You are not logged in.

#1 2023-10-21 02:48:39

FlatSixC

Cardiff Ban On Button Downs and Chinos

Picked this story up from the Ivy League Facebook page:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/oct/20/cardiff-university-students-union-bans-chinos-and-blue-shirts-after-violence

#2 2023-10-21 03:02:04

Staxfan

Re: Cardiff Ban On Button Downs and Chinos

FSC - A friend mentioned this to me yesterday evening when we were putting the world to right over a bottle of wine , although he doesn't dress 'Ivy' like most of us on here he nevertheless like a lot of us wears blue b/d shirts and light coloured 5 pockets as he was yesterday, me in beige chinos and grey/blue b/d, so if this ban spreads we're all buggered, or at least 90% of our wardrobes are ! We may need to go more olive like Alvey has !

#3 2023-10-21 11:14:21

FlatSixC

Staxfan - cripes we might have to stop going to nightclubs!!

#4 2023-10-22 04:05:37

An Unseen Scene

The Yuppies are back

#5 2023-10-25 05:43:45

AlveySinger

Having read the article the immediate thing that came to mind was how powerful the feelings were about a uniform as opposed to the actual behaviour of the students in question.

Banning ocbd's and chinos will simply mean those involved will simplyy shift to another uniform of choice. I would have thought the Union would understand this.

The association of preppy wear in the USA with the far right is news to me. Typically they're far more obvious with nazi symbols.

During the early eighties the real troublemakers at football dressed like professional golfers or tennis coaches. They would amble past the authorities whose focus was on the ordinary fans in scarves and football shirts.

It took the police about 4 years to work it all out.

Board footer