A Grosgrain Gift from Egadfly:

http://www.fhwadsworth.com/belts/gosling.html

He and I both like this Bermuda belt.

You?

Best -

#2 2008-07-25 13:00:21

Kent Dorfman

Re: A Grosgrain Gift from Egadfly:

You know, I've never developed a taste for those clinchy type belts.  Are they old-line Ivy?  They sort of strike me as "1980s Sorrority Girl".  Maybe some sort of deficiency on my part.

Flounder

Oh boy, this is great!

#3 2008-07-25 17:56:23

shuman

#4 2008-07-26 00:37:25

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Surcingle I'd say was more old line Ivy.
Good question - Where does the ribbon belt come from? It is rather 'Femmy' now you come to mention it (unlike the English snake-buckle version somehow, or is that just me?).
I'm guessing to comes to us from WASP resort wear via the Preppy connection. Ribbon belts are certainly a Trad staple on AAAT today.

I quite like them for a change in the summer. They add to the mix, being lightweight & colourful (or not, if you choose more classic designs).

Thinking about it 'One Who Knows' (remember him?) talked about ribbon belts back in the day as being popular because they didn't 'wear too warm' in the Summer I seem to recall. Making an obvious connection from that statement could it be that ribbon belts would therefore be more popular in the South than in New England due to the climate?

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks -

#5 2008-07-26 07:21:59

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Via PM:

"The point of the grosgrain belt (assuming it's not hidden under an untucked polo) is simply to provide some color.  With chinos and a white oxford, for example, a belt with some blues and greens breaks things up a bit.  At the moment, I'm partial to this one from Leather Man (see below).  It has the traditional brass d-rings, as opposed to the squared-off, silvertone rings one sees more often now and is a nice weight.  Once I would have worn it with a pink oxford, but I find that I've been dialing back the colors a bit recently, so it gets more use with my standard khaki Bermudas and a navy or white polo, or an old sky-blue linen camp shirt (bought at Banana Republic a million years ago when they were ostensibly a purveyor or travel and safari clothes).  And yes, OWK is correct: these belts are lighter and therefore more comfortable than surcingles in the heat...

... The point here is that you do not wear these to work.  The idea that clothes have a context is one that somehow seems to escape comment on the forae, but what one wears to a hung-over brunch with friends is not what one wore to the dinner the night before."

http://leathermanltd.com/stripes-1-5/images/GGS-23-hunter%20navy%20tri%20stripe-1_5_jpg.jpg

#6 2008-07-26 08:01:38

Matt
Ivy Original.

Not to put too fine a point on it, the grosgrain cinch belt, in a way, serves the purpose of GTH trousers, for those that can't bring off the GTH trouser look.

OCBD, Bills',  and Weejuns livens up a bit with the grosgrain belt. A bit of color, but doesn't shout at you.

#7 2008-07-26 19:49:21

Kent Dorfman

Oh boy, this is great!

#8 2008-07-26 23:37:48

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Nothing wrong with an in-depth knowledge of Sorority Girls, Kent. You be who you are. There's no shame in be a Heterosexual. We welcome everyone here.

wink

From Tintin's Blog:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_wwgXxAjQedA/SIfLmnrO1SI/AAAAAAAAAa8/WcBSsqEwDVM/s1600-h/BrynMawrNoir.jpg

http://bp0.blogger.com/_wwgXxAjQedA/SIfL2OWPYII/AAAAAAAAAbU/G5zXOzZ-dnA/s1600-h/Bryn+MawrYearbook.jpg

J.

Last edited by Russell_Street (2008-07-27 00:10:57)

#9 2008-07-28 05:57:38

Patrick

I emailed this Wadsworth outfit, and they aren't selling any belts until Spring of 2009.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#10 2008-07-28 08:33:30

Kent Dorfman

Oh boy, this is great!

Board footer