put everything in there save what I'm particularly into right now, wear that gear til it falls apart and treat the unit as a shop to return to and sort out a few more bits. Minimilist style with an endless supply of back ups off site. At least that way the gear would get a fair wearing.

But I probably will keep buying. Men have hobbies and men collect. At least I don't disappear to sit at the side of an empty lake with a fishing rod all weekend. Or have a collection of teapots that nobody's allowed to touch.

#10 2023-01-31 02:02:01

Tworussellstreet

I've slowed down, but I just can't stop. I still have this notion of the perfect jacket, or pair of shoes that I'll keep on chasing. And then my brain will conjure up some absurd need I must try and satisfy - "oh, this summer I really need a green and white gingham shirt to go with that new linen jacket..blah blah..". Then I'll go hunting for it, and buy it, and hate it, and so it starts again. The perpetual itch. My name's John and I'm a clothes addict. Help me.

#11 2023-01-31 04:18:13

AlveySinger

Yes, it's the search for perfection that is the clothes addicts fix.

Case in point. I wanted a camel coloured shetland to wear with a blue OCBD and Levis. Finally in the END sale I pulled the trigger. Yesterday I was wearing it and my immediate reaction was should I have gone for smaller size and something a bit more refined that the Jamiesons version.

Now, I'm searching again.

It never stops.

I also suffer from the knowledge that things will be discontinued. How I wish I would have bought more J Keydge Ivy jackets.

#12 2023-01-31 06:36:11

Kingston1an

Alvey,

I own a beige cotton Keydge Ivy jacket. I wear it in Summer. I even had the sleeves adjusted slightly for fit.

However, beige cotton was old man back in the day. Suit jackets were 12 month garments. If it got too hot you took it off. So the Keydge reminds me of my old history master more than anything.

Hardy and Johnson were a better option. Their stuff had a buggy lining to aid putting it on/ taking it off. John Simons jackets dispense with that.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#13 2023-01-31 06:47:38

Patrick

I don't wear most of what I have. That's a good sign I've got enough.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#14 2023-01-31 06:53:05

Kingston1an

Patrick,

Agreed. I often think certain items need a run out, particularly shoes. Cordovan plain caps today, no rain.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2023-01-31 06:53:43)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#15 2023-02-01 06:51:35

Patrick

I was moving into a casual mode anyway. After a while being the only person around wearing a necktie gets old.

The pandemic really iced things, though. For the better part of three years now I've been working remotely.

I've morphed into the Swamp Yankee look -- lots of LL Bean, Filson, etc. Open collar sport shirts. Short Bean boots for trips to the grocery store and post office (tattered boat shoes in summer). Elmer Fudd wool hunting cap in winter.

For really cold weather, I've got a hood/neck thing made of fleece that I bought for cold weather fishing. It certainly does the job but it makes me look like a member of Antifa.

I recently consigned or donated a goodish pile of stuff. Gearing up for another run at the sport coat rack.

The goal is to get everything in my two closets and not have free-standing racks.

It will be brutal.

Last edited by Patrick (2023-02-01 06:54:39)

#16 2023-02-01 07:01:04

AlveySinger

Kingy,
I have the beige cotton too.

I favour it with either ivory chinos or off whiter jeans.

Not the easiest to match though.

#17 2023-02-01 20:27:59

Dulouz

''I also suffer from the knowledge that things will be discontinued. How I wish I would have bought more J Keydge Ivy jackets.''

Have that afflicton too. RL does magnificent plaids and madras. It happens a load came in last month and I knew my size would be gone quick. So I bought 7 of them and right I was as all out of stock in a Large. And I keep on checking just to make sure I did right.

Wished I had kept my J.Keydge jackets, they had the right fit and silhouette. But not not always decent cloth. One I had was like a thick wool jumper.

I'm pretty much into clothes and music. Now that I'm streaming, I don't need to spend much of my discretionary income on ultra rare or audiophile vinyl. So that leaves clothes. And it's never enough.

I've stuff everywhere in boxes, shirts rolled-up and stashed in wardrobes. Shoes everywhere too.

The missus said the other day, ''They're not like you, when they buy shoes they last 10 years...'' To which the youngest retorted ''Momma, when papa buys shoes, they last for 30 years!''

#18 2023-02-01 22:07:09

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Thanks for sharing Patrick, very interesting to hear about your changes.

#19 2023-02-02 06:35:39

Patrick

Getting rid of shoes is particularly difficult. Ebay is the worst. Low-ball offers and impossible questions along the lines of "I'm 6'4, 280 pounds with a club foot and a neck beard. Will these shoes fit me, and may I have them for $5?"

I take the shoes to the local thrift shop, which uses the proceeds to help financially strapped people with medical bills. That kills two birds: Something good comes out of the donation, and an actual human being can try the shoes on and subsequently enjoy them.

#20 2023-02-02 07:21:08

AlveySinger

The key things I'm always on the look out are Ivy jackets in wool. In truth I have more than enough clothes to last but the classic patch and flap, single vent, 3 roll 2 is getting harder to purchase.

I have enough of the cotton/cord/seersucker/linen jackets to last. Given their weight and unstructured construction they're all pretty sloppy and only worth wearing for about 4 months of the year in the UK.

Shoes are in an interesting one. During a couple of recent trips to the States I noticed getting hold of traditional looking footwear was increasingly difficult. Back in the Eighties in Manhattan it was dead easy - Cole Haan, Florsheim, Timberland, Brooks all within a short distance of one another. So now when I see something that fits the bill I snap them up. The only problem being that the quality isn't a patch on what it used to be.

#21 2023-02-03 22:52:52

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Haha Patrick funny story, and yes l know how difficult it must be to sell your shoos.

As for my clothing journey, l am entering the high levels now and the pinnacle of my clothing journey. This means that l am having a minimalist wardrobe of highend custom staples that l can mix and match. Eg, three bespoke tweed coats for winter with seven bespoke 21 oz cavalry twill trousers which will see me through 6 months of the year. Along with that will be plenty of shoos, sox and cashmere turtlenecks for abundant combos. It is an impeccably thought out wardrobe of my dreams. All solid quality, versatile and classic. Everything will be well worn and enjoyed. In total l will only have about 6 sportscoats and minimal shirts. Maybe 25 trousers in all.

#22 2023-02-10 13:11:34

colin
Bright Light

Just received the above madras jacket....and it is a thing of real beauty and couldn't fit better were it made bespoke.

Wonderful natural shoulders, the tiniest amount of lining to keep its shape in the shoulders/sleeveheads, three roll two, hook vent, and no damage at all (which for vintage madras is nothing short of remarkable). When it arrived the lining had an almost thin-cardboard like quality - but realistically, I think that reflects it sitting in a cupboard for six decades. Clothes are meant for wearing not hoarding (as suggested above), so I've very carefully washed it and will gently press it tomorrow. Quite a lot of bleeding, no major blurring, but enough to take the edge off the slightly brighter tones (which, let's face it, is why new madras does not compare).

I've picked up a few 'holy grail' items over the years, but this is absolutely the top find. Feels like I've stepped into one of those bleeding madras adverts from the early 1960s as I don't think I'll see another quite like it.

Anyway, I'll post some links to photos once it's ready to wear (even if the weather might not permit it being worn for many many months!).

Last edited by colin (2023-02-10 13:13:44)

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » On knowing when it's time to stop buying any more clothes...

Board footer