You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-01 09:48:30

Kingston1an

Belts

Sad news that Equus belts of Durham are no more.

I have several of their West End belts. Top quality bridle leather from Sedgewick of Walsall - supple and comfortable to wear. I have an Oak bark tanned belt from Coryton, Devon but I think that leather is better on the soles of shoes - Crockett and Jones handgrade etc. Longevity is more of a thing with soles, as they have constant friction with the ground.

Equus offered a good range of colours, widths and quality buckles, brass stainless steel etc., in a variety of shapes.

There had been worrying talk of long waiting times before they folded. They would have a good order book but I think COVID may have impacted the workforce  They were a nice couple running it as well.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#2 2023-02-01 10:36:07

Sid Ford

Re: Belts

If anyone knows a good place to get a surcingle with leather both ends then please let me know...

#3 2023-02-01 20:09:35

Dulouz

Thought they had a pretty robust business. Who's next? My bet is Cordings, but maybe those looking for weekend country life can keep them going. If that's the case better stock up on their scarves.

#4 2023-02-02 03:20:20

Kingston1an

Cordings do not actually seem to have a lot in stock if you look online. That may be a bad sign going forward.

Then again, there are closures everywhere Paperchase shops and one thousand Stonegate pubs to name but two.

As for surcingle belts, the delightfully named Pakeman, Catto and Carter used to offer them. They went out of business a few years ago. Parking issues near their shop in Cirencester was the final straw.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2023-02-02 03:21:37)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#5 2023-02-02 03:54:38

Kingston1an

Smart Turnout also used to offer surcingle belts. No longer trading. Missed by military types as they did regimental stuff too.

#6 2023-02-02 04:13:57

plastic palm tree

Lands End sometimes does them.  Aside from that its https://www.elizab.com/surcingle-belts.html or O'Connels from the USA

#7 2023-02-02 07:28:14

AlveySinger

For surcingle in the UK  I use the Regimental Shop online. They refer to them as Webbing belts on their site.  I have recently had the Black Watch regimental belt - not to be confused with the tartan colour ways.

I have also bought from Eliza B and their quality is excellent.

#8 2023-02-02 10:25:28

Tworussellstreet

Eliza B - don't you end up paying through the nose for postage and customs charges..? Is it worth it? 

I loved JS's classic Canterbury belts with the horseshoe buckle back in the day.

#9 2023-02-02 13:37:27

plastic palm tree

Last time I ordered from Eliza B it was to a house I stayed at in Palm Springs for a week last spring.  Its corrected grain leather so I'd say no, not worth the postage, might as well go O'Connel's if you're gonna swallow a customs charge.  I spent ages trying to find a UK option and came up short.  Surely one of these horsey posh solider places must sell them?

#10 2023-02-03 06:30:50

RobbieB

Inspired by this topic I went back to read Weejuns 'whatever happened to the surcingle belt?' written in 2012. A good read. I have a few including an Anderson weaved belt for £20 bought from TKMaxx. Current prices appear to be over £100 which I think is too much for a belt. I'm not actually that keen on the horseshoe buckle, or at least not that bothered about that detail.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#11 2023-02-03 06:46:01

AlveySinger

^2RS,

I bought them in advance of going to Florida and had them shipped to the letting agents office. Corrected grain or not I find them really good quality.

To avoid customs/postage look at the Regimental Shop:

https://www.regimentalshop.com/collections/regimental-webbing-belts

#12 2023-02-03 10:13:48

Sid Ford

Thanks Alvey. The Regimental Shop looks like a good option.

Although I would like a non-brass option for the buckle.

#13 2023-02-03 13:03:21

FlatSixC

Anyone wear snake buckle belts when they were a boy? I was looking at these and felt a wave of nostalgia:

https://www.darcyclothing.com/products/elasticated-snake-belts-br750

I’ve never seen them mentioned in any discussion on Ivy clothing, but I fancy getting one for wearing with shorts in the summer. Just for old times sake.

#14 2023-02-03 13:08:44

plastic palm tree

Didn't mean to imply Eliza B no good - they're decent if you can get the US shipping.  The customisation is a plus.

Thanks for the link to the regimental webbing shop Alvey, that's exactly what I had in mind.

#15 2023-02-03 16:01:59

HOOT

Barrons Hunter make good surcingle belts, better quality than Eliza B.

https://www.barronshunter.com/

#16 2023-02-04 05:27:25

Tworussellstreet

Inspired by this chat I've just bought one from The Regimental Shop in Teddington. It looks good, decent materials and, most importantly, it's non-stretch. Only downside is the whiff of Brexit/Help for Heroes crap which places like this have. It's one of the problems with the Ivy/Prep look - that portion of the Venn diagram where it intersects with the right-wing/flag waving/borderline racist element. Hey, thought I'd stir it up a bit in a post about belts!

#17 2023-02-04 11:23:02

Kingston1an

"Anyone wear snake buckle belts when they were a boy? I was looking at these and felt a wave of nostalgia:"

Yes but I never saw any grown ups wearing them.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2023-02-04 11:24:22)

#18 2023-02-05 03:23:42

RobbieB

I think I stopped wearing snake belts at about 10 years old. Didn't wear any belts again till I was in my 20s and have been wearing belts ever since. Only ever wore braces for about 6 months and couldn't get on with them.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#19 2023-02-05 04:16:00

Staxfan

Yep I also wore these as a youngster, unlike yourself Robbie I’ve always worn a belt, apart from mtm suit trousers that had the built in elastic waistband or adjusters, you and Kingston1an will know what I’m talking about!

#20 2023-02-07 01:58:54

Horace

Chums Elizab and Barrons-Hunter are old school.  Been around private labeling (at less the later) for a while

For leather in the old days Coach.  Haven’t had them in years.  Alden and Filson are good these days for leather belts.

Polo and brooks used to do good croc

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#21 2023-02-07 10:35:10

AlveySinger

Last year I purchased a Barrons Hunter Grosgrain belt whilst on holiday

Really quick service and the quality is as good as the more expensive Polo belts I've had.

I wish I had up-sized slightly though as there is very little wiggle room for us guys who like to nosh.

#22 2023-02-08 06:23:30

Kingston1an

There are not many holes on a surcingle belt.  So changes in  waist size have a bigger impact.

I had one Smart Turnout surcingle shortened.

Equus shortened some leather belts, but a new hole could have been an option as there is more leather to play with.

Stretch belt might address increasing waistline.

#23 2023-02-08 08:20:22

AlveySinger

Kingy - those old Smart Turnout belts are superb quality.

Sadly the Barrons Hunter is Grosgrain with a D ring mechanism so no holes available.

#24 2023-02-09 04:00:08

Staxfan

I've found the JS McRostie(?) belts to be excellent, expensive yes but a lifetime of wear in them as long as your waist doesn't change dramatically, the Anderson weaved stretch belts are also very good and allow for expanding waistlines,

#25 2023-02-09 14:55:46

Rivella

Orvis used to stock some aswell, don't know if they still do. I actually bought mine in Edinburgh years ago and it's held up really well.

Board footer