You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-05 18:22:24

GFBurke

Spectators brown/white

Hey all, anyone have a brand name or a source on some good brown and white spectator shoes?  Looking for something like the Allen-Edmonds "Broadstreet" model but those are only black & white.  Seems like brown-white are hard to find.  Price, something reasonable (ie not bespoke)

The tricky part is that I am size 13 so it's hard to find sometimes (although it's gotten better in recent years, I used to have to go into shoe stores and say "what have you got in 13" and pick from those.)

I heard about Remix Vintage Shoes in LA but they only go up to Size 12. sad

#2 2006-06-05 19:02:27

Will

Re: Spectators brown/white

"Not bespoke" covers a lot of territory.

You can order a pair of Malvern IIIs from Edward Green in a variety of calf, reversed calf and twill combinations.

Will's thoughts on classic men's clothing
http://www.asuitablewardrobe.net/

#3 2006-06-05 22:17:59

GFBurke

#4 2006-06-05 22:22:58

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#5 2006-06-06 08:00:36

Lord Copper

I must admit that the ubiquity of b/w co-respondents leaves me puzzled.  It's such a casual shoe, in what circumstances would you be wearing them with anything that goes remotely with black leather?

Of all places, Brooks Bros has a very nice brown one with canvas right now (as well as the loathsome b/w).  I have a pair and they're beautiful and not too expensive.  (I firmly believe that a frippery like a co-respondent shoe should not be dear.)  The salesman told me that C&J made them, but I think he was confused and they're actually Sargents.  There's also a similar pair with a double monk strap, but I think that's beginning to flirt too closely with "spiv".

On the whole, however, I'm very impressed by the Peal designs these last couple of years.  In fact, I was in BB for the sale yesterday, and the orgy of classic summer colours and styles really warmed the cockles.

#6 2006-06-06 08:24:22

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Black and white specs are very advanced. used for grey pants or suits (like a fresco) and for navy suits in either summer weights or fabrics like linen. Not the midnight shade of navy but that medium or brighter "blueberry" shade. Also b/w is good with grey and white seersucker. If you want to take it to the next level, navy and white with cream pants or sky blue pants and a navy "blazer".

However for a first step, brown and white may indeed be more useful. Keep the brown calf medium to dark.

#7 2006-06-06 11:56:56

GFBurke

Ooh, B&W spectators and grey pants with a glen plaid houndstooth jacket, white shirt and bright red or even orangey- yellow tie. Red socks. All greyscale except for the socks and tie (and pocket square).  That would look great.

#8 2006-06-07 21:46:18

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#9 2006-06-08 13:16:17

JLibourel

For a $100 surcharge over normal full retail, Allen-Edmonds will custom make you the Broadstreet (or any other shoes) in the leathers of your choice. I think white suede or nubuck and A-E's chestnut Antibes calf would be a striking combo. (As I recall, FlatSix on the AAAC forum ordered something like that last year.) Unfortunately, if you are going for spectators, they must be on the same last as the Broadstreet, the #3, which I don't find a very good fit. I think that last year they had a deal during August whereby the custom special orders were only $25 over full retail during that month.

#10 2006-06-08 16:03:34

Novaguy

I'm pretty sure BB has a brown leather and white suede spectator at the bigger stores.  You might be able to just call 346 and get one from there.

#11 2006-06-09 10:54:29

Miles Away

The last time I saw Lord Fairfax (or so he was pointed out to me on this occasion, I had seen the same man on and off for the previous 3 years) at Charlecot Park he wore these with pale cream wide cut cotton trousers, a blue end-on-end spread collar shirt (undone), and an olive wide wale corduroy jacket in the English cut (Darted, 2 button, but with minimal waist supression and shoulder padding). I was not close enough to be able to report on his socks.
He carried a medium sized glass of white wine and a newspaper (title unknown).
I quickly sketched him on a post card for my brother as an good example of a stylish man at home and at ease. It was probably early May of 1998, around 2pm.
The sketch was entitled 'Ruddy Lord Fairfax' on account of the contrast between his healthy pink complexion and his slightly curling white hair. He made you think a little of the actor Dudley Sutton, but not much. A stylish man anyway, whoever he actually was.
It was the way he wore his clothes more than what he wore... He could have been the gardener for all I know.
The sketch had various 'humourous' captions. The spectators had an arrow pointing to them with the caption: "Especial shoes for executing the Charleston".
I recall my brother saying that my sketch had really made him smile.

(True story).

Miles

Last edited by Miles Away (2006-06-09 10:55:28)

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#12 2006-06-10 12:37:51

arenn

Call Plain Clothes in Birmingham, Alabama.  Last year the owner had a batch of Alden brown/white specs (with real white buck, not white glove leather) made up.  They may still have what you are looking for in stock.  Price around $450.  The only other decent brown/white spectators I've seen are much more expensive.  It seems that classic shoes like this are the province of the connoisseur these days, with prices set accordingly.

#13 2006-06-10 14:00:49

sweetbooness2

I believe Plain Clothes did re-order the Alden specs for this season. I have never called to check back, but they are very accomodating.

The number is 205-871-3391.

Board footer