You are not logged in.

#1 2023-04-24 08:05:12

Kingston1an

Capsule wardrobe

All the talk of great new gear and potential purchases put me in mind of dear old Russell Street RIP and the boxes of kit that he seldom wore.

I am an age where I have a lot of stuff and don't really want to add much unless it wears out.

It's not all Ivy. There are work suits that only come out for funerals, weddings or a night at the opera. Cordings stuff and tweed jackets too.

It's quite enjoyable wearing items that have not had a lot of use.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#2 2023-04-24 08:06:42

Kingston1an

Re: Capsule wardrobe

Maybe capsule is the wrong word. Complete may be better.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#3 2023-04-24 10:07:53

RobbieB

In between hospital appointments in England,  I was able to visit my place in Finland over Easter, for a couple of weeks. I did a clothes stocktake there and was shocked to find I had at least 30 decent shirts in my cupboard. I also ironed 30 t shirts and the same number of boxer shorts. I won't mention the shoes and the rest. Today, back in England, my missus did some tidying of cupboards and ironed another 30 t shirts.I think I have been in denial with buying clothes in the last few years. I often find clothes that I've never worn in the back of the wardrobe. With my recent Jake shirts purchases (to fill a gap) my missus suggested I was losing it. ( I must have 30 quality shirts here).
I still think I need a decent linen suit though and I want to buy more Jake shirts. I don't need anything really if I'm only around for another 10 years or so. HaHa it's a harmless obsession.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#4 2023-04-24 10:10:54

FlatSixC

I can relate to this, I struggle to think of anything I really need in the clothing department. As I’ve said elsewhere I have clothing for working in the house, garden or garage, clothing for lounging about it, smart stuff is only put on when I go out. So the smart stuff is unlikely to ever wear out as I’m in my mid sixties.

I’ve got a full Ivy wardrobe and unless I gain or lose large amounts of weight it’s going to last me out, but I never stop looking at clothes. What I foresee for the next few years is reducing and refining my holdings. Jakes Shirts interest me, so maybe instead of a drawer full of Oxford button downs - a handful of really good ones. Instead of four or five raincoats - one that does everything. One pair of loafers … well maybe two. One pair of longwings etc etc ….. mind you I’ve been coming out with this shit for years!

#5 2023-04-24 13:38:11

colin
Bright Light

Who was it on here years ago who suggested to 'shop your own wardrobe'? Wise words, I think. There's always stuff which didn't seem to quite work before, or you simply forget about it, only to discover that there's great stuff you're not wearing.

One of my things of late has been to get all the stuff that I meant to get altered to the alterations place (if I can't do it myself, e.g. turning collars). Well worth bringing stuff into circulation.

My plan was to buy no new clothes, but saw a perfect brooks herringbone tweed sack on ebay the other day and couldn't resist. I always wonder when the good stuff will dry up, but some of my best vintage clothes have been in recent years, so maybe now the 'ivy boom' is long gone, there'll be enough of this mass produced stuff to keep us going?

#6 2023-04-25 07:37:19

AlveySinger

My wardrobe is in a state of transition. Although less formal than ever before I appear to have made certain rules about the level of casual attire I wear.

For example, if I was going out for dinner or meeting a client I like to wear a sports jacket and proper trousers.

During the day I might wear a sweatshirt or t shirt but wouldn't consider them appropriate for the office. Similar to bright madras checks. They look great on holiday or during an evening out but can appear too fun for work.

Also, Jeans are bigger part of wardrobe. Although I have them tailored for a more well-fitted appearance they are still jeans.

I'm off to a wedding in June and I'm planning to wear a casual suit. I can't remember the last time I wore a suit to work.

I have learnt that casual clothing isa much harder balancing act than simply throwing on a suit and tie.

The capsule wardrobe is something I aspire to but somehow with my rules I find impossible to master. The nearest I've come to it is preference for all things navy blue. Working to a limited base colour has helped reduce the options - but where is the fun in that?

Board footer