You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-20 10:25:36

AlveySinger

FOR THE LOVE OF SEERSUCKER

I came into the Ivy look not through Mod but a combination of liking Americana and Ralph Lauren.

Even before I knew its name I loved Seersucker. Ralph would feature it every Summer. It was relatively cheap compared to his made In Italy jackets and suits.

I started off with a sports jacket. Three button with a single vent. It looked great with dark denim, suede tassel loafers and a navy Smedley polo. It sat somewhere between looking pin-sharp and exceptionally comfortable.It was a go to look from June to August.

Whilst I've never fancied a seersucker suit I have now built-up my seersucker wardrobe with shorts and shirts and various jackets. I also moved on from the classic navy and white  to other colour combinations - all blue and red and white.

There's also been a few seersucker snags along the way. Drakes made a lovely looking jacket I'm not sure why it's too tight across the mid-riff but it explains why it was left in the sale. A seersucker pop-over from Chiltern Street was too thick to be really classified as seersucker.

The main lesson I've learnt is due to it's lightness and the fact it attracts stains from BBQ's, dropped pints of Pimms and wear and tear from cricket you shouldn't buy expensive seersucker options. Factory outlet is a good way to go.

Now as the days draw longer I'm attracted once again to this noble fabric. There also appears more brands using it now, beyond the usual USA options.

#2 2024-04-20 13:27:09

FlatSixC

Re: FOR THE LOVE OF SEERSUCKER

I’ve got seersucker jacket, shirt, trousers and shorts but they get worn with other items, not together as they don’t match.
I think a pale blue seersucker suit would be a great choice for a summer wedding, but outside of that setting it would likely result in comments like ‘two 99s please’. One of those Ivy items that works better in New England than England.

A couple of years ago I bought a dark blue seersucker suit from JS. One of my better decisions, the jacket and trousers can be worn separately or as a suit which is not such a bold choice as the pale stuff. I shall look forward to hot weather when I can deploy it with a bright colour polo shirt, white bucks and a white linen newsboy cap.

#3 2024-04-21 04:05:49

Kingston1an

Have Lands End half sleeve shirts in traditional blue and also mint green.

Jackets and trousers not for me. Not in England.

I note Peter Christian now offer them. Then again Peter Christian has now gone mod, scooters and all. Whatever happened to their elderly army officer who used to advice on cravats and other old school clothing items?

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#4 2024-04-22 03:06:44

AndyV

I have a couple of J Keydge seersucker jackets from a few years back and in true Keydge style vary in size, shape etc. One - very slack - I absolutely love. The other more "smarter" and would work as a suit if I could find the trousers to match. Have a couple of seersucker shirts from Marks from a while back - they may have some in this summer.
Just looked at Peter Christian for the first time in ages - and looking at cooler times ahead - I really like the look of their shawl cardigans. Seem similar to the Drakes ones but at 40% of the price! Has anybody got one?  If so - any good?

#5 2024-04-23 05:38:50

Kingston1an

https://www.peterchristian.co.uk/beige-stripe-seersucker-suit/

Truly awful. Reminds me of crimplene.

I am sure The Major would not approve.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#6 2024-04-23 06:33:50

AlveySinger

AndyV,

I know what you mean about Keydge. After they officially closed I bought a seersucker one from the new entity. Slightly wider lapel on it.

I would say anything from Drakes is top quality but is it really worth the price differential?

My shawl collar cardigan is from Cordings and I'm exceptionally pleased with it.

Over the years I've had a few things from Drakes - shirts, ties and a jacket. The fit on the jacket and shirts has been way to tailored for my tastes.

#7 2024-04-27 03:20:32

AndyV

With you on Drakes, Alvey. I'll always pay decent money for clothes if it truly reflects the quality. Also, like I'm guessing most on here, I have enough clothes to last the rest of my life and now only buy sparingly. But Drakes just seem too dear. £100+ on a pair of Astorflex shoes because it has the Drakes name on it. Hmmmm...
I'm in London in the summer so will pop into Cordings as I do like the look of their shawls - along with your recommendation.

#8 2024-04-30 06:59:29

AlveySinger

AndyV,

As well as the knitwear I would look at their moleskins and raincoats.

I think they still stock the same 5 pocket trousers, with the paisley pocket bags, that JS used to have made.

#9 2024-05-04 10:21:12

An Unseen Scene

I never got Seersucker. I had one jacket but couldn't get on with it in shirts etc

#10 2024-05-05 15:40:18

AlveySinger

Unseen,
It’s a very  versatile fabric
My original Ralph seersucker jacket looked good dressed up with chinos and knit tie or dressed down with jeans and a polo shirt.
In shirts I think the pink seersucker shirt is better than the blue as it’s a bit more interesting.
Many years ago in Tenerife I was walking along the beach and noticed a guy who looked pin sharp in navy seersucker Polo swim shirts and a pink polo shirt.

Board footer