You are not logged in.

#26 2010-06-27 14:37:55

Grossgrain Silk

Re: Impressions of Vienna

Film Noir Buff wrote:

Grossgrain Silk wrote:

Most unpleasant city I've ever been to. Utterly unrepentant about its past and full of people living off the advantages they obtained when Grandpa was doing something nasty to some Jew or Communist or homosexual (no gypsies in Vienna).

You can put lipstick on a pig but guess what...

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5993/lipstickpig.jpg
"Excuse me, Sir?"

Fantastic. I claim it as my Avatar when I next change. The glasses just transform you darling.

#27 2010-06-27 19:27:43

Reckless Reggie

'scuse me: what's wrong with glasses on a pig?
RR

I'm Reckless Reggie of the Regent Palace,
I'm in love with every gal;
I flirt with Maudie and I flirt with Alice,
I'm a real life Regent's pal.

#28 2010-06-27 20:12:55

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Grossgrain Silk wrote:

Film Noir Buff wrote:

Grossgrain Silk wrote:

Most unpleasant city I've ever been to. Utterly unrepentant about its past and full of people living off the advantages they obtained when Grandpa was doing something nasty to some Jew or Communist or homosexual (no gypsies in Vienna).

You can put lipstick on a pig but guess what...

"Excuse me, Sir?"

Fantastic. I claim it as my Avatar when I next change. The glasses just transform you darling.

I glamorized myself in anticipation of smooching you.

Le costume fait sur mesure en tissue Fresco est le préféré des ploucs!
Facebook: FNB Dandy  Twitter: @DevilsIslandFNB Instagram: fnbdandy

#29 2010-06-29 13:31:46

Cruz Diez

formby wrote:

Cruz Diez wrote:

I find Budapest far more interesting... I think that only the +80, not young at heart crowd would find Vienna enjoyable.

Budapest is lovely. Have you been to Prague?

Yes. Prague is incredibly beautiful when it snows.

"Luxury is a necessity that begins where necessity ends" Coco Chanel
"A man cannot be born a tailor, but he can be born rich. The patrimony can be inherited, but not the art." Giancarlo Maresca

#30 2010-06-30 05:07:31

fritzl

Cruz Diez wrote:

I find Budapest far more interesting... I think that only the +80, not young at heart crowd would find Vienna enjoyable.

have been to all three cities: prague, budapest and vienna. imo, all of them have their charm. safety is a big plus in vienna.

btw, i'm in vienna right now...

"I'd give all the Champagne I've ever drunk to be playing alongside him(Eric Cantona) in a big European match at Old Trafford." George Best(1946 -2005)

#31 2010-06-30 23:12:24

Sator

Film Noir Buff wrote:

"Excuse me, Sir?"

It's funny to see this thread come back to life after so long. It's good to see it generating some talk.

I see some people didn't see the cheeky reference to this old post:

http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/in … amp;p=5242

#32 2017-05-06 11:30:28

Kingston1an

Golden oldie thread revisit.

Where are they all now?

Anyway, Viennese seem to wear a lot of layers in a 'never cast a clout til May is out' style. Lots of people wearing scarfs. Then again weather forecasts seem to be useless. Again I saw more long raincoats than in London and - lo and behold - it rained later in the day.

Very nice city. Ignore Grosgrain comments. Secure feeling too. Compared to say Paris or a German city.

I read about Hapsburgs but it never dawned on me just how much wealth they actually had. Wonderful palaces and works of art. Also the various churchs are an absolute delight.

I don't get the coffee and cake thing.

Nor do I have a great fondness for the wurst stands.

However, the beers were great and the bars and beisls offered great value hearty food. Too much for me to finish and I have a good appetite.

Definitely a city to return to.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2017-05-06 11:31:01)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#33 2017-05-06 13:05:19

Beestonplace

Ahh, the Hapsburgs.

I love all the former ruling dynasties - Hapsburgs, Cennedy, and the Vindsors of course.

Plachutta is worth a visit, too, and Bristol and Sacher hotels for food. Avoid the new Mandarin Oriental.

Board footer