You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-15 11:54:32

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Seewaldt & Bauman Custom Shirts

I mentioned this shirt maker who used to reside in NYC and has now moved to the Island. Someone asked me if I had their new address and phone number, which at the time i did not.

Seewaldt & Bauman
516-379-8724

1741 Petit Avenue
Merrick, NY 11566

The Dad's name is Stanley and the son's name is Eric, of course I always called the Dad, Mr. Seewaldt. I stopped using them in favor of Paris. I should mention, I use Paris over them not because I think Paris is superior but because paris' shirts fits my aesthetic better. Seewaldt's shirts are a nice compliment for a man who considers Paul Stuart or Chipp his style. I own maybe two dozen Seewaldt shirts and theyve stood the test of wear.

However, their shirts are truly custom made and their isnt any self promotion built into their prices which are reasonable and roughly equivalent to Paris Shirts.

Their shirts are well made, a bit more trad, a bit more Kennedy 60s administration. Mr. Seewaldt certainly has some erudite trad tastes. He made me these trad (to my mind) dinner shirts for private, holiday parties. If for some reason I had to stop using Paris, I would definitely use them. Collars are dowdier and not quite as delicate as Paris' are, but it isnt like youre wearing a rag or anything. Smart for the man in the Grey Flannel Suit, if you know what i mean.

http://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img23278ub.jpg

http://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img23259fx.jpg

#2 2006-05-16 20:39:16

Shirtmaven

Re: Seewaldt & Bauman Custom Shirts

Eric is the third generation involved in the business.

Stanly has retired but both are really good people.

Carl

#3 2006-05-16 22:57:25

Horace

Those evening shirts are different.  Interesting.

I like the collars on them.  I think you're right:  very JFK.

Are there many shirtmakers in Merrick?

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#4 2006-05-17 05:51:45

Shirtmaven

The only other try Shirtmaker on LI is Shirts by Tarlow in Huntington. He used to be in Brooklyn until he sold his building.

#5 2006-05-17 15:19:11

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#6 2006-05-17 16:01:55

tteplitzmd

I used them years ago when they were in Manhatten. I stopped using them when the father got testy over my request to use my (Italian Testa) broadcloth. He did however agree to the transaction and quoted his price, only to later bill me a much higher price. When I pointed this out, I paid the originallly agreed upon price and haven't looked back. As I recall their cloths, you could get any color you wanted as long as it was blue. I did have quite a few shirts made from their cloths in my original order. I liked the collars and the workmanship.

#7 2006-05-17 18:12:53

tteplitzmd

Actually, I was an "established" client by this time, and the Testa (old pre-acquired Testa) was a superior cloth. Points deducted from the Maker for bad form in business practices. He simply couldn't remember the price he quoted, because he mumbled something about "we don't usually do this"... however the deal was made and no gun held to his head. Perhaps his next generation is more attentive to detail and more cordial.

#8 2006-05-17 18:15:21

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Testa?

I dont even know her!

#9 2006-05-17 21:48:08

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

I remember Stanley as hard of hearing and a little grumpy but very helpful if he felt you were sort of on his side. He knew a lot about the types of shirts the Trad crowd wanted and if you let him feel at ease he would open up with suggestions that wouldve gone great with a Chipp 3-piece with a silk lining with horses on it or some such hidden treat.

Board footer