You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-18 09:24:58

Trad to the Bone

Pimms

Are we talking about non-clothes-related topics here at Talk Ivy?

My brother-in-law drinks Pimms in the summertime, and I've recenlty dipped my toe in the Pimms pool.

Do you drink Pimms?  How do you take it? 

I'm thinking not a lot of folks drink it around Washington these days.  I ordered it at the Majestic Cafe in Alexandria and got Pimms and ginger, but no garnish.  Ordered it at 1789 and I got just Pimms on the rocks, slice of orange.  Ordered at Kinkeads and they didn't even have it!

Thoughts on the Pimms No. 1?  Seems a nice alternative to my standard gin and tonic, which I drink year-round, thankyouverymuch.

TB

#2 2008-07-18 09:29:29

Tucker

Re: Pimms

one part gin, two part Pimms, four parts lemonade (as in 7-Up, Sprite, etc.).  Slices of lemon, orange, maybe lime (not partial to cucumber).  On ice.

#3 2008-07-18 09:42:07

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#4 2008-07-18 09:57:31

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

LOL!

The above post was 11.42 & I've already been accused of Lifestyle-ism.

Not at all.

We can talk about style without dreaming up a 'lifestyle' over here. You can wear a button-down and live any life you choose.

Pimms, Polo and Croquet can sit quite well next to Stella, Footie & a nice Ruby Murray on a Friday night over here.

http://www.croquet.org.uk/garden/index.html

http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000149.html

Enjoy!

#5 2008-07-18 10:05:33

Trad to the Bone

Oh yeah, totally not trolling here.  I want Talk Ivy to succeed!  Just a recent interest of mine, thought there might be some kindred spirits here.  Pun intended.

TB

#6 2008-07-18 11:30:14

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#7 2008-07-18 12:38:16

AQG

Ah, big pitchers of Pimm's with plenty of ice.  Perfect way to drink on the pool deck.  Like our man Tucker, I like some gin in there.  Lemon only for fruit, though. Just one or two slices of cucumber.  Prefer ginger ale to lemon-lime.  Schweppe's Bitter Lemon isn't all bad, either.

A bar I go to has a stock of an odd cucumber soda.  This with a bit of gin and some lemon makes a very good Pimm's cup.

TttB,

If you want Pimm's done as a highball, just tell the bartender to follow the directions on the back of the bottle and add a dash of gin.

#8 2008-07-18 14:18:52

captainpreppy

My mother, God rest her soul, sent a me set of Pimm's mugs many, many years ago when I was living in Lubbock, Texas. I enjoy a Pimm's from time to time. I have never seen fit to fortify it with extra gin, however. When I lived in Lubbock, my landlady had a lot of mint growing in her yard, so I could pick my garnish afresh. My only experience with Pimm's has been with the classic #1 (gin-based). As I recall, there were four other Pimm's Cup formulations, one using whiskey, and I don't remember what the others were based on. Anybody have experience with any of these? I don't know about their availability today. This would have been about 36 years ago.

Lubbock was a strange place when it came to booze. When I was there, it was the largest dry city in the United States, fundamentalist puritans in the form of Baptists and Church of Christers abounding there. Immediately south of the city limits were several huge, warehouse-sized liquor emporia that carried every alchoholic beverage known to man (except absinthe, I suppose, the Green Fairy being illegal in the USA at the time).

#9 2008-07-18 15:19:56

Trad to the Bone

Yes, there were six, based on the following in order:  Gin, Whisky, Brandy, Rum, Rye and Vodka. 

Aparently the Brandy-based Pimm's is sold as Pimms Winter Cup and available mostly abroad.  And Pimm's No. 6 is made in small quantities.

TB

#10 2008-07-18 20:47:30

Kent Dorfman

I don't add extra gin.  I can have twice as many that way! I garnish with whatever citrus is handy, and maybe fresh mint if serving to guests.  I have English friends who use cucumber spears.

I've always thought of a Pimms Cup as strictly British, and my love of them as an outgrowth of my Anglophilia.

Flounder

Oh boy, this is great!

#11 2008-07-19 04:46:28

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#12 2008-09-10 11:45:30

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

Never really thought to try Pimm's, but this thread piqued my interest. Lovely stuff, we go through a bottle or so a week now at Mclennan Castle. Lots of ice, topped up with lemonade.
The lower alcohol volume compared to a G&T can make mornings easier too.

#13 2008-09-11 01:29:29

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

Board footer