You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Ivy Style Values: The Blatant Dishonesty of John Burton

#1 2023-04-20 15:02:28

IvyStyled

Ivy Style Values: The Blatant Dishonesty of John Burton

Please forgive the self-link but I thought the group might be interested in this longer piece I put together about John Burton from Ivy Style. Excerpt:

In the 15 months since officially announcing his takeover of the Ivy Style website, John Burton’s tenure as the self-proclaimed "preeminent digital Ivy influencer"  has had a decidedly mixed response from his audience. While a significant number of readers have complained about the site’s quality (including a credible allegation of plagiarism), Burton claims to have "quadrupled the site’s monthly traffic"  within the first year and has boasted that the Ivy Style Facebook page has an engagement rate "higher than GQ and Esquire’s combined."

It is against this backdrop that Burton launched the premiere episode of Ivy Style: The Podcast in December 2022 with a preposterous fabrication about his personal success.

https://ivyjivy.tumblr.com/post/714344276987953152/ivy-style-john-burton

Last edited by IvyStyled (2023-04-20 15:03:38)

#2 2023-04-21 13:03:19

FlatSixC

Re: Ivy Style Values: The Blatant Dishonesty of John Burton

I lost the will to live about half way through that. I haven’t looked at Ivy Style for an age, Burton has made the site irrelevant to anyone with a serious interest in the subject. It became obvious to me that he had a screw loose when he banned me (one of the greatest living experts on Ivy clothing) from the Ivy Style facebook page. Ha-ha!

#3 2023-04-21 17:14:00

Streetlight

Great. It's WAR!

#4 2023-04-22 01:22:31

Sammy Ambrose

Give John Burton a break.

He's just trying to make few dollars like Chenners before him.

Now that he has stopped disagreers and trolls from commenting the site is even less interesting  than stuff churned out by Craptom and Downton Abbey wanabee Kirby.

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#5 2023-04-22 02:58:30

FlatSixC

I wouldn’t give Burton any breaks Sammy.

Chens came in for a lot of criticism for being a shill for various brands but, as has been said, he set up Ivy Style to hustle an income out of it. He had a down on the British thanks to the trolling of JFM. None the less he produced some well researched, interesting and readable content for several years, although unfortunately he tolerated an unsavory crowd of followers and did little to combat their prejudice and bigotry in the comments section. Many considered him to be a charlatan, but then came the self absorbed and self agrandisising twit Burton, who clearly knew nothing about the Ivy look. I think Chens had long since lost interest in the project and was just relieved someone came along to take it off his hands.

#6 2023-04-22 07:08:25

An Unseen Scene

Really, are we back to this?

#7 2023-04-22 09:37:11

Sammy Ambrose

An unseen scene asked , " Really, are we back to ( talking about the  Ivy Style website)?"

Isn't it a bit funnier than the price of a pint in Spoons?

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#8 2023-04-22 11:31:25

Kingston1an

Isn't it a bit funnier than the price of a pint in Spoons?

Meanwhile Barry Humphries RIP.

Condolences to the  dressedwell Aussie contingent.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#9 2023-04-22 13:00:57

FlatSixC

An Unseen Scene -‘Really, are we back to this?’

No one said it was compulsory!

However, it was news to me that Burton had been up the steps on a felony rap, several counts of Grand Larceny, given five years probation and ordered to pay nearly $70,000 restitution to his victims. That does tie in with his bizarre delusional behaviour since taking over Ivy Style.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2023-04-22 13:30:07)

#10 2023-04-26 06:26:14

AlveySinger

Without wanting to get into the debate about the current owner/editor of Ivy Style I think it's worth highlighting that the content has changed/reduced dramatically.

As CC was based in New York I liked his regular store/merchandise reviews.

I used to have a few sites I visited at my desk whilst having a sandwich. Sadly a number of them have disappeared or aren't as good as they once were. I don't bother with Ivy Style now.

In no specific order they included the JS Facebook page,  The Daily Prep (now Salt Water New England), Talk Ivy, Unabashedly Prep, Ask Andy, The Weejun (thankfully he's back) Mod Culture  although not a mod there are some good book recommendations on there) , the London Jazz Collector and Die, Workwear.

#11 2023-04-26 13:03:29

Streetlight

Hello ChatGPT, can you write me a blog post on Ivy clothing, some item in particular, in the style of Christian Chensvold

Sure, here is a blog post on Ivy clothing and the timeless style it represents, inspired by the writing of Christian Chensvold:

Ivy clothing is more than just a fashion choice - it's a way of life. At its core, Ivy style represents a timeless elegance and understated charm that has captivated generations of men and women alike.

One standout item from the Ivy wardrobe that perfectly embodies this ethos is the classic blazer. Made from high-quality materials and featuring clean lines and simple details, the Ivy blazer is a must-have for anyone seeking to achieve a timeless, effortless look.

To truly appreciate the Ivy blazer, one must first understand the ethos of Ivy style. At its essence, this style is all about a commitment to quality, simplicity, and functionality. Ivy clothes are made to last, with an emphasis on durable materials and timeless design elements that never go out of style.

This is particularly evident in the Ivy blazer. Made from fine wool or cotton, and featuring classic details like flap pockets, notch lapels, and a two-button closure, this jacket is a true investment piece that can be worn season after season, year after year.

One of the key advantages of the Ivy blazer is its versatility. It can be dressed up or down with ease, making it a great choice for everything from professional events to casual outings with friends. Layer it over a dress shirt and tie for a sophisticated office look, or pair it with a polo and chinos for a laid-back weekend outfit.

Ultimately, Ivy clothing represents a commitment to style over fashion - to timeless elegance over fleeting trends. With its focus on quality, simplicity, and functionality, the Ivy blazer is a perfect embodiment of this philosophy. It's a wardrobe staple that can be worn for years to come, always looking effortlessly chic and timeless.

So if you're looking to elevate your wardrobe with a piece that embodies the spirit of Ivy style, look no further than the classic blazer. With its enduring appeal and timeless elegance, it's a must-have item that every fashion-conscious person should have in their closet.

#12 2023-04-26 19:50:42

Dulouz

^Ha! Ha! That ChatGPT is pretty good. You can get it to write poetry in the style of any poet or metre, about any subject you want. It really is quite entertaining. I did some work related stuff as well, and whilst the responses were not fully formed, they were a lot more indepth than a layman's response.

Didn't know Burton was an ex-con!

#13 2023-04-29 23:23:27

summerdad

This is a black day for The Burton Group of Online Communities.

#14 2023-05-15 07:39:00

AlveySinger

The Ivy Style site is sadly a shadow of what it was.

They post about twice a week now. One being on ladieswear on a Wednesday.

It can't be because there is nothing to new to write about either.

How about something on the new Press label or some images of their new store.

Kamakura continues to produce Vintage Ivy shirts that are worth writing about. An interview with Graham Marsh would be really interesting.

Brooks has gone through a massive shift so surely that must be worth an article or two. I'm sure their press officer would love to arrange an interview with Bastian.

How about a review of what's good at Orvis, Bean or Lands End.

Ivy Style used to have credibility based on content and frequency. As soon as you falter your readership declines and subsequently so does your value and importance.

There is also a lot of historical content that could be revisited and updated.

Finally, before anyone gets their knickers in a twist about my comments I would like to clarify:

1) I'm in no way anti anyone connected with the site. This isn't personal attack.

2) I haven't previously had any dealings with either JFM or CC.

3) Yes, I'm a Brit but the heart of the above is about lack of content rather than my Ivy credentials

4) CC occasionally got things wrong but you couldn't falter his effort

#15 2023-05-21 10:45:01

Yuca

The news that he's a compulsive liar comes as no surprise, as his lies are neither feasible nor consistent. It's also fair to say that he's one of the worst dressed people online, knows little to nothing about ivy style and is incapable of writing a legible sentence. My limited (online) personal contact with him also suggests he's unstable.

Meaning his tenure at Ivy Style is unlikely to be successful.

Talking of which, I've not visited IS in many months but will give it a quick look for old time's sake.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#16 2023-05-21 10:49:10

Yuca

His constant references to his daughter are also painful to read.

some sort of banal legitimacy

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Ivy Style Values: The Blatant Dishonesty of John Burton

Board footer