You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-17 11:15:21

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

A Farewell To Arms...

... Just put my half-sleeve shirts away for this year.

You?

Best -

jim

#2 2008-09-18 04:41:17

Horace

Re: A Farewell To Arms...

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#3 2008-09-18 04:52:18

Kingstonian

Half sleeves never really get put away - even if warmer items are worn over them.

#4 2008-09-18 06:56:03

Chris_H
Ivy Original

^I often wear a madras h/s shirt under a shetland crew-neck.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hardyandjohnson/

#5 2008-09-18 08:01:39

Brideshead

I asked shortly after joining Modculture whether it was considered OK to wear a h/s polo shirt under a V neck in Winter.  They rounded on me as though I was some kind of prick!  Of course it was OK apparently.

So I reflected on this and decided that it probably is - depending on the colours involved.  Accordingly, although I do put away all other h/s shirts about now, I do still wear the odd polo under a suitable V neck.

I suppose the exception is if I go anywear warmer later in the year (I am popping over to my sister's house in Spain for a week or so next week) when I would expect to take a few half sleeves with me.

#6 2008-09-18 08:52:29

Get Smart

I started putting some away a few weeks ago and only keep the ones hanging I know I will wear under a sweater (vneck or cardigan)

not so much as putting away half sleeves, I'm anxiously awaiting being able to wear long sleeves more comfortably, esp since I've bought about 5 long sleeve merino polos in the past couple months

#7 2008-09-18 09:22:14

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#8 2008-09-18 12:18:52

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Never put them away... The only thing in my wardrobe, I do put away, are my heavy winter coats in spring... I never wear shorts, so there's not much summer stuff that couldn't be used in winter as well... The suits and jackets are all in one closet, anyway...

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#9 2008-09-21 16:55:51

Coolidge

Yeah I don't put my short-sleeves away either.  Most of them are polos and they still get a bit of use.

The only things I really put away are my summer suits and my non-athletic shorts. And by put away I mean in the drawer or, in the case of the suits, in their bags hanging in the closet next to the winter suits...so it's not like they're really away at all.  It's summertime that winter things get wrapped and cedar-balled and put away.

#10 2008-09-21 17:10:25

bandofoutsiders

This topic reminds me of the larger issue (a non-issue for me) of "season appropriate clothing"

I don't put much stock in this.  The weather in Boston can be pretty erratic until the end of October, so somedays I may wear tweed and others poplin.   If I lived in Texas I would have no problem wearing seersucker until November.  As for half-sleeves, I'll wear them under cotton sweaters or casual jackets.  Long-sleeves with wool sweaters though, but only because wool scratches me.

#11 2008-09-21 18:07:38

Coolidge

^ The warm-weather stuff for me stays out longer than the "blatantly summer" stuff.  Thus, the madras and seersucker basically go away after Labor Day. I'd feel weird wearing them in late September.  But the poplin or tropical weight suits stay out as long as it's warm.

Board footer