You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-02 12:09:08

AlveySinger

J PRESS BEYOND THE HYPE

I like the idea of J Press.

You know - that traditional menswear vibe of everything from PJ's to belts. The heritage, the made in the USA items, the Barbours, shetlands , tartan shirts.

I'm a sucker for the haberdashers of Olde New York schtick.

Sadly, the reality is far different from the hype.

Here's a few examples.

Certain shirts are marketed as having a third collar button. I think this is an important little detail so obviously when the shirt turns up and it's missing I'm not happy. The returns process is difficult so I let that one go.

I like the cotton sweaters heavily promoted on their website. According to their size chart they're classic fit and a small is 42". Laughable I couldn't get the small to fit even without a shirt underneath. I would suggest they're closer to a 38"

Finally, and I've saved the best to last, they used to show a tartan drizzler  jacket with a collar. Good price so ordered one to arrive to coincide with recent trip to Florida. Jacket turns up and rather than being as it's shown on the website it's a varsity style jacket with no collar. I ring customer services and nobody gets back to me. Next stop, I ring the New Haven store. Sales man very sorry says he will address the issue pronto. I stress I still want the jacket shown on the website.

(Again, sizing on this item was problematic as it came from the new Pennant label. Their initial recommendation was to size up that made the jacket fit like a tent.)

Four days later the replacement jacket arrives. Guess what? It's another varsity jacket.

I give up. They have subsequently removed the offending image from their website.

The returns policy is slow and you need too spend time completing forms.

I'm sure their are many out there who will praise Press to the rafters. I can only go on personal experience.

Buyer beware.

#2 2023-08-03 13:53:25

Kingston1an

Re: J PRESS BEYOND THE HYPE

Alvey,

You can't beat turning up to the store and examining the goods.

Online may be the only option sometimes, but the J Press experience will not be unique.

Fortunately, other online purchase issues may be less expensive.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#3 2023-08-04 05:49:02

Staxfan

Alvey - your dedication to authentic Ivy is admirable, I'd have given up on Press after that 3rd button missing !

#4 2023-08-05 06:50:32

FlatSixC

Alvey - are there any hassles involved in returning stuff to J Press? Customs forms etc.

#5 2023-08-06 09:06:45

AlveySinger

F6C
I was still in the States so there was no customs fees required

The issues are you can’t just return stuff you have to contact them

If the return is a sizing issue even if it’s their atrocious measurements you pay .

For incorrect items you wait on a free post label and then have complete an online exercise using the order code.

All tediously time consuming.

I will stick to shirts and shaggy dogs only from now on

#6 2023-08-06 09:09:05

AlveySinger

Kingy

I have had a run of bad luck online recently that has included Brooks, Original Madras Trading, Press and Bills.

But I just gotta feed the habit

#7 2023-08-14 11:49:26

Jdemy

Never bought into that flap pocket myself.

#8 2023-08-15 13:53:44

AlveySinger

^Jdemy

Love the flap pocket. It feels different from the conventional ocbd.

It's something that isn't so visible in the UK.

#9 2023-08-17 05:24:44

Jdemy

I am looking around on eBay for a Press, white, OCBD - just to get a feel for their standard make.

#10 2023-08-22 07:13:30

Jdemy

Are their older shirts like Brooks’s— with no lining or interfacing in the collar and plackets?

#11 2023-08-22 09:55:14

AlveySinger

^Jdemy

It's really difficult to answer that. I had an older shirt from 6 years ago bought from their Washington store and it feels very different in composition to my recent ocbd purchase.

I think they have had several versions of OCBD over recent years but it's difficult to say when the changes were made.

#12 2023-08-22 15:11:09

Yuca

'Are their older shirts like Brooks’s— with no lining or interfacing in the collar and plackets?'

I've never seen 1 in the flesh, for sale or worn by a vintage collector, however if I recall correctly, Kevin Spacey wears a flap pocket BD with a proper roll in Glengarry Glenn Ross, and I strongly suspect it's a Press. The film's from 92 so the tail end of the soft collar era. Certainly in the 50s Press would have been deterring ivy wearers by putting lining in their collars.

Although for thinner cloths such as on sports shirts, even Brooks used a light lining. It was with Oxford cloth that no lining was necessary.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#13 2023-08-22 15:17:34

Jdemy

Thank you, both. I bought a very cheap Press shirt the other day from a thrift shop. It’s a nice tight cotton and I suspect it’s their pinpoint. Almost feels like a percale.  It’s too big for me- but fine for around the house.

Board footer