Old Harry

Re: Ivy League style for today

#30752 2017-03-09 12:46:01

Old Harry

#30753 2017-03-10 04:27:02

Thee Captain

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#30754 2017-03-10 09:10:53

Old Harry

Defiantley not you Cap, but should i turn off the light as i leave.

#30755 2017-03-10 09:53:04

Thee Captain

/\
If you could H...that would be ACES!!!

And erm... can you give Trap No 2 another flush on the way out as well...I gave it a "courtesy flush" earlier...but best to be on the safe side methinks...you know...leave the building as you found it n all that..

Right - I'm off to the abattoir... have yerself a most magnificent weekend geez..

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#30756 2017-03-10 15:13:07

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#30757 2017-03-10 15:30:24

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#30758 2017-03-10 15:41:07

Berkeley_Breathes

Somewhat related, stan, did you see my message?

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#30759 2017-03-10 16:01:25

Old Harry

Last edited by Old Harry (2017-03-10 16:03:30)

#30760 2017-03-10 16:06:56

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#30761 2017-03-10 16:48:41

Old Harry

#30762 2017-03-10 17:06:06

Chipper

Last edited by Chipper (2017-03-10 17:06:36)

#30763 2017-03-10 17:11:45

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Harry - are those standard Bill's or did you get them tapered?

+ what brand of dog is that wink

John Simons

#30764 2017-03-10 18:08:31

stanshall

today was short-sleeved blue-white faint graph-check broadcloth Makers USA; faded soft brown vintage 519 Levi's cords USA; brass c-buckle bridle-leather belt from England; Incontinence pants New York SPZL and they rule

#30765 2017-03-10 18:13:52

Chipper

Mine equaled Lands' End cuffed brown cords, LL Bean red tartan button-down, vintage Pendleton blue Shetland crew sweater, unknown-name thick socks, LL Bean Allagash Bison blucher mocs, LL Bean jacket (you know the one), and University of Nottingham scarf.

In other words, winter returned to Baltimore.

#30766 2017-03-11 02:35:22

Kingston1an

'She said the prettiest place on earth is Baltimore at night
Oh well, a man feels proud to give his woman what she's longing for
And I kind of liked the streets of Baltimore.'

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#30767 2017-03-11 04:50:13

Chipper

#30768 2017-03-11 05:20:31

Kingston1an

Or Gram Parsons cover version.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#30769 2017-03-11 05:30:42

Chipper

#30770 2017-03-11 17:55:21

stanshall

here's a long, rambling, minimally punctuated, poorly edited post:

I like the history aspect of TI the most but posting pics of people wearing their version of the style is important for the forum, it proves that people are actually wearing Ivy or some version or interpretation of it today ....

anything goes as far as clothes are concerned, as far as I'm concerned, I like vintage clothes, sportswear, hand-me-downs, auction finds, thrifted stuff, bespoke and custom stuff, Halloween costumes, everything ..... Ivy, sportswear, Casual, preppy, hippie, rugged, scruffy, free & easy, surfy, commando, hip-hop, punk, nerdy. normcore, Moynihanesque, beatnik, Radical Chic, rock star, boardroom, courtroom, Madison Avenue, shitkicker, and English Savile Row style too .... but even though I like all that I usually wear Brooks Brothers button-down collar shirts, t-shirts, jeans, cords, the occasional pair of khakis, sneakers, blucher mocs, penny loafers, sneakers, J. Press walk shorts, board shorts, flip-flops, and shades.

I like Ivy because it's from a time in my life, I wore it when I was young, wore it through school with weekend breaks for t-shirts and jeans, really never stopped though and it's still the most useful style to me, although anything I like from any period of my life is something that interests me and I'll wear it, most of the time mixed with something Ivy, add some Ivy or at least some vintage to your day, that's really all it takes to connect to an Ivy discussion, an interest in the style and an interest in history, and any kind of topic related to Ivy or pre-Ivy or post-Ivy or 20th century modern or preppy or traditional clothing that that people want to explore is cool to explore and the tangential relationships things have with standard Ivy are interesting, and the history is why most of us are here, seeing people wearing the clothes today is part of this, because it shows that there is continued interest in the style, and to a degree may encourage shops and makers to keep some classic items in production.

this past week I picked up a new pair of O'Connell's poplin trousers, had been waiting months and months for these things to arrive, they're here and they're tailored and they are ready for summer ..... 

today I wore: pima jersey three-button pocket polo shirt with open, hemmed sleeves and long tail in white with navy blue track stripe, made in Peru; tan vintage '70s Levi's 519 cords, made in USA; brass C-buckle belt in navy grosgrain from Maine; black/white Incontinence pants Skin Phillips, a Gazelle-like sneaker I wish I had bought a second pair of, that's how much I love them ....

this morning I used Gillette Foamy Menthol with a trusty Atra, Pepsodent, Listerine, and Brylcreem, keeping the shave and shower very old-school and Ivy .....

then I had a pukka iced chai, then I bought some Crawford's Garibaldi biscuits and a Jamaican spice bun, ate a jerk chicken lunch with rice and peas and a little West Indian curry sauce, some steamed cabbage, and a fresh sorrel drink at one of my fave island spots

now I'm back at the casa, wearing Incontinence pants basketball shorts with zippered pockets and a Jerzees long-sleeved t-shirt over an old short-sleeved Screen Stars t-shirt, going to read Inherent Vice for a half-hour, so much material there to process

last night in NOS USA baggy cotton hunting pants and a 20-year-old t-shirt from the old Union shop in NYC, put on a long-sleeve Gildan pocket tee when it got cold

meanwhile Wednesday night I was wearing my long-sleeved Jerzees t-shirt, old stf 501s, and Vans Old Skools, eating up all the canapes, drinking red wine like a monster

#30771 2017-03-11 18:00:59

Berkeley_Breathes

#30772 2017-03-11 18:02:41

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

^ I love these accounts!

John Simons

#30773 2017-03-11 18:19:38

Chipper

Last edited by Chipper (2017-03-11 18:20:21)

#30774 2017-03-12 17:43:55

Chipper

http://www.ivy-style.com/i-miss-rugby.html

I think this goes to a lot of what we've been discussing. The fun is, indeed, in mixing it up. Stay loose, I say.

#30775 2017-03-12 18:18:03

Berkeley_Breathes

Interesting article, Chip... I don't agree with everything (and a pink shirt with a black tie as an example of rollicking sartorial fun falls a little flat) but this passage stood out to me:

"Yet Rugby’s overall spirit was great for this prep-collegiate genre of clothing we all love. Rugby’s stylists flew the go-to-hell patchwork flag with gusto, and if the models often looked overly serious, the spirit of the clothing was anything but.

Yes it’s a worthwhile endeavor to learn how to dress well, to learn time-tested rules and display one’s mastery of things like jacket fit and tastefully chosen neckties, but clothes should also be fun."

I also like the point that the fun of clothes *is* messing around with the rules... As many have said before, I'm happy we have Ox (or Worried Man, whose ILSFT contributions are sorely missed) who nail the conventions every damn time... but that's only one side of the coin, and we have Thee Captain and others who aren't afraid to rock the boat clothes-wise...

Board footer