You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-18 06:22:02

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

"Sussed" -

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sussed

"sussed Definition from Wiktionary, a free dictionaryJump to: navigation, search

[edit] English
[edit] Adjective sussed

(slang) sorted; completed successfully; well-informed."

I use this word a lot, but never through laziness - It isn't some kind of nebulous catch-all term by any means and never has been.

Being Sussed is the end product of a lengthy apprenticeship, of "Doing The Knowledge" to use another London term.

I think it is the one word in the English language which for precision absolutely out-classes all those very precise German compound-nouns that you hear so much about.

Only London has Suss. Only London has the concept & the attitude.

Suss is a stone-cold hard evaluation of everything which never stops. It's a ruthless and never ending process which gives London its edge.

An example: Some American will tell you that Alden are the "Gold Standard" of loafers to which a Londoner will reply "Well how good can they be if somebody like you knows about them and is promoting them?"

Adolpho Dominguez was hip in London until Robert Elms was heard to drop his name. R.E. is fine, but if he's talking about A.D. then A.D. is over.

Wear Kenwoods & don't take any crap from anybody and you'll be Sussed for this week.

Next weeks rules will be strictly on a 'need to know' basis.

- I'll need to ask Chris_H & John Gall what they are.

Stay Sharp -

Jim wink

#2 2008-08-18 06:45:44

jesmond
Ivy Genius

Re: "Sussed" -

....No, Jim, YOU`re Sussed.I`ll give you that...

#3 2008-08-18 07:34:28

tintin

A favorite word of mine and rarely heard state side.  Hear it a lot in my biz in London, "He's good at sussing out things like that, yeah."  Or, The Jam's, "Ive sussed you out." 

Stay frosty,

Tintin
www.thetrad.blogspot.com

#4 2008-08-18 12:49:38

Horace

Russell_Street wrote:

Being Sussed is the end product of a lengthy apprenticeship, of "Doing The Knowledge" to use another London term.

I think it is the one word in the English language which for precision absolutely out-classes all those very precise German compound-nouns that you hear so much about.

Only London has Suss. Only London has the concept & the attitude.

Suss is a stone-cold hard evaluation of everything which never stops. It's a ruthless and never ending process which gives London its edge.

Chum,

Much thanks for the definition.  I intuited that it meant sorted-out, in some way.  But not to the degree that you define here.  Doesn't is smack of trying a bit too hard though?

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#5 2008-08-19 02:28:55

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

It is absolutely about making an effort and it is a never ending process - I was talking to a chum about this elsewhere yesterday and how something like the famous Shoe Pyramid is the antithesis of 'Suss'. 'Suss' is always moving on. It is nothing to do with trying to establish certainties like you see on the Internet with all those 'Gold Standard'  items.

The effort put into being Sussed is either concealed in an off-hand, throw-away way or shown off to demonstrate how serious you are about whatever it is you're obsessed by - Both positions will earn you equal respect.

Everything is very well thought out and the result of careful evaluation. Nothing is just an 'organic' choice. Nobody is just wearing Brooks because it is what his Father wore for instance. Everything is about that Stylist's mentality of researching everything first.

The less obvious choice is always valued far more than obvious. In the 80's that meant Press not Brooks for me, and the few Crimson Shop items I have I value even more. A chorus of approval for anything makes a Stylist a bit sniffy about it just by some sort of reflex. My Buffalo Creek Traders are better than your Aldens because they're more 'In The Know'!

Very London, all this, and another divide between American wearers of The Look and Non-Americans I think.

#6 2008-08-19 03:47:19

Alex Roest

Russell_Street wrote:

Everything is very well thought out and the result of careful evaluation. Nothing is just an 'organic' choice. Nobody is just wearing Brooks because it is what his Father wore for instance. Everything is about that Stylist's mentality of researching everything first.

That's an excellent observation, there has to be a certain logic behind everything that's being worn, otherwise what's the point ? From a Stylist point of view every outfit should tell a little story and just like putting pen to paper without carefully thinking things through just throwing on some clobber makes no sense to him...

#7 2008-08-19 05:48:03

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

... And for me a big eye-opener has been finding people like Alex & Jason (Get Smart) on the Net.

- They both have this very (to me) 'London' sensibility in Holland & America. So probably that blows my theory of what Suss is wide open.

John Gall is from Liverpool & he is amazingly Sussed. Few meet his standard in the capital in my experience.

I'm not Sussed by nature (If I am indeed Sussed at all) and have always had to work at it, but there are those who seem to have an instinct for all this - Natural stylists who can combine cut, cloth & texture in a seemingly  effortless way. Usually they dress down, but do so perfectly. Less is always more with them...

White Brooks Bros OCBD.
Dark Blue Donegal flecked Alan Paine crewneck sweater.
Well worn real American Levis.
Black Classic Sebago Beefrolls.

^ That's the rig I remember Ian from The Ivy Shop in most. Each choice perfect in its own way and the combination of all the component parts equally perfect too. He wore Navy Cords for the Saturday before Christmas in '87, but other than that he played it all down in an era when most people in menswear tricked themselves up like right ponces.

At the 'interview' for my short-lived gig at The Ivy Shop (a Tuesday) I rolled up in a Blue/White Hathaway Candy stripe OCBD from Simpsons, a Black silk knit tie from Liberty's, a Dark Brown Shepherd's Check sportcoat from Brooks with Dark Grey flatfront, cuffed Flannels (but not quite Charcoal) from M&S, Black Bass Tassel Weejuns & plain Navy Burlingtons. A Mid Brown Tweed Herringbone Raglan sleeved overcoat (by Crombie surprisingly) went over the top. I was 22.

The next Saturday I rolled up for work (Talking my lead from checking out Ian at our initial chat) in a Troy Shirtmakers Blue/white Candy stripe OCBD, Navy heavy ribbed Crewnwck, Very pale Khaki Chinos with rolled bottoms (Levis!) and the Navy socks & Black Tassel Weejuns again.

Mid-afternoon John Simons rang up.

Ian to JS: 'I've got one of your customers here... He looks the part.'

No kinder words have ever been spoken about me. My 'Interview' outfit was way over the top  - I was trying far too hard. It was only when I'd pulled it all back that Ian acknowledged what I was wearing for the first time. I'd been at my least impressive when I'd tried to impress. A lesson learned.

Such is the nature of Suss.

J.

#8 2008-08-19 06:16:40

Horace

Russell_Street wrote:

... And for me a big eye-opener has been finding people like Alex & Jason (Get Smart) on the Net.

- They both have this very (to me) 'London' sensibility in Holland & America. So probably that blows my theory of what Suss is wide open.

John Gall is from Liverpool & he is amazingly Sussed. Few meet his standard in the capital in my experience.

I'm not Sussed by nature (If I am indeed Sussed at all) and have always had to work at it, but there are those who seem to have an instinct for all this - Natural stylists who can combine cut, cloth & texture in a seemingly  effortless way. Usually they dress down, but do so perfectly. Less is always more with them...

White Brooks Bros OCBD.
Dark Blue Donegal flecked Alan Paine crewneck sweater.
Well worn real American Levis.
Black Classic Sebago Beefrolls.

^ That's the rig I remember Ian from The Ivy Shop in most. Each choice perfect in its own way and the combination of all the component parts equally perfect too. He wore Navy Cords for the Saturday before Christmas in '87, but other than that he played it all down in an era when most people in menswear tricked themselves up like right ponces.

At the 'interview' for my short-lived gig at The Ivy Shop (a Tuesday) I rolled up in a Blue/White Hathaway Candy stripe OCBD from Simpsons, a Black silk knit tie from Liberty's, a Dark Brown Shepherd's Check sportcoat from Brooks with Dark Grey flatfront, cuffed Flannels (but not quite Charcoal) from M&S, Black Bass Tassel Weejuns & plain Navy Burlingtons. A Mid Brown Tweed Herringbone Raglan sleeved overcoat (by Crombie surprisingly) went over the top. I was 22.

The next Saturday I rolled up for work (Talking my lead from checking out Ian at our initial chat) in a Troy Shirtmakers Blue/white Candy stripe OCBD, Navy heavy ribbed Crewnwck, Very pale Khaki Chinos with rolled bottoms (Levis!) and the Navy socks & Black Tassel Weejuns again.

Mid-afternoon John Simons rang up.

Ian to JS: 'I've got one of your customers here... He looks the part.'

No kinder words have ever been spoken about me. My 'Interview' outfit was way over the top  - I was trying far too hard. It was only when I'd pulled it all back that Ian acknowledged what I was wearing for the first time. I'd been at my least impressive when I'd tried to impress. A lesson learned.

Such is the nature of Suss.

J.

Chum,

Some great looks you detail above.

Part of the description above though does seem to have an organic quality that you seem to imply that is the antithesis of Suss.

A lot of contradictions, it would seem.....

Cheerio,

'or

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#9 2008-08-19 07:03:39

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Paradox, contradiction... It's typically European maybe?

An honest artifice? Something contrived yet with an innate organic foundation?

wink  Words fail me!

... Ivy in England does not belong. To wear it is never an accident. But the spirit that drives some to wear it is entrely English. What could be quite as English as such a rejection of Englishness?

The motivation is organic but the expression of that impulse is a contrivance?

(Paris on Friday. I'm just warming up, folks!)

Last edited by Russell_Street (2008-08-19 07:13:29)

#10 2008-08-19 07:53:18

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

If Suss is a term for the the distillation of information would that make sense?

The process is a very deliberate one, but the desire to do it in the first place is something innate?

Last edited by Russell_Street (2008-08-19 12:43:57)

#11 2008-08-20 09:26:45

mike

dearest uncle russell

im chuffed your sussed

You love him? He is hephaistion.

#12 2008-08-20 15:12:47

Brownshoe

I think I understand the concept, but it seems a little neurotic to me...and I don't need any help in that department.  This "sussed" business, to my way of thinking, gives way too much power to the observer--perhaps an imaginary one, which is really crazy--and would seem to lead to some uptight and unhappy moments when it comes to getting dressed.

Jim, in your interview story, both outfits sound great, but I prefer your "trying too hard" one, because, well, I love clothes, and this one just sounds like more fun, snazzier, more interesting.  I'm all for the minimalist understated thing, too, but I'd prefer to dress to suit MY mood, not to win the approval of some (maybe notional) cognoscenti.

I do think it's a cultural thing.  I know it's a cardinal English sin to be caught trying too hard or caring very much about anything.  There is an emphasis on getting it "right," and "right" is a slippery, changeable thing that takes tremendous effort to grasp and equal effort to disguise the initial effort and great God who has the energy?

I got so tired of my hip friends turning on bands when they became too popular and that whole mindset...I understand the sentiment but I think I'm just too much of a hedonist to follow suit.  If it gives me pleasure, sign me up.  I'm guided solely by what I instinctively like (said instinct shaped by myriad influences, of course). 

I don't care if it's from the Andover Shop or the Gap.  If I like the cloth and the cut, that's it.

#13 2008-08-21 01:51:59

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

It's obsessional behaviour for sure.

Being in the know, being one step ahead, living for (whatever) style... An aspect of Dandyism I suppose?

You have to be that way to start with I think. You need to have an 'eye' for things which you then train by obsessing over details.

'Being Sussed' is probably the ultimate in London cool. And it's another interesting cultural difference between us that it appears 'trying too hard' or 'neurotic' to Americans maybe. I'm very relaxed about that.

One aspect of the American clothing MBs which fascinates me is the fact that Americans are on them in the first place making a big show about not caring that much about clothes... And yet they are on the clothing MBs!
To me that's really funny stuff.

From my London POV the laziness and lack of attention to detail often shown on the American MBs when it comes to a subject like dear old 'Trad' for instance is a laugh riot. Jeeves has been to J. Simons & can vouch for the seriousness of the place when it comes to details and knowledge of the Ivy League style. The Japanese then take that attention to detail on to a whole other level.

Being well informed is considered very cool in London. Nothing geeky or nerdy about it over here!

I dress for myself primarily these days and very rarely have to wear anything I don't feel like wearing, even to client meetings.
Thirty years of obsessing over Ivy style has given me quite an education & I wouldn't be without it. My obsession with Jazz has equally shaped my sense of aesthetics too. It's all been such great fun.

The whole thing has been a great motivating force too - The quest to find the perfect button-down or perfect Herringbone Tweed jacket. There's a Holy Grail aspect to it all which I find very entertaining.

Your point about giving power to the observer is lost on me - Which is another really interesting cultural difference. I have all the power in deciding what I choose to put across. The observer either gets it or they don't. And if they don't get it then maybe they just aren't Sussed enough!

Self confidence is a lot to do with this - Something a million miles away from the approval seeking attitude we so often see on the American MBs.

This time tomorrow I'll be in Paris continuing the quest. Just hanging out, checking out obscure brands of loafers and looking for old records in Crocojazz...

Fun to muse about all this, Brother Brownshoe, Thanks.

Best -

Jim

#14 2008-08-21 03:36:01

jesmond
Ivy Genius

To me Sussed is just about being `clued-up` and it is about seeing the wider picture...Sussed to me doesn`t mean that someone is necessarily `elitist` or motivated by elitism since there may very well be elements of anti-elitism within a sussed persons personal style.(In fact a degree of anti-elitism may well be a pre-requisite).It is about those dresser`s who always seem somehow to get it right.

I like to think that a Sussed dresser would give a bit of time and would give a bit of thought to to a whole wider picture when considering each of his clothing purchases , ut this is only part of being sussed.Sussed is only a word and it perturbs me just a little that the word is seemingly becoming too mythical and is carrying too much power.

Ultimately i think we all KNOW instinctively when we see a really sussed dresser. It`s the guy who is always dressed well.It`s the person who invariably always seems to be dressed in a way that is pleasing and welcome to the eye whenever it is that we see them.We all know someone like that...The sussed dresser will be the one who knows just what is the the best and most pleasing to look at combination of personal apparel for them to wear on any given day or indeed at any given time.

He`ll be taking in all sorts of subliminal factors before he decides what to wear but he probably WONT be trying too hard, (if indeed at all).It will be more a case of personal intuition channelled from endless information gathering.It will be a very personal antennae like receptiveness.

It will invariably be about a personal spontaneity and a personal intuitiveness about wearing the right combination at the right time.Some days he`ll be wearing really pared down stuff; white t` chinos and pumps and the next day he`ll be dressed to the nines.You can`t pin him down.

I think sussed by it`s very nature is NOT about a question of neurotically worrying about wether something one chooses to wear is going to be cool to those in the know.I think sussed is far beyond that and is far more of a very personally lead, subjective and intuitive quality.He is lead by his OWN inner voice and is following his OWN instincts.He firstly dresses so personally for himself (and this is the sussed dresser`s great love) but he also dresses for EVERYONE else whatever their station in life and whoever they may be  (and this is not limited to but INCLUSIVE of the cognoscenti , whoever they may be).Indeed he is a stylistic Democrat  for a Democratic audience.

He will be taking in and absorbing all the myriad of visual and  subliminal influences and information around him and all these visual influences will be processed and will be filtered down to guide him to perhaps a few prospective purchases.Pehaps questions of quality, versatility, utility, practicality, stylishness , and classicism will ALL be assessed about each prospective purchase.Questions of would each prospective item work well within the sussed persons personal wardrobe for example? The choices he eventually decides on will be no fluke...

He`ll then cooly chuck away girly pre-occupations with contrived looks.He`ll be the one who`ll go with his gut instincts about what feels the most comfortable ,most cool and apposite choice of clothing to wear (the particular selection or choice of which will be the IDEAL choice for him personally to wear/at any given time). Factors like the weather outside, the time of the day, the brightness of the light outside, the environmental conetxt will no doubt subliminally and consciously affect his un-trying and intuitive choices.(These choices may well be very plain, basic or pared down stuff.Minimalist stuff when done well will always look and feel comfortable.But he is dressing for himself and be true and honest to himself.The sussed dressser will have a discenible integrity to his look).

This is my appreciation of the word `Sussed`.

#15 2008-08-21 04:41:18

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

^ Now that's Sussed.

Jim

#16 2008-08-21 04:58:52

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

... And again I remain the eternal outsider...

I'd never heard the word 'Sussed' until I was 19 & I met a pair of 34 year old Ivy Stylers in a London club. You know how that story goes...

They to me seemed to have that innate thing of never having to have tried to achieve The Look. With age I know now that that could never have really been the case, they had to have done The Knowledge to be as Sussed as they appeared to me back in '85. Nobody in England is born an expert on Ivy style.

- Me?

I had to learn all this stuff alone from LP sleeves, films & magazines & then be helped by those who came before me in London to pull it all together.

Jesmond is the real deal here. Ring us both up & listen to our voices.

There is a London thing of cut & cloth & style which is second nature to some. Not me.

For me this style was & remains something 'other'. An escape from boredom.

Gawd Bless it!

J. wink

#17 2008-08-21 09:14:48

Alex Roest

jesmond wrote:

To me Sussed is just about being `clued-up` and it is about seeing the wider picture...Sussed to me doesn`t mean that someone is necessarily `elitist` or motivated by elitism since there may very well be elements of anti-elitism within a sussed persons personal style.(In fact a degree of anti-elitism may well be a pre-requisite).It is about those dresser`s who always seem somehow to get it right.

He`ll be taking in all sorts of subliminal factors before he decides what to wear but he probably WONT be trying too hard, (if indeed at all).It will be more a case of personal intuition channelled from endless information gathering.It will be a very personal antennae like receptiveness.

It will invariably be about a personal spontaneity and a personal intuitiveness about wearing the right combination at the right time.Some days he`ll be wearing really pared down stuff; white t` chinos and pumps and the next day he`ll be dressed to the nines.You can`t pin him down.

I think sussed by it`s very nature is NOT about a question of neurotically worrying about wether something one chooses to wear is going to be cool to those in the know.I think sussed is far beyond that and is far more of a very personally lead, subjective and intuitive quality.He is lead by his OWN inner voice and is following his OWN instincts.He firstly dresses so personally for himself (and this is the sussed dresser`s great love) but he also dresses for EVERYONE else whatever their station in life and whoever they may be  (and this is not limited to but INCLUSIVE of the cognoscenti , whoever they may be).Indeed he is a stylistic Democrat  for a Democratic audience.

Good stuff, John  cool

#18 2008-08-21 10:50:06

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

He really does button it down very well.

If I was really Sussed then the attitude above would be second nature to me.

It isn't.

I've spent three decades working on Doing The Knowledge and my knowledge of Ivy is still a work in progress...

Still fun though!

I guess that at the end of the day Suss is maybe an attitude first & foremost. It's not for the likes of me to try to pin down.

I maintain that it's the hallmark of a true Stylist though. That attention to detail & drive to know their subject which sorts the men from the boys when it comes to any style.

For me it's all been a part of the quest to find out as much as I can about Ivy style.

No easy answers. Just a thirst for the real deal.

J.

#19 2008-08-21 12:08:04

jesmond
Ivy Genius

Russell_Street wrote:

If I was really Sussed then the attitude above would be second nature to me.

It isn't.

Yeah, it isn`t second nature to me either...Sometimes i do just care just too much.I`m always and WILL always be learning.

#20 2008-08-21 23:31:27

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

wouldn't that constant learning and knowing that one is never ready but one must learn -attitude be a big part of the mighty thing called 'suss'?

---
get your kicks on route six six six

#21 2008-08-22 00:37:28

jesmond
Ivy Genius

heikki k wrote:

wouldn't that constant learning and knowing that one is never ready but one must learn -attitude be a big part of the mighty thing called 'suss'?

I`d say so Heikki.I love the fascination that comes from constantly learning new things and from re-appraising my own current and former perceptions or ways of looking at things.I like it when others can make me look at things , looks , attitudes or clothing items anew.Constant re-vigoration...The beauty of it is that there really are no rights or wrongs.If there are rules , then maybe those rules just need to be broken.

It`s that compulsion to be constantly trying to discover new things and to be trying to spark new ideas that i personally find so compelling.Constantly trying to dig deeper rather than scratching the surface and all that...I suppose it`s a kind of `work` that is 24/7 and can be all-consuming but it never ever feels like work and it is to myself an abiding and possibly innate passion.

#22 2008-08-22 02:27:07

the style councillor

'Suss' or 'Clued Up' cannot be taught or coached. You either have it or you don't. It's has simple as that. Substitute 'Suss' for confidence, and your half way there. If you haven't got the confidence to stride outside of your front door after earlier peacockin in front of your mirror in the look you have perceived to be the dogs gonads, how the hell can you expect the uneducated eye not to mock? To surmise, it's down to you. You should know what works, if you don't, then you may as well join the masses and buy yourself a track suit and a pair of reebok classics, or some baggy arsed americanised garb, a suit from George at Asda complete with shirt and tie and big cumbersome buckle shoes or head for Sloane St and hit Gucci, Armani, D & G etc and get fleeced for poor quality but top quality marketing/branding.

#23 2008-08-22 05:22:20

jesmond
Ivy Genius

Hi S.C.

I think you are spot-on for making the point that confidence is VITAL and integral to all this.This really isn`t about following the `herd`. I think it`s a case of following ones own core inner beliefs and perceptions of what is personally right for them.I think it`s about ones own unique assured inner conviction in the personal choices they have come to choose and about ones own inner conviction in their own very personal beliefs and perceptions.To me it`s about having the confidence of your (very personal) convictions.

Confidence is integral to what we are talking about here.Confidence to go with intimately and uniquely personal choices that others wouldn`t necesarily opt for and the resultant necessary confidence to take a bit of a risk in wearing and opting for such very personal choices.Confidence and the perception and `chutzpah` that the approbation and the good approval of others will be taken as read (wether this is actually the case or not...(!)). The really confident person will not care a jot, his confidence will enable him to ride over any doubts or misgivings (potential or real) in others minds.

He is only human though and he cares deeply about `getting it right`.His antenna like receptivity will be constantly re-appraising his own former and current perceptions of all his current, personal clothing items and combinations).
I think it`s about an admirable and pleasing degree of personal creativity and of `chutzpah`.There is a tangible, discernible and admirable honesty and integrity here...

For my own part i like to think that a personal openness to changing and revising former biased or negative opinions or perceptions about clothing items or styles etc helps to give me a confidence, freshness and license to think and purchase very personally.There is fluidity.I suppose i hope that my own personal dress style is less easy to pin down.Always look for the new.Always move on...

#24 2008-08-22 07:56:09

the style councillor

Ahhhhhh, I do believe I have found a kindred spirit, jesmond! What looks ok on someone else might not be my cup of tea, [i.e. the brogues ballinger thread] and I will say so, but that's not to say I expect that person to stop wearing them on my, or anybody else's say so! My outlook is this: If you like, you buy - you wear? The problems arise [IMO] when you put yourself on public forums but then whinge if and when the flack flies. if you don't like the flack, don't post your pics [complete with your clock] for all the world to see and then take the comments all so precious and personal?
For instance, today, I have just been to a business meeting with a very, very wealthy man in a knitted short sleeved three buttoned [grey with red & black piping] limited edition Fred Perry, a pair of black Giorgio Armani needle cords sat flush [no puckering at all in the leg, my pet hate!] on top of my Oxblood Russell & Bromley tassled loafers [65 in the sale] with blood red pantherella socks. My outfit definetly cost more than his cheap off the peg ill fitted suit, shirt, tie and shoes, but that's another argument for a different day] Now I don't give a flying you know what if he didn't like my attire and I don't get the contract because of it. What you see is what you get and I make no excuses for it. I do not bow or scrape before any man. In fact, I would rather swing from a tree than have someone dictate to me what I should wear [you are free to comment all you like about my sartorial eloquence, but it will make not a jot of difference to me or change my mind], because once they start on your clothing they are effectively telling you how to live. I know full well who I am and what I've got, and no one will change that.

Last edited by the style councillor (2008-08-22 08:32:58)

#25 2008-08-22 08:02:04

Patrick

If I'm having fun, then I'm confident. If I wonder if I'm doing it right, I'm in the tall weeds.

Board footer