You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-03 03:11:27

Kingston1an

Barrie cashmere

Interesting article (to me anyway)in The Times. I have a couple of their v necks from House of Bruar. Good stuff.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/barrie-scottish-mill-making-cashmere-for-chanel-times-luxury-kcs9xsf78

If there is a paywall copy the link into archive.vn

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#2 2023-05-03 16:12:59

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Re: Barrie cashmere

Barrie is perhaps making the best cashmere jumpers in the world today for the likes of Hermes; nice and beefy jumpers with little pilling. Having worn dozens of the top makes in multiples, l can make this statement. They also make the Chanel cashmere jumpers that can sell for $6,000 USD or more. Overpriced, but sadly, that is what is often needed these days to get quality (pay business' more to eliminate shortcuts in cashmere production). Loro Piana may even use better cashmere, but it is not spun as densely. Barrie for Hermes is more like the old school jumpers, something you don't see from other brands today; but still, they don't match some of the old school vintage jumpers like Ballantyne and Lyle & Scott etc.

Buying proper cashmere is a rich man's game these days: the market is so unpredictable with so much cashmere now prone to pilling. Even 3K jumpers can pill all over after a few wears. Only by going to Hermes or Loro Piana can one minimize this problem. Paying for quality is  so costly these days, but sometimes one can get lucky with cheaper jumpers that hold up well. The markets have been corrupted imo.....too many growers mixing junk cashmere in with the good stuff to bolster profits; maybe even over population of goats and the feeding conditions may effects things too. The market, the land and feeding conditions are all a mess, and consequently so is the cashmere. Recycled cashmere is also a problem. Barrie seems committed to fixing this problem, and bravo to Loro Piana for doing the same thing.

#3 2023-05-04 05:11:49

Kingston1an

Barrie three ply for House of Bruar is reasonably priced. Waiting for a particular colour may be an issue. They are not always available.

Other than that, they are a good buy. I only got interested when all the Hawick mills started closing. Was meaning to visit the town but have not yet got round to it .

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#4 2023-05-04 12:29:03

The_Shooman
A pretty face

I have a Barrie lambswool polo in speckled light blue. It is thick with big collars, and it is a work of art. Wish l could post pictures, it is amazing.

Board footer