You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-17 06:45:18

AlveySinger

IS LESS IS MORE?

I've always been interested in clothes. Over the years, like most, I've experimented with certain looks but never strayed too far from what we used to call American

I'm now mid Fifties and still enjoy looking for stuff but I've noticed a certain change in my thinking.

My preferences are getting a bit narrower and the brands I like fewer.

There are certain things I doubt I'll ever buy again - suits and ties.

I also begrudge brands that overcharge. Yes, Ralph I'm talking about you.

How many of you are experiencing the same thinking?

Should it be this way?

Clothing is now so easy to get hold of. You don't even have to leave the comfort of your chair or bed. Fast deliveries and free returns. Pay on your credit card. Buy and sell on eBay.

Whilst not quite a uniform I'm sticking now to pretty strict parameters including colours.

I would like to find a good navy polo shirt that withstood washing, maybe some Alden loafers, off white 5 pocket cords and a heavy tweed herringbone overcoat - and then I'm done. I might have everything I now need to take me through retirement.

Last edited by AlveySinger (2023-11-17 07:33:11)

#2 2023-11-17 11:55:52

An Unseen Scene

Re: IS LESS IS MORE?

Yes indeed, it is probably a stage of life thing and also needing far less. If being honest, there is also less opportunity to show the clothes too, so somehow it then matters less.

I received a promotional email from Private White with a long herringbone tweed coat this week. In writing this I checked the price...blimey

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2023-11-17 11:56:27)

#3 2023-11-18 03:23:24

FlatSixC

On arriving in what people tell me are the sunlight uplands of retirement, my clothing needs have definitely changed. Formal suits and ties, already on shaky ground due to the advance of business casual, are now out in the cold. Loved but no longer needed, the top line off the peg J Press suits that I acquired over the years in their annual heavily discounted sales, now languish in the wardrobe with little chance of being worn in anger again, such a shame. I’ve begun the weary business of selling  off my suit stable. A chum who is still has need of them recently bought 3  vintage ones from me. Only for the parcel company Evri to lose them in transit, necessitating me to refund him and make a claim from them.

I aim to retain 2 or 3 suits, summer and winter weight for occasions that that I still see as requiring one. The remainder of my holdings will be casual, but my current focus is gradually disposing of stuff that never gets worn. There is little point in having Shetlands in 8 colours if you only ever wear 3 of them. So it’s about slimming down the stock of everything and the occasional upgrade here and there.

I still have a place for sports jackets, cords and chinos, there’s still opportunities to make the effort to look good. A few days ago l attended a reunion of old work colleagues and I deployed a JS cord suit with a Chambray shirt and knitted tie., a casual but smart look. There was one other guy present, out of 150 or so, who wore a sports jacket, collar and tie - not Ivy but he had evidently put some thought into dressing, so we complimented each other! The rest ranged from smart casual, the sort of dress I imagine you might see in a golf club (if I ever take up golf I’ll confirm this), through to T shirt and jeans. Rugby shirts are popular in the West Country where we were and there were a few of them on display, proclaiming allegiance to Exeter Chiefs and the like, a cut above football shirts I guess. Looking around the room I was glad I had bothered to wheel out the Ivy clobber. I had a few of the usual remarks like ‘Ah, you’re looking very dapper’. …Bloody Dapper … that phrase always feels slightly mocking to my my mind. But hey ho, I wear what I like to these things as I’m well beyond worrying about fitting in with any particular crowd.

But on a day to day basis, when at home I have a sort of uniform for gardening, motorcycle and MG maintenance, which consists of British Army/Trouser/Mens/Lightweight/Olive Green, navy blue workwear polo shirt and, dependent on temperature, vintage Champion college sweatshirt and 60/40 parka. I have a reserve of each of these garments that should last for years.

Overall I’m kind of sorted, enough stuff to see me through until I no longer care what I look like. I don’t care for online shopping much, unless it’s good quality used clobber on ebay which requires a bit of thought and hunting down, or buying new stuff from independent traders like JS or All Blues.  As the smarter stuff gets less wear it lasts longer. Oh well, it will all end up as landfill one day haha!

Last edited by FlatSixC (2023-11-18 03:30:30)

#4 2023-11-18 03:52:02

Staxfan

FSC - Like you I'm also in 'the sunlight uplands of retirement', and like you find my clothing requirements are less and less, just yesterday I was looking through my winter wardrobe, 4 shetland crews, don't need any more, 6 sports jackets - 2 heavy tweeds, 2 lighter weight wool, 2 keydges, that'll be enough,I try to wear each of them at least once a year ! plenty of oxfords, ( although a new Gitman blue stripe arrived yesterday !), TBH I seem to just replace things that wear out now, trousers mainly, I decided in my mid 50's to go pretty much full Ivy as I thought a) it would last and not date any more than it already had, b) stop buying items (non Ivy) that I got fed up with fairly quickly, probably one of the best decisions I've made clothing-wise, and like Alvey I stick to the brands I know & trust, Jamieson shetlands, Gitman shirts, Uniqlo & Cordings chinos, Astorflex dessies, sorted !

#5 2023-11-18 06:21:52

Streetlight

Cordings chinos seem to have changed slightly, sized maybe a half inch smaller so the fit no longer matches me. Of all the places you would hope might stay consistent...

#6 2023-11-18 07:34:12

RobbieB

I recently did a purge of my wardrobe and got rid of clothes that I no longer wear or need. When I worked in an office I could justify having plenty of clothes to chose from, wearing a different 'outfit' every day. That now seems a long time ago. I still get a kick out of buying clothes, however, so I suppose I will go on buying shoes,shirts and strides even though I am sorted and could probably get away with only buying t shirts, Sox's and boxers. I dress for myself but I'm continually surprised how often relatively scruffy geezers notice what I am wearing. Birds always notice, especially if you wash, brush your teeth and polish your shoes.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#7 2023-11-18 10:54:51

An Unseen Scene

The comments I also get on polished shoes are numerous.

#8 2023-11-18 12:20:51

Staxfan

Geezers and Birds.... you can take the boy out of the east end/ Essex but not etc etc haha , not many of us still talking like that Rob, we’re a dying breed, haha

#9 2023-11-18 12:36:04

RobbieB

Stax- I know mate. I've just come back from the pub and I was just continuing with the vernacular that I was using earlier. I sit in the corner of the pub with a few blokes and girls (in their 50/60s). The barmaids (can I still say that) call us 'the naughty corner' because of our colourful language . We used to be called 'coffin dodgers' corner so it's an improvement. HaHa

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#10 2023-11-19 10:16:42

AlveySinger

Thankfully, I'm still going out a lot, so plenty of opportunities to wear decent clothing.

My fear is the changes in jacket length might leave the Keydges a bit too short when things go back to proper proportions.

It's the one area of my wardrobe that I will need to upgrade.

#11 2023-11-21 04:24:18

The_Shooman
A pretty face

I feel the same, only buy things that are absolutely necessary, and only top quality. I do seasonal wardrobes of limited numbers of items that are easy to mix and match for each season. Everything gets well worn with no unworn clothes. No excessive wardrobe. I am strict to only buy what l need. I really like being in control and not being addicted to buying clothes; nothing worse than always on the chase and never being satisfied with what you have. When you love what you have, and you are satisfied, and you feel no need to keep on buying....THAT's when you've really done it right.

The only thing l have been buying lots of recently is sox (always buy heaps of socks) and hats (cowboy hats, fedoras, homburgs, panamas), but the hat buying is coming to an end because l have all that l need now.

#12 2023-11-21 05:16:00

Staxfan

On the subject of replacing trousers has anyone purchased cord or moleskin 5 pocket strides from Joseph Turner ? Full price is around £150 but 40% discounts + for Black Friday, I guess JT are a ' traditional men's outfitters ' so I'd guess/hope they'd be a regular fit, any comments welcomed,

#13 2023-11-21 07:47:02

Kingston1an

They send me a catalogue though I have never had any dealings with them. Not the cheapest.

I don't buy jeans apart from the Wranglers cowboy cut MWZ13  mentioned on here a lifetime ago. Cheap and cheerful. Good for knocking around in.

For cords and moleskin I buy from Peter Christian but they are trahseez not jeans. Not really Ivy either.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#14 2023-11-22 05:27:06

AlveySinger

Best moleskins I ever had were from Hackett - colour, drape and rise.

My current pair are Cordings 5 pockets.

Construction is first rate but the blue isn’t the richest hue.

Cost wise they were inexpensive given their quality.

I wouldn’t pay anywhere near £150 for country clothing.

Hoggs of Fife are also worth considering

#15 2023-11-22 07:21:11

Staxfan

Thanks for your comments guys, I've got the JT moleskins down to £75'ish, ( 140 - 40% - £10), also some light olive cords on sale at £39, free delivery , free returns, they're in the basket, just deciding whether to pull the trigger,

#16 2023-11-22 08:12:36

Kingston1an

PC moleskins are £65.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#17 2023-11-22 11:21:15

An Unseen Scene

PC moleskins got me comfortably through a freezing trip to Iceland in March 22 with lots of ice and continuous snow.

#18 2023-11-22 11:22:29

An Unseen Scene

I had some shirts from JT a decade or so ago and a couple of kitted ties that were all fine. I still get those catalogues.

#19 2023-11-23 00:56:09

Staxfan

Thanks for the input guys, I placed the order yesterday, I’ll report back when they arrive next week, nothing to lose with free delivery and free returns,

#20 2023-11-23 03:09:32

FlatSixC

Has anyone bought Shetlands from Joseph Turner, or have any knowledge of who makes them?

#21 2023-11-23 04:47:09

An Unseen Scene

I think I ordered one jumper from them in a sale, a decade ago - which was perfectly okay. But it wasn't a Shetland and I don't remember any sourcing.

#22 2023-11-29 06:44:11

AlveySinger

Part of my less is more strategy is to stop buying cheap clothes/shoes that simply don't last.

I have over the last few years been drawn to certain cheaper items that whilst sitting in the Ivy parameters quite frankly don't stand up quality wise. Chinos that have been too thin, knitwear that pills easily, shirts where the collars are a tad too small to roll, polo shirts that fade too quickly and loafers that have been too plastic looking

The downside is that it will leave me with fewer options but maybe that in itself is no bad thing.

#23 2023-11-29 10:16:18

Tim

I'm with Alvey, it's a philosophy I'm buying into (pun semi-intended) more and more - that I'm better off spending more on items that will stand the test of time, both in the sense of their manufacturing quality and their style. I do make minor concessions - I am not for example about to start spending the ridiculous amounts of money required to purchase Meyer B Schwanen t-shirts for example but I'm not adverse either to the concept of spending a thousand quid on a decent pair of shoes.
The reality is, prices are only going one way and that is'nt ever going to change and the price gap between quality clothing and the dross on the high street is probably the narrowest it's ever been at present.

Personally, I will continue to eschew the cheap in favor of the better - and unlike some of you, I'm not near retirement and have a list of wants as long as you care to think of.

#24 2023-11-30 14:58:11

FlatSixC

My efforts to reduce my wardrobe are heading slowly in the right direction. The sales and disposals over the last few months have definitely outnumbered the acquisitions. But I’m still forever looking at stuff, gaining inspiration from old photos etc.

Recently I spotted a vintage Brooks trench coat on Ebay and suddenly realised that if only I bought it I could do some rationalising in the raincoat department. So when it arrives, providing it’s everything I hope it will be, then I will look to dispose of a couple or three of the others. It’s a slow and difficult process but I am confident that by the time I’m 80 I will be in possession of the perfect capsule wardrobe.

The trouble is that when a new item comes on the scene you then realise that there certain other items that would look really good with it. Of course sometimes you don’t have those ‘certain other items’ so the looking starts again.

Board footer