You are not logged in.

#26 2024-04-17 04:54:52

Kingston1an

Re: HERE COMES SUMMER...

'A Don doesn't wear shorts!'

Advice proffered to Tony Soprano after reports of a barbecue he hosted.

Presumably because shorts lack gravitas.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DkIC6yRjBGwM&ved=2ahUKEwifzb7VismFAxXuQkEAHem4ASYQtwJ6BAgQEAE&usg=AOvVaw32PEgWS_0LRzxEgoTfaD6k

Long trahseez were a rite of passage in my younger days. Leaving primary school and growing up. Only scoutmasters and strange individuals used to wear shorts.

I wear them in the garden or on beaches.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#27 2024-04-17 05:53:34

AndyV

When the subject of shorts comes up I like to remind myself of this great Fran Lebowitz quote: "One of the biggest changes in my lifetime, is the phenomenon of men wearing shorts. Men never wore shorts when I was young. This is one of the worst changes, by far. It's disgusting. To have to sit next to grown men on the subway in the summer, and they're wearing shorts? They look ridiculous, like children, and I can't take them seriously. My fashion advice, particularly to men wearing shorts: Ask yourself, 'Could I make a living modeling these shorts?' If the answer is no, then change your clothes. Put on a pair of pants.".
So at the age of 65 - and with no way "I could make a living modelling shorts" - I will do what I always do, take no notice of it, and get the shorts out!
Sometimes it is just too hot for long pants...

#28 2024-04-17 16:24:11

AlveySinger

The media make such a fuss about Fran and her Anderson and Shepherd jackets.

Personally I think she  looks a schlub.

A well tailored pair of shorts, polo shirt, surcingle or embroiled belt and some Sperrys on a warm day looks sharp and is supremely comfortable.

Things to avoid with shorts are too formal shoes, silly t shirts, flip flops in town and jackets of any type.

A couple of weeks ago I went to a really nice golf course for dinner in the States. A  lot of the men were dining in tailored shorts, linen shirts with drivers/loafers. A few had cashmere cable knits wrapped around their shoulders. They looked well turned out

#29 2024-04-17 16:45:24

FlatSixC

Kingston1an- ‘Long trahseez were a rite of passage in my younger days. Leaving primary school and growing up. Only scoutmasters and strange individuals used to wear shorts.’

Kingy, don’t forget that being tough enough to wear shorts all through the winter is essential for employment as a postman.

#30 2024-04-18 02:43:38

Staxfan

Alvey ' Also I only pair shorts with polo shirts and t-shirts ', -  I add to that a camp collar shirt and 1/2 sleeve lightweight b/d's, and yes the shorts must finish just above your knee, you don't want to look like Lofty,
Kingy - 'Long trahseez were a rite of passage in my younger days. Leaving primary school and growing up. Only scoutmasters and strange individuals used to wear shorts', We're are of a similar vintage, and your right no one wore shorts when we were youngsters, '71/'72 bermuda shorts & cut off levi's for your first lads holiday in Majorca !
I was watching, ' Call the Midwife' with the Mrs a couple of months ago, ( yes I know but it's set in the 60's when I was growing up and it reminds us of things when we were kids !), anyway, the posh nurse and her husband were going on a trip in the summer and he got out of the car wearing a smart pair of shorts & ( probably) a polo, wrong ! no one wore shorts then apart from the people Kingy has mentioned.......

#31 2024-04-19 03:06:15

RobbieB

I have a collection of shorts that are all of similar length and sit just above the knee. In the past, I've worn madras shorts with polo shirts,  usually a white Smedley. Other plain shorts I have worn with short sleeve popover RL madras shirts. Boat shoes are my go to footwear, if I'm not walking too far. My days of wearing shorts are probably over though because I got skin cancer (melanoma) on my leg and with treatment (surgery) and medication I am vulnerable to further problems. I think I'll be wearing linen full length trousers instead of shorts if I'm out in the sun.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#32 2024-04-19 03:12:48

RobbieB

On a recent flight the guy sitting next to me actually apologised because he was wearing shorts and he thought I might consider it inappropriate attire for a aeroplane journey ! Needless to say he wasn't English.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#33 2024-04-24 15:34:28

SanchoPanza

Any good shorts out there? In my "youth" I was searching high and low for a pair madras shorts (Notice: I kept Take Ivy on the table next to my bed...) but couldn't find any decent pair so I, like I'll always do, just gave up. But now I feel confident yet again to try out a pair. So, where to go? Vintage? Lands End? Polo? H&M?..

#34 2024-04-24 16:20:08

AlveySinger

Sancho
I recently bought some Press madras shorts. Really great colours. They can be altered too
I’ve also had some Brooks madras shorts in a red blue combination. Possibly not to everyone’s taste though.
For plain shorts in good quality fabrics I would look at Polo.
DuckHead with a small percentage of stretch are supremely comfortable
Some on here rate Uniqlo but I haven’t any experience of their shorts

Last edited by AlveySinger (2024-04-24 16:20:40)

#35 2024-04-25 02:20:02

Tomiskinky

SanchoPanza:

Any good shorts out there? In my "youth" I was searching high and low for a pair madras shorts (Notice: I kept Take Ivy on the table next to my bed...) but couldn't find any decent pair so I, like I'll always do, just gave up. But now I feel confident yet again to try out a pair. So, where to go? Vintage? Lands End? Polo? H&M?

I have a pair of O'Connell's madras, they have a great rise but it'll mean buying in/from the US. You could try find vintage, but they rarely come up - probably due to the fabric being light and wearing out.

https://oconnellsclothing.com/shorts.html

Last edited by Tomiskinky (2024-04-25 02:20:27)

#36 2024-04-25 14:08:04

colin
Bright Light

My madras shorts are vintage, not a perfect colour or size, but as Tom says, not easy to find. (Though far easier than madras jacket!).

This summer it'll mostly be either old BB seersucker shorts or navy linen shorts (£30 at M&S no less!). Underwhelmed by uniqlo in recent years, hence M&S!

#37 2024-04-26 03:10:11

Tomiskinky

Colin, the Uniqlo cord shorts have been great if you like that baker pocket style. I have an ecru and navy pair and the rise, length and width is really good on them - tempted to ge the green and pink to have the full set

Board footer