You are not logged in.

#1 2023-04-04 05:12:32

AlveySinger

THE LURE OF THE FLY FRONT RAINCOAT

Many years ago I invested in a classic Burberrys trench coat. Probably the late Eighties.

Purchased from their lovely Haymarket store that was the epitome of old world service and taste. It was expensive but given the material thickness, details and finish I was more than happy with it.

The trench coat served me well from an apocalyptic rainstorm in Manhattan to being used as an impromptu picnic blanket in Hyde Park.

Due the vagaries of fashion my trench coat lost some of its charm. It was considered old fashioned and cumbersome due to all its details. One girlfriend also pointed out that my father had exactly the same coat.

It was eventually consigned to a charity shop.

Over the years I've amassed quite a large collection of different types of coats. They're something that in reality you don't wear that much, can typically find in the sale and if you buy classics don't go out of fashion.

The one thing that was missing though is classic raincoat. I often find that I need a raincoat rather than a heavy overcoat. Most likely due to global warming the weather in the UK is wet rather than freezing cold.

I have a short JS mustard raincoat. Lovely looking but doesn't keep your knees dry.

I've looked around at all the usual suspects - Burberry, Grenfell, Chrysalis, Cordings. All quite pricey.

On Saturday I visited the Brick Lane Vintage Market. There to my delight was a long navy Burberrys raincoat. Great raglan shoulders and a longer length. It was in a very good condition and at £220 I believe I have snagged a bit of a bargain.

In the dark navy it looks sharper than the cream/sand colours of most of the other raincoats.

Whilst the short raincoats have the sixties spy aesthetic I find their length impractical for real world wear.

This time round I have no intention of this coat being discarded.

#2 2023-04-04 14:03:53

FlatSixC

Re: THE LURE OF THE FLY FRONT RAINCOAT

I love raincoats but always feel that it should be raining, or that there should be an outside chance of it, to wear one.

I have a decent collection. I’ve got a long fly front Grenfell, the first item I bought from Russell St about 20 years ago. A navy blue single breasted, fly front Aquascutum, bought from their now defunct Regent St store around 2012, it has taken on a slightly shabby and worn quality far to quickly for my liking, I guess quality wasn’t what it once was. A double breasted classic Burberry trench from Ebay that doesn’t get a lot of wear to be honest, it’s too much of a stand-out item really although it’s a fine garment. An olive green single breasted fly front Dunn and Co mac, a charity shop pick up some years ago, really great coat that I relish every time I wear it, olive green is such an Ivy colour.

If I was forced to restrict my self to one raincoat it would be a stone colour single breasted fly front London Fog mac I bought from Chris Hardy a few years ago. It has the Harry Palmer vibe about it and has a zip out furry liner so it’s very versatile. It’s a polyester mix and as tough as old boots. Being light it gets grubby and marked but you can just bung it in the wash and it comes up like new. That would be the rainwear in my Ivy capsule wardrobe if we spend all our money and move to a one bedroom flat.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2023-04-04 14:15:38)

#3 2023-04-05 05:18:40

FlatSixC

I notice the Grenfell website doesn’t work past the front page now. You can’t see anything for sale or buy anything. Perhaps another chapter in the chequered history of that brand?

#4 2023-04-05 05:55:14

Kingston1an

I have a very good Marks and Spencer trenchcoat bought for a song in their sale. The saleswoman even remarked on what good value it was. Burberry are silly money now and - label and lining apart - not much different to my coat. However proper coats are little seen these days. Short overcoats are ridiculous in my eyes.

I also have a single breasted Aquascutum as seen in various films. However, when worn in a rainy Manchester with my flat cap, it drew Victor Meldrew comments.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#5 2023-04-05 06:03:54

Kingston1an

Before Crombies in the 1960s, a very heavy gabardine fly front with a Prussian collar was popular - always navy blue.

A pal of my brother wore one for years. He was not a driver and the coat was part of his style for years. Being navy blue it was also a great drinking coat. Spillage was not really visible. Beige coats are very different. Black raincoats are a step too far though and were not common in the 1960s.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2023-04-05 06:05:31)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#6 2023-04-05 07:07:57

An Unseen Scene

Grenfell site was working just now. There is a major server outage affecting a lot of sites this week

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2023-04-05 07:08:11)

#7 2023-04-06 04:48:20

Kingston1an

Wearing the trenchcoat now. Rain predicted but none so far. Warmer than the Aquascutum and better pockets including a capacious shoplifters' one inside  left.

#8 2023-04-06 11:55:15

Staxfan

I was lucky to pick up a L’impeameable’ ‘Martin ‘ NWT by chance on eBay a year or so ago, sage green colour, £ 95.00, as I think Alvey mentioned you don’t get to wear them that often ,(unless you’re a commuter I guess ),so great value for an occasional wear item, I also have a grey birds eye’ish nos from Chiltern St a few years ago, fluffy zip out lining, it had a Sears tag on it, tbh not great quality but useful when I need to wear something over a suit , usually funerals.. haha,

#9 2023-04-06 12:40:15

RobbieB

I have a great BB fly front Mac with a removable cashmere lining. About 1000 dollars retail. I've worn it about 6 times in 15 years! I stand out too much when wearing it. I also have an Austin Read made in Japan Mac in navy. Hardly wear it because it seams too formal. Another Mac I have is a made in Italy hooded number. Fits me well but again I stand out when wearing it. I did wear it a few weeks back and got a few compliments.
The best Mac I ever had was when I was 15. The heavy gabardine prussian collar one described by Kingstonian. We all had them at my school.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#10 2023-04-08 06:17:07

RobbieB

I got an email from O'Connell's today offering a British are coming 10%off on British Isles products. No intention of buying anything but they had some nice macs on offer. Still expensive and I checked out one British company Chrysalis . Their web site said nothing available because of large orders recently! Good products, made in England, but pricey

#11 2023-04-08 08:39:50

Tim

I took O'Connells to task on Instagram over their calling Aran jumpers British. I've been in Ireland too long now, Tiocfaidh ar la!

#12 2023-04-08 10:23:35

RobbieB

Yes, I noticed the miss use of the 'British are coming' but you could argue that all the products are made in the 'British Isles'. The hats on offer are made in Ireland

#13 2023-04-08 10:32:03

RobbieB

'The British Invasion' not the 'British are coming'. I'll get it right in a minute. I've had a drink.

#14 2023-04-08 10:33:37

RobbieB

It does say UK made in the ad which isn't the case

#15 2023-04-09 04:37:37

An Unseen Scene

I'm tempted by the green raincoat at Community Clothing which is made in UK for sure.

Anybody tried one?

https://communityclothing.co.uk/products/mens-raincoat-olive-02

#16 2023-04-11 01:15:53

RobbieB

The JS cream coloured raincoat for £450 looks good posted on Facebook today. Only S and XS sizes?

#17 2023-04-11 15:15:30

FlatSixC

Unseen - ‘ tempted by the green raincoat at Community Clothing which is made in UK for sure.’

I’m a fan of CC and doubtless the materials and manufacture are great value. But there has to be a degree of utility to a raincoat in respect of doing its job and keeping you dry and that looks way too short for my liking.

#18 2023-04-12 05:03:03

Kingston1an

Agreed - though happy for someone else to make the point. Short coats are the order of the day though.

The opposite point could be made about someone stepping off the train at Bank station in a full length Drizabone coat. They would not get wet, but they really need to be herding stock to justify the garment.

#19 2023-04-12 12:05:43

An Unseen Scene

A short, lightweight coat works for me. I'm not that tall anyway and t is only needed between buses, train and the underground.

#20 2023-04-13 08:38:16

An Unseen Scene

It is sold out at Community Clothing in my size, so no purchase for now

#21 2023-04-13 19:34:12

Dulouz

As Kingy states, short coats are now the order of the day.

I've a few raincoats incuding vintage London Fog's and Hepworths. One of the best is a Levi one, believe it or not. But haven't worn any for a few years now.

The weather here from the middle of March to the beginning of May is often intermittent rain with 20 minute gaps and quite windy. Ideal rain coat weather. Hardly see anyone now in one. The street wear culture has arrived.

#22 2023-04-23 01:48:27

RobbieB

Red Mac being modelled in the doorway at no. 46. Too standout for me but looks good

#23 2023-04-23 02:17:28

FlatSixC

RobbieB - Red Mac being modelled in the doorway at no. 46. Too standout for me but looks good

You would need to wear it with shorts to get the full postman look.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2023-04-23 02:21:13)

#24 2023-04-23 08:07:14

RobbieB

FlatSixC- HaHa. I need to get my shorts on but not with that red Mac. Luckily My missus, who is petite, thinks that the Mac will be too big for her

#25 2023-05-05 12:23:03

RobbieB

Missus has gone and bought the Red Mac in XS. It fits her well except the sleeves are too long. JS offered to shorten them but she likes this to turn them back to show the check lining, which also looks good. She mentioned to me, without prompting, that she loves a raglan sleeve in a mac

Board footer