You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-01 14:28:58

Tim

A Stranger in town.

Just thought I'd introduce myself briefly, I'll spare you the grusome details, suffice to say that having followed faintly "mod" foot-steps and following my nose, I stumbled across the Ivy look, which to me epitomised all that is cool.

I probably wont be saying much for now, I'm still VERY new to the look and sadly have limited resources as to where/how items can be acquired.

As I work in a messy & dirty enviroment, my current staples are very much of the casual kind - Khaki's with a white T and oxford-cloth button-downs in stripes and plains, most of which I own are BD Baggies bought from John Simmons. Socks (at the moment) I tend not to bother with and shoes are an extremely battered pair of Sebago docksiders. To smarten up, I tend to iron a shirt and don a cleanish pair of khaki's and swap the docksiders for my pride & joy - a US made pair of Scotch-grain Weejuns.

I'm hoping you'll all be kind enough to steer me towards sartorial enlightenment, - I very much enjoy reading the posts despite finding some of them somewhat intimidating!

Thanks,
Tim

#2 2008-09-01 15:13:45

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Re: A Stranger in town.

Nothing intimidating over here! This is not Ask Andy, and it's not Modculture... Everybody over here has his own personal style and everybody wants to learn. We don't have a Mr KnowItAll and we don't have a leader...

We like some discussion and we all have different likes/ dislikes... There might be certain classics we can all agree on, but I have my doubts...

General faves are probably OCBDs, natural shoulder sport jackets, flat fronted trousers, sack suits, narrow ties, penny loafers, brogues or plain caps and of course certain knitwear...

Oh, I guess, I was wrong, there was also some doubt about "Ballinger Brogues" recently, I recall...

There is room for so many different tastes on this forum. We got the occasional troll, but that's fine, it adds spice to the soup. If you don't insult people and if you show a certain respect, you are welcome and you will have your fun!

Ivy has a lot of different aspects:

The student look with polo shirts, Bermudaq shorts and top siders...

The professor look with bow ties, whale motif ties, white bucks, Nantucket reds...

A smart young, urban professional look- Business Ivy...charcoal and navy suits, crisp OCBDs, etc.

A relaxed, casual style with jeans and T-shirts... classic Americana...

New England hunting, fishing sportswear...

Linen, poplin, Seersucker, Madras... "Southern Trad"...

The Modern Jazz look...

The English subcultural connection- Mods, Skinhead and Suedehead style...

"Preppy"....

You probably know what I'm talking about!

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#3 2008-09-02 01:14:45

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Hello Tim -

You're very welcome here - everybody here is just an enthusiast like you. Post away or feel very free to PM if you'd rather, just to find your feet in the early days.

Who do you like who wears the Ivy style just out of interest? Steve McQueen?
The Look has so many manifestations and all of them just as valid as the next in my book.

Have fun here,

Best -

Jim

#4 2008-09-02 01:51:05

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#5 2008-09-03 10:10:09

Tim

Thanks for the welcome.
I take my influences from all over the place, I must admit - I've only ever seen a couple of non-film photo's of Steve McQueen and did like what I saw. Some of the things that really caught my eye was some of the outfits in American Graffiti (for my sins!) - reading copies of my Dad's old Playboy, LP covers of various jazz musicians - Chet Baker for example (but not the hair-cut!), talking to John, Kenny & Jeff in John Simons and all kinds of things.
I don't really know which look I could categorize myself into to be hounest, I love that faintly collegiate look, khakis, rolled up OCBDs with a with T-shirt underneath & penny loafers (Take Ivy style) - I can neither afford or have the opportunity to wear things I think I'd really like to, if that makes sense.. I have a couple of cardigans I adore (one of which came from Jason's company, Thick As Thieves) but nothing to wear them with and no opportunity to wear them anyway.. With me, its quite often a case of "one day.."

#6 2008-09-03 10:22:23

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I think you have the style already.

'One day' you can explore it more if you want, but for now you have The Look already.

Take the Internet with a pinch of salt.

From what you've told me you're right at home on Russell Street, WC2B, just as you are now.

Best -

Board footer