You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-11 05:37:41

Miles Away

The Wardrobe as Autobiography.

(Continuing my thoughts of yesterday)...

Like most people my wardrobe is organised into business suits, grouped by colour; then tweeds, grouped by colour, etc.

The thought occurs that the same clothes arranged chronologically would give a pretty good story of my life expressed in suits, shirts, and Rep/knitted ties.

My 20's are pretty well summed up by blazers and chinos.
My 30's would be the business suits & tweeds
My 40's - an gradual evolution towards my current Slack Jacket obsession.

Certain milestones have their own pieces of clothing that go with them - The Navy/Maroon/Silver rep tie I was married in, the Mossy Green Shetland sweater my baby daughter was terribly sick on during one of her first car trips... Stuff like that.

Anybody else got items of clothing that sum up an era for them?

M.

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#2 2006-06-11 08:47:25

Tomasso

Re: The Wardrobe as Autobiography.

#3 2006-06-11 09:01:15

Miles Away

Last edited by Miles Away (2006-06-11 09:05:11)

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#4 2006-06-11 09:19:50

Tomasso

#5 2006-06-11 11:18:22

Miles Away

I like the Flusser best.
Mine is Trashable Trad. I'm happy with that.
The T&T Co. is German & they also do cotton Slacks in the same cut for the same price.

I might look at them.

M.

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#6 2006-06-11 11:32:54

Miles Away

I'm a bore, I know, Tomasso -
But what do you like about the Slack?
I can't get enough of them at the moment.

M.

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#7 2006-06-12 08:56:32

Get Smart

very nice approach to a clothes thread, very original

My wardrobe has definitely been autobiographical, having gone through several phases, albeit they have all been related and no drastic departure from one to the next.  For me, my choice in clothes has always had tribal associations when I was younger, and tho I don't presribe to any of these tribes anymore, the influence remains and colors all of my clothing decisions.

Interestingly, I've gone full circle as I'm pretty much back to what I wore in my early 20s, but just better quality versions.

#8 2006-06-12 11:04:07

Miles Away

Last edited by Miles Away (2006-06-12 11:42:54)

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#9 2006-06-12 11:36:47

Get Smart

with age, and a bit more disposable $, I've gotten a lot less closed minded and more clothes-minded (haha bad pun i know) since it doesnt matter to me who makes what, as long as the fit and overall look is something I am interested in.  When I was younger I never would have any interest in, for example, Paul Stuart, whereas now I see items from them that I could see myself wearing (and I could name many more brands as well).  Maybe it's because times have changed and these labels/brands have changed to mirror the times, hence my newfound interest in them, but I'm also certain that not attaching myself to the formerly "approved" labels (and I think nearly everyone prescribes to "approved" labels of some sort whether they admit it or not) has widened my interest in clothes beyond tribal uniforms.

But there's no better teacher than trial and error.

#10 2006-06-12 11:50:13

Miles Away

Agreed again.
I'm still a sucker for my own 'approved' labels - That's what hurts most about the way Brooks has gone!
But I can remember when my labels were Ben Sherman & Fred Perry and my loafers were from Saxone & my Levis were Orange tag slimfits & probably made in Ireland...
If Press make a Slack Jacket I know I'll be buying it (If they make a nice one)!
Different names same goal - Getting "The Look".

Same story now as it was when I was 13.

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

Board footer