You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-12 10:19:32

Patrick

OCBD blog is back

Oxford Cloth Button Down has revived his blog. No baloney, the guy just likes the clothes.

https://oxfordclothbuttondown.com/

Last edited by Patrick (2023-02-12 10:20:03)

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#2 2023-02-12 11:10:19

RobbieB

Re: OCBD blog is back

That is good news  I've always been impressed by the dress sense of OCBD . And he starts off with the burgundy Shetland! A particular favourite of mine.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#3 2023-02-13 02:45:21

FlatSixC

OCBD of course drops in here occasionally, there’s no pretence with him, it’s all about the traditional Ivy look and he never posts a bad outfit. He also further cements his Ivy/Prep image by driving a classic Subaru Outback.

#4 2023-02-14 05:36:07

AlveySinger

I've always liked his product reviews.

A few years ago he highlighted a chambray pop over from the supermarket chain Target that I managed to get hold of whilst on holiday.

A welcome return to Ox

#5 2023-02-15 12:30:36

Tworussellstreet

Patrick is right - no baloney. Problem is I like a bit of baloney, particularly those with a bit of spice or chilli. I really can't take all those pictures of a man in shetland crewneck sweaters and chinos standing on the same street corner every day of the year. I always thought it might be a bit of an art project, some conceptual thing, and OCBD might be gently mocking those who don sensible clothing. But, darn it, I think he's sincere.

#6 2023-02-15 15:02:46

FlatSixC

Be fair 2RS, sometimes he wears a blazer, shirt and tie with the chinos. But it’s always well matched and well fitted, it brings you back to the fundamentals.

#7 2023-02-16 05:52:04

Kingston1an

Fortunately he has never yet shown up in a chore coat or footwear with labels on the outside.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#8 2023-02-16 06:19:38

Tworussellstreet

Lovely chap I'm sure, and I think he once said there was a subversive edge in how he dresses, as he is actually something of a lefty, but I find those ultra-trad clothing combos a bit of a bore these days. The Ivy Look needn't be deadly dull.

#9 2023-02-16 08:27:30

oxford cloth button down

I appreciate the kind words folks. I know that I am a bit humdrum for some and that's okay. Thanks for the support!

Also I would definitely not call myself a leftist. I think politics is WWF wrestling for adults. To be fair I did once say on here that I think more like Noam Chomsky than Mitt Romney, but that was mostly meant to fend off being labeled far right which I was being labeled at time. Anyways, back to the clothes.

Last edited by oxford cloth button down (2023-02-16 09:39:07)

#10 2023-02-16 08:44:41

Kingston1an

You could consider a John 'Mr.Pastry' Bolton look to wind up 2RS. Of course you would have to grow a Mr.Pastry moustache as well

I do like the crossroad photos. There are seasonal changes, traffic, pedestrians The traffic lights and signage look appropriate too.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#11 2023-02-16 12:03:18

colin
Bright Light

If it helps, OCBD, I never got a Left politics vibe from you, but you do seem to operate at a distance from some of the baggage that comes with the ivy look on your side of the pond. Class, race and politics plays out differently with the ivy look - or at least aspects of it, e.g. blue blazers - in Britain compared to the US, I think. I always appreciated how you seem to dodge all that stuff. I also admired your quest for the perfect high waisted trim fit khakis!

#12 2023-02-16 12:49:14

Tworussellstreet

I have never doubted OCBD's utter dedication and expert knowledge of the look, and I applaud him for his remarkably long-standing commitment to what is after all a look that evolved on American shores. The Brits have always been a bit mad. I know I am. Sad to hear the Chomsky comment was just to throw off the rightwing lunatics. I pictured him planning the second  American revolution in those shetlands and khakis.

#13 2023-02-16 18:44:57

Dulouz

There was more than a whiff of McCarthyism around for awhile. Individuals were getting J'Accused! all the time. Most unpleasant and utterly bonkers.

What a fantastic looking baby OCBD and his missus has. You need to really enjoy all of that, once you get to the juvenile delinquent leader of the local shoplifting gang smoking weed and endless fines for jumping on public transport and not paying the fare phase, you'll look back at those earlier times as a bygone era of simple joy & innocence.

#14 2023-11-08 23:43:11

Horace

Don’t think I’ve ever read it. Thanks for posting delightful blog.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#15 2023-11-09 06:14:44

FlatSixC

Yes I hadn’t stopped in on OCBD’s blog for a while, but having done so it’s great to see he’s still dedicated to the traditional Ivy look, looking good in blazer and chinos, Shetlands etc and writing about it with passion. Going back into ‘Older Entries’ there’s a great article about old Brooks button down Oxfords. What self-respecting Ivyist doesn’t love talking about old Brooks shirts?

If you’re out there OCBD - thanks a lot for your work on feeding the Ivy flame.

Board footer