You are not logged in.

#26 2023-07-21 02:57:23

An Unseen Scene

Re: THE LURE OF THE FLY FRONT RAINCOAT

I still wanted an olive green mac/raincoat and looked around - most out of stock or too long for my height (I know some prefer that).
I've got a vintage Aquascutumn that's great, but not for darting between showers in city travels.

I've checked around a lot online, looked in some shops, explored some quality vintage - but nothing scratched the itch.

So for fun I ordered the Community Clothing one and the Jump The Gun to compare.

Community Clothing - sizing all out, made for a tall, thin person when I'm opposite of that so that's gone back. It was also waxed which I'm not a fan of and some of the finishing, especially on the button holes wasn't good enough. 

Jump the Gun - well I'm suspicous of any 'scene' oriented clothing these days, but you know what - it's great, especially for the price. Good fabric, simple design, right colour, the lining isn't patterned, it fits well.  It will definitely do and doesn't have anything intrinsically 'scene' based about it.  I don't know where they manufacture which is my only niggle, but as a coat - it's right.  For the comparatively modest price, it is better than expected. 

I'm still on the hunt - do post up any thing 'classic' style macs you spot of relevance here (especially if in olive green).  I'd gladly pay more but there do not appear to be many options around, even such as Charles Tyrwhitt (the office person's choice these days it seems), MS, Next, John Lewis (the base highstreet I guess) is out of them.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2023-07-21 03:12:21)

#27 2023-07-23 13:13:35

FlatSixC

On and off for a long time I have looked at the Grenfell Farringdon raincoat, the rationale being to reduce my raincoat collection down to one coat that does it all.

https://grenfell.com/collections/rain-coats/products/farringdon-grenfell-cloth-beige

It’s not olive, but quite an ‘olivey’ shade of khaki, single breast, sensible size collar, slash pockets for loafing about. I would prefer not to have the adjuster straps at the cuffs but I could live with that detail. Plus there is the option of a liner for the winter.

Not cheap but Grenfell quality is still up there with the best.

Maybe a bit long for your requirements Unseen?

#28 2023-07-24 04:35:44

An Unseen Scene

Hi, I like Grenfell as you know and have their harrington in signature fabric across three colours, including the Khaki. Assuming its exactly the same fabric, it definitely is more of a brown than a green type khaki. The green of their Olive harringtons would of been perfect (which I have) but the mac isn't in that.

As you say, at my height, it would go very long as would the comparable one by Daks. I'm 5' 6" so genuinely long macs can be near my ankles which isn't a good look. The Daks coat does look very good and their khaki is more green: https://daks.com/collections/ss23-mens-outerwear/products/mw04fm2g0241

The length and as you say, the cuff adjuster straps do not work for me.  I've got nice Jaeger macs I do wear in other colours that have cuff adjusters and I find they get caught on things during travel across bus, train and tube.  They aren't necessary these days, so I try to avoid them now.

I did check the ventile one by Private White but that wasn't right either in colour or style.  Ironically all I wanted was a very simple green mac in a decent fabic and fit.

#29 2023-07-24 05:12:18

Kingston1an

Overcoats and raincoats are plentiful on the second hand market. Nobody wears them anymore. They'd rather get wet.

I have an Acquascutum from eBay and various overcoats from Crombie cloth. I also have a new Crombie and a new Marks and Spencer trenchcoat which was very good quality in a sale decades ago. I still like the Crombie British Warm a lot though it's not really an Ivy item.

Second hand coats and jackets are fine for me. Second hand shirts are a definite No.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#30 2023-07-24 10:00:01

An Unseen Scene

I see a bit of a rainmac resurgence, not to 1950s levels, but plenty around when I'm in London each week and travelling.

I have a lovely Aquascutumn but it's pretty hefty for light rainshowers.

Board footer