You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-16 11:05:49

AQG

Parallel to Ivy

Our tagline in the index says that we're about Classic Traditional American style.  Seems to me there are a number of us here who match this description though we aren't real Ivy sorts.  It also strikes me that there were styles evolving parallel to Ivy.  Some of them have become classics and some have gone bust.

In the 30s, it seems like American style was a little more unified.  After WWII, there was divergence with Ivy taking off as we know it through our colleagues here.  Other style went haywire for a while with the Bold Look but eventually settled down into Continental and Updated American (thanks, Tony V) which in many respects are with us today.  The 70s are a real challenge to properly explain, the 80s less so.

Many of the members here have done a lot of work to chronicle the development of Ivy and Alex Roest is leading the charge to look at its relevance in the present.  Maybe some of us could take a look at those non-Ivy yet traditional and American styles to see how they have evolved and where there has been cross-fertilization?  Perhaps take a broader look at what is now traditional?

#2 2008-09-16 11:41:17

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: Parallel to Ivy

Gets my vote!

'Talk Ivy' is just me doffing my cap to Brownshoe's wit. The forum if it is 'Classic Traditonal American style from all angles' is much more than just 'Ivy' style.

'The American Look' in London before Ivy took over with the Jazz guys was the wide shouldered, loud tie look.

I don't know...

The more we pick apart American style the more words like 'Classic' & 'Traditional' fail us, or so it seems to me.

It's always been about flux & fashion, just  like any other country's style.

Last edited by Russell_Street (2008-09-16 11:42:03)

#3 2008-09-16 14:51:33

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Parallels? Sure! Everything fine with me...

We have to keep in mind that all our attempts at "historical correctness" will always be a construct, no matter how elaborate... (think Fedora Lounge!)

Saying this, I always think that a certain kind of purism can be a  cool confident stance regarding style, satorial or other... (the Curriculum?)

One of the dangers of buying into some (collectively made up) construct, is, however, fooling oneself, when you are buying into a whole lifestyle, which is at odd with the times, and which is reducing you to a uniform... (think AAAT!)

Another danger, nevertheless, lies in expanding the LOOK so far that its become meaningless... a certain relativism... and the tendency to fancy dress... (modculture?)

life is a stage, and our dress is always costume, but there is a good costume, and a bad one... according to your life and your situation... we are free to chose and it's up to us, if we want to break the rules, or bend them, or stick to certain rules, you find pleasant...

Adapt, adopt, improve!

The past is of course always the only reference we have, in order to create things new, or to re-interprete/ "deconstruct" we also need a reference...

I just don't want a watered down version of the LOOK...

who's look? MINE!

>>> You can wear anything you want! Drag Queen? Policeman, Indian, Worker? Fine! There are no rules... so much for philosophy...

you should understand, however, how society works, know your place in life, and try at least, a little bit to know yourself (sociology? or is this about SUSS)... I'm not from Londinium....

So, why do I like this forum? Because I am part of it... I can change its direction and I can contribute, say what I want to, whatever I want to do, wherever I wanna go...

Sometimes you are with me, sometimes you are not...

On the other hand...I think it should not be too difficult for anyone with a little bit of style, to understand what Talk Ivy is all about...to capture the spirit and the sensibilities in the collective vision of our MB... I am not talking about ideas here, not about the "essence"... not the big words...It's more "common sense" or an updated dandyism than some clearly defined aesthetic philosophy or some secret society code...

... like you know, when it got some soul...

Talk Ivy, it seems, is an open platform, open for criticism and open for interpretation of different aspects of "classic and traditional American clothes"... change, progress, fashion are also aspects, we have to consider, if we talk about tradition or use words such as classic... I'totally agree...

The future is in our hands!

on a mission to discover civilization, life, and "to boldly go where no man has gone before"...Trek Ivy...

As all German Simpletons have to quote some weird old philosopher, I will try and paraphrase the crudest of them all, the hoodoo priest of mystical mumbojumbo:

Nietzsche (imagine me like Kevin Kline in Wanda!):

...only that which has no history is definable...

Try and define "Soul Music" or "Jazz" etc...

It's the same with "Ivy" and "Mod" and "The Look"...

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)" Walt Whitman...

just talking to myself... must be the wrong...thread...

Last edited by Hard Bop Hank (2008-09-16 19:55:13)

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#4 2008-09-17 04:48:33

mike

wow Hank, what a great post

You love him? He is hephaistion.

Board footer