You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » The "842" Ivy League Haircut (And other news from London) ...

#1 2008-04-03 06:25:46

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

The "842" Ivy League Haircut (And other news from London) ...

Last edited by Russell_Street (2008-04-03 09:39:20)

#2 2008-04-03 06:53:53

flannel

Re: The "842" Ivy League Haircut (And other news from London) ...

I have no clue what Sta Prest would be (although I can immagine permacrease to be a factor), but it sounds like an absolutely lovely look. The vest, rather than the cardigan, but that's me.

Oh and R&C is gaggy.

#3 2008-04-03 06:59:02

H. Logg

#4 2008-04-03 07:02:53

Tony Ventresca

Those are great comments from that source. Like tom22, there are a lot of people out there who were present and I would hope their stories could be recorded, but alas it is unlikely to happen.

#5 2008-04-03 07:25:49

The Dean

The above style is pretty much what I'm wearing today: grey cardigan, burgundy and white stripe BD, white Hanes T, Levis 501 (complete with naff turnups), burgundy heavy longwings.

No idea what it's called, it's just how I dress.

Apart from the hair. The days of me being able to grow my hair long enough for a number 8 on top are but a memory. Grade 1 all over now.

#6 2008-04-03 07:28:49

flannel

#7 2008-04-03 08:17:22

Tony Ventresca

Are there any photos of the 8, 4, and 2?

For me, there is long hair or a buzz cut. I had thought a buzz cut was the same thing all the time, or at least my barbers have never offered any options.

#8 2008-04-03 08:37:12

H. Logg

I think the razor lengths go in 3 mm units, so it's 24 mm top, 12 mm sides and 6 mm sideburns. My hair is pretty much the same, only slightly longer sideburns. The Boston is a new expression for me.

#9 2008-04-03 08:56:55

Grace

Well done Mr.Logg I was having trouble visualising this 8,4,2, description but your clarifying of the lengths  has helped greatly.

I worked your metric back to imperial and came up with 1 inch  1/2 inch  and 1/4 inch.

That being the case it looks like Cheeky has a haircut close to this.

I`m the one who spanks the monkey

#10 2008-04-03 09:04:28

Get Smart

I actually cut my hair in an 8-4-2 style but never heard of that term "842", tho I dont always comb/part much nowadays.  A bit of dirty/clean pomade and my fingertips and I'm ready to go.

as far as the music and clothes are concerned, that's my boat right there.  tbh, always been more of a soul/50s-60s R&B fan than jazz.

#11 2008-04-03 10:02:42

Alex Roest

Last edited by Alex Roest (2008-04-03 10:03:04)

#12 2008-04-03 10:10:21

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I need to find out the chap's age in '69...

Checking out KR this look was around in London since '67 .

Things that struck me:

The hair is longer than I thought for a fashionable Ivy styler back then.

Also the hair was his focus. The clothes came after & then a quick word about music.

J.

Edit: And loafers were way down the list for him. For me this look is all about loafers!

Another Edit: That date of '67 is just from Kevin Rowland in 'The Look'. Obviously this look was in London going way back to Lou Austin's shop & before.

Last edited by Russell_Street (2008-04-03 10:17:32)

#13 2008-04-03 14:22:46

Richmond Hill

I worked in the Squire Shop in 1970 as a Saturday Boy, in my late teens to supplement my wages and get a reasonable discount. Generally there were two themes with an degree of interchangeability. The (sharp) Ivy League was one look that was favoured by the suedeheads and the other was a more continental IL look that had been imported from France. Similar IL elements, but stylised. Shetland crew and rollneck swaeters were croped short, trousers were high waisted ,very slightly flared with a back buckle. They looked fine with loafers (can't believe I have just written that.....flares). Shirts still button down and others cutaway. This look was influenced by the teenage "Minets", who used to frequent the Drugstore in the Champs Elyses. 

Paris in the 60/70s also had several Ivy League influenced shops, Harvard, Princeton, Harrison. I think that the last one is still in Paris in the 16th.
The Squire Shop also had a number of sister shops, Village Gate, Cassidy which had moved furture away from the IL look and the group expanded quite rapidly in the early 70's into the Kings Road, Knightsbridge and Kensington and even Oxford Street. JS was long gone and the group of shops imploded, for a variety of reasons.
Quincy also had a couple of good shops in Brewer Street, Shepherds Market and the Kings Road.
Ivy Shop carried on doing business in Richmond, Wembley and a couple of other locations, not always doing IL and I can remember in the early 70s buying a black velvet suit.
Thats all that springs to mind at the moment.

Bashed this out quickly and will give the issue more thought.

Also as a New Member trying to crack how I can post some images on this and other subjects.....I'll get there.

RH

#14 2008-04-03 14:49:04

Chris_H
Ivy Original

Interesting info, a great find......much more detail than I can remember..... I was aged 22 in late 1968 when The Squire shop opened? The sort of stuff I was wearing: The Saxone loafers, dark grey Sta-Prest, no break, brown herringbone jacket made up by a Polish tailor in Willesden. I took a pal's sack jacket to him and he copied it using some material I already had....... I remember buying an oatmeal shetland crew-neck and a yellow striped oxford cloth BD from the Squire shop around this time....I also had a suede zipper jacket and 501s......Regarding my haircut it was normally a grown out college boy with a fairly high parting. My girl friend was hairdresser and she used to keep it looking like it had not just been cut....I don't recall a name for this style of dress, to me it was just what we wore in London at the time........a year or two later we moved on to the French styled stuff........

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hardyandjohnson/

#15 2008-04-04 01:19:23

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Fantastic input Richmond & Chris!
I'm chasing up my new chum Brian for more info & to see if I can tempt him onto the forum. I suspect he must be of a similar vintage to you gents.

I never knew there was an Ivy Shop in Wembley!

I'm in Paris next week & must try to find Harrison. I'm really bowled over that you are so familiar with the Minets, Richmond - Fantastic stuff.

I dipped into Nick Knight's book last night & he (or Jim Fergusson, can't remember which this morning) had Suedehead hair as being no shorter than 1.5". Which makes my thinking the '842' was long completely wrong.

I'd love to hear more, Richmond & Chris, if you ever have the time.

I shall road test the 842 later on today as I need a haircrop & will report back.

Where's our mate Brideshead?

Best -

#16 2008-04-04 01:52:10

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

great stuff, again. this is why i love this forum.

the look described in the first post, very much what i've been wearing on a daily basis (with a few nods towards contemporary 'casual') for a while now. although my current haircut is now longer (have grown it on purpose, just to see how a longer barnet works), being more of a mid-seventies soul groover (lol) or 'smoothie', if you like. going to have it cut back tothe good ol 8ish next friday though.

i'd very much like to read on 'the french cut' and the direction london ivy took come mid-late seventies.

#17 2008-04-04 03:15:05

Alex Roest

Last edited by Alex Roest (2008-04-04 03:21:43)

#18 2008-04-04 04:28:41

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

alex, sorry mate, i completely forgot about you working on french cut! sorry, too much drink has gone through my brains of late!

as for being patient, i've got the patience of a saint lol (not really.. big_smile)

#19 2008-04-04 05:19:08

Richmond Hill

#20 2008-04-04 07:33:43

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Wow!

Thank you very much for all that.

Is Harrisons still quite Ivy? I will definitely call in whatever. It is still there, Google informs.

(Jeeves is very helpful re: loading photos, btw. if you still need a hand with all that.)

- I'm very pleased with the 842. I've been wearing a 6/3 or 6/4 of late but the added step of an 8/4/2 makes quite a difference to the way it all tapers in to the neck and sideburns. It adds to the whole silhouette I think: Short hair tapering down to nothing, natural shoudlers, minimal break trousers and then those lovely big American shoes.

http://www.justacote.com/paris-vetements_homme-140299-harrison.html

Best -

Jim

#21 2008-04-04 07:41:58

bandofoutsiders

Wasn't there also a cut popular in early 60s London called the 'French Crew' (early mods had quite a case of Francophilia....more than understandable given France's cultural offerings 1958-65)?  I remember reading about it being described as hair cropped short (but not skinhead short) with the same trimmer number used all over the head.  Basically how I wear what little I've got left.

#22 2008-04-04 07:44:20

Richmond Hill

Don't know what the Harrison theme is at the moment.

Cap Cod worth a visit if you have the time.

Thanks, I have cracked the image issue...check your Modern Jazz posting. Look out internet here i come............

RH

#23 2008-04-04 07:50:11

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#24 2008-04-05 01:41:53

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Word is 'It's all over' at Harrison's now.

I'm still inclined to scope out the neighbourhood though & what was once Minet central once the scene had moved on from the Champs Elyses.

Mr. Richmond, as an old Squire Shop man do you have an opinion on Squire being modeled on 'Mayfair', the earlier Minet shop in Paris also set in an unrenovated Butchers?

The coincidence seems too great for me. Mr. Simons would have known all the places at the time I'm sure.

Best -

J.

Last edited by Russell_Street (2008-04-05 01:44:30)

#25 2008-04-05 09:18:17

Richmond Hill

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » The "842" Ivy League Haircut (And other news from London) ...

Board footer