You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-20 09:47:41

Vaclav

Problem with a bespoke suit of another.

I visited Mr. Bodnar yesterday,he is not feeling well but becoming better. A bespoke suit he had from 1969 he gave to me, as it's too new for the garage. It fits me very well, but the sleeves are 1/2 too much. With working cuff buttons, how can I make this?

#2 2006-05-20 10:15:49

Miles Away

Re: Problem with a bespoke suit of another.

Sensible advice from Mr Grayson.
I like the sound of Mr Bodnar - and I liked the look of his shoes on a previous thread.
I'd love him to post here when he feels up to it...
But I respect his condition.
I'm very fond of men like I imagine him to be... Odd of me maybe, but I'd love to know about his overcoats. I'm very fond of overcoats.

Miles

Edit so I don't sound too mad - I've always loved the overcoats that Basil Rathbone wore in the 1940's Sherlock Holmes films... I've spent time & money copying the look & never found the fullness & thickness of cut that I've always wanted. OTR, MTM, I suppose bespoke is the only answer...
The coat is raglan sleeved, a dark-ish tweed and deliberately too big so it hangs just so. Vintage 'Cordings' adverts have the cut. Basically it's a kind of tweed tent with pockets. Nice.

M.

Last edited by Miles Away (2006-05-20 11:08:52)

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#3 2006-05-21 00:56:43

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#4 2006-05-21 20:59:52

Vaclav

Miles,

You do not sound angry to me. But Mr. Bodner doesn't own a computer, or understand this internet. He prefers the New York Times and bocce with his friends,in the park they play. The overcoat I saw in his home, was just old Burberrys style. Sorry for disappointment.

Horace,

Hector doesn't know Mr. B., he is my neigbor previous, from the other borough. Hector is very busy, with his family.

If I take this suit back to J. Press, do you think they will fix it for me?

#5 2006-05-22 00:56:32

Miles Away

Hmmmmm...  Where did that nice jokey 'trolling' thread go?
Obviously it went for a reason. It was there this time yesterday (I think)...
Did it get tastey before it vanished? I hate it when I miss the good stuff.
You are right, Vaclav, I am not at all angry. I like to laugh... although that does tend to make other people angry...
Ahhhh life! Who would be without it?

Miles

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#6 2006-05-22 01:22:52

Incroyable

Vaclav, sleeves are quite a simple matter that most any tailor can do.

Jukebox Babe

#7 2006-05-22 08:15:57

Vaclav

#8 2006-05-22 09:03:38

Get Smart

If you don't already have a tailor who you know you can take the jacket to without worry, then I'd be a bit wary of taking it to someone who's work you're not familiar with for a 'shortening from the shoulder' operation.   But it can be done.

#9 2006-05-23 00:20:24

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

Board footer