You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-01 07:15:29

jesmond
Ivy Genius
From: Wry Lane
Posts: 1202

Grenfell Raincoats

I love the classic style and the urbane elegance of the Burberry trenchcoat.And i love the classic and elegant silhouette and chic of the raglan sleeve Aquascutum `balmacaan` style raincoat. (I have an Aquascutum balmacaan raincoat in lovat color which i bought in Regent Street around 10 years ago). Just great classic British raincoat manufacturers...


I found it very interesting then to see that recently updated J.S. link which mentioned another old established though lesser known traditional classic British raincoat manufacturer. That company was Grenfell. Grenfell started out as an eponymous  family company and is an old established raincoat making name which is still discreetly continuing to go about it`s business making it`s raincoats in England to this very day.Grenfell is a name that along with other esteemd names like Mackintosh, Burberry, and Aquascutum has a very interesting, and indeed perhaps somewhat noble history.What i personally find so attractive about the Grenfell company is the fact that it is not so very well known and famous as the other companies i`ve mentioned. It`s deliciously more obscure.I love that....It just seems more special to me.

history of `Grenfell cloth` etc...
http://www.haythornthwaite.com/GrenHistory.htm


I love my Aquascutum raincoat.It`s very lovingly rumpled and to me it looks great with  jeans, and scuffed white sneakers or brown Playboy style chukka suede boots.But i do think i might even prefer the Grenfell balmacaan.The Aquascutum balmacaan raincoat although elegant and chic seems somehow more sophisticated and recognisably...`English`...

Grenfell balmacaan raincoats speak to me me of the raincoats i think of when i`m trying to conjure up early sixties Soho.I imagine images of a very young  John Barry, and of an exciting world of louche night-clubs and jazz clubs and of new coffebars. For me personally these raincoats evoke images of early cool black modern jazz musicians and of early beat/ modernist type guys .They might not be quite as polished as the more famous names but these really are top quality raincoats and to me personally they have real charm .They seem a little friendlier and just a touch less formal.

they love em in japan too...

http://derongi.com/kabure/entry/grenfell

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1424189_grenfell.jpg

also available in `oyster` colour.

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1424131_balmacaan.jpg

I`m intrigued by this pic. Steve McQueen is wearing what looks to be a balmacaan raincoat.To me this raincoat looks too `English` to be a London Fog raincoat.It really doesn`t look like it`s the classic Aquascutum. (The collar looks `off` in comparison for a start...).The collar of the raincoat in this pic looks to my eye to be extremely similar and most like the pic of the Grenfell raincoat in the above pics.Furthermore the material of McQueens raincoat does appear extremely similar to the thicker and stronger cloth  of the `Grenfell cloth` raincoat pictured above.

Not that it really matters of course whatever make of raincoat McQueen was wearing...But it DID intrigue me when i noticed similarities and so  i just wanted to juxtapose the above pics for others who might have been interested.

Incidentally if Brother Jack is reading this i know that he recently enquired if anyone knew what make of raincoat Paul Weller had been wearing around the time of the cafe bleu album(?) . I do remember seeing him wearing this iconic looking whitish coloured raincoat. (I`m interested in Paul Weller`s dress style and i do think he has style although for me personally it`s a more  detached interest).Well i remember this same question came up some time ago on the modculture website.What happened was that someone posted a pic which was of P.W. wearing the aforementioned raincoat.The pic seemd to be an official `Style Council` pic although i really can`t remember if it was lifted from a rare official CD or album or an official  promotional disc or poster.Along one side of this pic there was a strip of `House Check` plaid...I compared the particular House Check in the Style Council pic to the check lining of my Aquascutum and it was indeed the same.I believe the inference from the juxtaposition of the particular check and of  P.W. in the pic was that he`d indeed been wearing the Aquascutum.

I also read an online source that claimed that the raincoat  M.C. wore in the Ipcress File was also Aquascutum???

 

#2 2007-12-01 11:29:43

Jack_The_Lad
Member
Posts: 730

Re: Grenfell Raincoats

Return of the Mac!

I love them.
Go with everything.
I like a pale fly-fronted number, long or short.
Collar up or down.

A cool look.

IMVHO.


"I like a bit of a cavort..."

 

#3 2007-12-01 18:52:01

Howard
Member
From: Drimtaidhvrickhilliohattan
Posts: 236

Re: Grenfell Raincoats

Don't know if you noticed this > www.haythornthwaite.com/GrenfellToday.htm (I can't access GrenfellGarments, perhaps you can.)

I was aware of the above some time ago. The Haythornthwaite scion > http://www.haythornthwaite.com/David.htm went to work for Traditional Weatherwear of Cumbernauld > www.mackintoshrainwear.com , which also bought the Grenfell/Haythornthwaite manufacturing facility. Regret pointing out the sad fact. 

Perhaps the last of the real Grenfell Cloth raincoats (would appreciate being corrected). > www.lostworldsinc.com/Grenfell_Cloth_Trench_Coat.htm

 

#4 2007-12-01 20:07:36

Marc Grayson
Member
Posts: 8860

Re: Grenfell Raincoats

Howard wrote:

Don't know if you noticed this > www.haythornthwaite.com/GrenfellToday.htm (I can't access GrenfellGarments, perhaps you can.)

I was aware of the above some time ago. The Haythornthwaite scion > http://www.haythornthwaite.com/David.htm went to work for Traditional Weatherwear of Cumbernauld > www.mackintoshrainwear.com , which also bought the Grenfell/Haythornthwaite manufacturing facility. Regret pointing out the sad fact. 

Perhaps the last of the real Grenfell Cloth raincoats (would appreciate being corrected). > www.lostworldsinc.com/Grenfell_Cloth_Trench_Coat.htm

I think Lost Worlds just has the Grenfell cloth and the manufacture of the actual trench is contracted out.  I owned a Grenfell raincoat years ago but could not boast about it with any of my friends because Grenfell didn't have the cache of a Burberry, at least not in later years.


"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

 

#5 2007-12-02 00:43:39

Tomasso
Member
Posts: 598

Re: Grenfell Raincoats

I love Grenfell! It's stain resistant. wink



http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/tmgco/GrenfellStainProof-3.jpg

 

#6 2007-12-02 00:47:05

Jack_The_Lad
Member
Posts: 730

Re: Grenfell Raincoats

Gannex is another old name. My Ma & Pa used to wear them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kagan,_Baron_Kagan


"I like a bit of a cavort..."

 

#7 2007-12-02 02:37:20

jesmond
Ivy Genius
From: Wry Lane
Posts: 1202

Re: Grenfell Raincoats

Howard wrote:

Don't know if you noticed this > www.haythornthwaite.com/GrenfellToday.htm (I can't access GrenfellGarments, perhaps you can.)

I was aware of the above some time ago. The Haythornthwaite scion > http://www.haythornthwaite.com/David.htm went to work for Traditional Weatherwear of Cumbernauld > www.mackintoshrainwear.com , which also bought the Grenfell/Haythornthwaite manufacturing facility. Regret pointing out the sad fact. 

Perhaps the last of the real Grenfell Cloth raincoats (would appreciate being corrected). > www.lostworldsinc.com/Grenfell_Cloth_Trench_Coat.htm

Hi Howard. Yes i too am now unable to access that old GrenfellGarments link or URL. Quite some time ago there did used to be information on the different styles of Grenfell raincoats via that link.


Around 9 months ago (maybe less)  i telephoned the contact number for Grenfell Garments. (I think i got this from one of those original Haythorn Waite links).The Grenfell  contact location was an address which i think was in or around the Bromley by Bow area of East London. I spoke to a French lady there who was at pains to reassure me that not only were Grenfell very much still in business but they were still going to be manufacturing their raincoats in England. The phone call gave me the sense that the company was in the midst of some kind of overhaul or takeover.I don`t know if the company was still going to trade under the Grenfell Garments name.However the lady asked to take my contact details in order to keep me apprised of developments.Said she`d contact me.


I heard nothing!


Well fast forward to about a couple of months back. I was doing a google search for Grenfell again and i found what i thought was an interesting link.I found Ukfashionexports.com had detailed some information about the Grenfell company appearing at some imminent trade fair or other.There was a persons contact email @grenfelluk.com...

Great! The grenfelluk.com website looked to be a trade site and it did look to be pretty sketchy...It made me wonder if it was still undergoing construction.But it did show some of the old classic styles.It did appear to prove that Grenfell was indeed back in business producing those raincoats.Well i originally saved the URL to IE favourites for future reference. Ive only just gone back to access it again and incredibly just like the old haythornwaite link it`s no longer able to accessed!

 

#8 2007-12-02 06:20:09

Horace
Member
Posts: 6082

Re: Grenfell Raincoats

Chums,

Capital finds.  I think there might be some ol' Grenfell ads in the archives here as well.   I like 'earing about the lesser-known English or British brands of the days o' yore.  I also like that name Aspirations Holdings.

Cheers,

'.


""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

 

#9 2007-12-02 10:52:22

Chris_H
Ivy Original
Posts: 1504

Re: Grenfell Raincoats

jesmond wrote:

Around 9 months ago (maybe less)  i telephoned the contact number for Grenfell Garments. (I think i got this from one of those original Haythorn Waite links).The Grenfell  contact location was an address which i think was in or around the Bromley by Bow area of East London. I spoke to a French lady there who was at pains to reassure me that not only were Grenfell very much still in business but they were still going to be manufacturing their raincoats in England. The phone call gave me the sense that the company was in the midst of some kind of overhaul or takeover.I don`t know if the company was still going to trade under the Grenfell Garments name.However the lady asked to take my contact details in order to keep me apprised of developments.Said she`d contact me.


I heard nothing!


Well fast forward to about a couple of months back. I was doing a google search for Grenfell again and i found what i thought was an interesting link.I found Ukfashionexports.com had detailed some information about the Grenfell company appearing at some imminent trade fair or other.There was a persons contact email @grenfelluk.com...

Great! The grenfelluk.com website looked to be a trade site and it did look to be pretty sketchy...It made me wonder if it was still undergoing construction.But it did show some of the old classic styles.It did appear to prove that Grenfell was indeed back in business producing those raincoats.Well i originally saved the URL to IE favourites for future reference. Ive only just gone back to access it again and incredibly just like the old haythornwaite link it`s no longer able to accessed!

I was in Simons a couple of months ago, John showed me a sample of a UK-made Grenfell G9 he was hoping to sell in the shop. It looked very good indeed. Does anyone know if this is going ahead?

 

#10 2007-12-03 00:42:29

Jack_The_Lad
Member
Posts: 730

Re: Grenfell Raincoats

These are the famous more Baracuta than Baracuta ones - Fantastic quality at a fantastic price... when they come in.

And I too would love to know when that will be!


"I like a bit of a cavort..."

 

#11 2007-12-03 09:07:24

Horace
Member
Posts: 6082

Re: Grenfell Raincoats

Jack_The_Lad wrote:

These are the famous more Baracuta than Baracuta ones - Fantastic quality at a fantastic price... when they come in.

And I too would love to know when that will be!

Some ol' pics of the G9 raincoat in the archives as well. Apparently made an impression over here in the 50's.


""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 Rickard Andersson