You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » The Brooks Brothers Monochromatic Look -

#1 2008-10-09 09:54:22

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

The Brooks Brothers Monochromatic Look -

Mike has reminded me of Horace's comment about this look...

- Of how this was The authoritative business look in certain circles.

Anglo inflected & very 'less is more'.

I'd love to know more about this style.

Anybody?

Thanks -

#2 2008-10-09 11:28:53

chetmiles

Re: The Brooks Brothers Monochromatic Look -

I guess the conservative colours showed you were a serious kind of guy and not at all the kind of shock-haired bozo to be found ambling around Washington circa the Cuban crisis...  Have to admit, at my age, dark blue, dark green and grey have kind of taken over.  Russell, was there a similar J.Press look, and is there a connection here to Dexys in '85?  Interesting that you bring in the Anglo inflection, with the Saville Row origins and American east coasters going in for English style as much as we go in for theirs, albeit twisting it around a little.  It's a good look for a job interview, and imagine the satisfaction I had t'other week when I was in updated Brooks (very, very dark blue) with Paul Stuart tie and recruitment bozo is tieless and unshaven...  But it has no meaning in my neck of the woods...  Less is more, yes - Van der Rohe?  If only American tourists abroad were a little more monochromatic...

#3 2008-10-10 01:48:52

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Most of Dexy's kit was from Brooks.

An American will know better than me, but I've always seen Press as more youthful/energetic/whatever than Brooks. More chipper as one ages.

#4 2008-10-10 03:24:03

Horace

I think until Mr. Man's takeover, the very opposite could've been said of Press.  Excepting the few collegiate items they sold.  And the summering kit.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#5 2008-10-10 05:45:28

mike

something about cooler weather and tweeds lead to monochrome and very small patterns, those tweeds with very small designs, tattersall shirts, narrow ribbed cord, pindot ties, i may have the terms wrong but i hope you get the idea - no loud colors except in the smallest amount like a thin yellow stripe in a silk tie or a brown tweed with tiny red flecks - i think of the colors of the woods or forest when the leaves have almost completely fallen - ok so im sentimental today

Last edited by mike (2008-10-10 05:45:42)

You love him? He is hephaistion.

#6 2008-10-10 06:09:38

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#7 2008-10-10 07:33:14

tripchauncey

Chums,

Was the ol monochrome look Anglo influenced?  I always think of the Brits as being braver with colour.  I reckoned that the monochromactic look was a harkening back to near Puritanic conformity.  Company man, eh?  IBM approved uniform.  Like the Japanese "salary man" kit.

I would love to learn more on the Anglo connection.

Cheerio

#8 2008-10-10 08:48:36

chetmiles

Brooks and Press are both a little suspect now, I think, although I have fine examples of both their output.  Vintage finds are always worth having, such as the superb Brooks herringbone topcoat with faded velvet collar I have - pretty monochrome, but you can also just about imagine strolling down Broadway twirling a cane!  Frankly, some of the stuff in the Press catalogues over the past couple of years I could not wear, and I have one with some tosser sporting bum fluff on the front cover, which is very off-putting!

#9 2008-10-10 11:38:49

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#10 2008-10-10 12:23:34

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#11 2008-10-10 12:25:34

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Ain't the Puritan an Anglo thing?

Only an American can tell me.

#12 2008-10-10 12:27:03

Horace

#13 2008-10-10 12:35:29

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Andover is certainly more Euro - So is Stuart.

Brooks I saw as yearning for Albion & Press seemed very American - to me.

... And I do see America as a fun, young, spunky, sparky place.

Like I say... Only my impressions based on where I've come from. Very, very subjective stuff.

Just the Ivy style itself seems like fun to me. Slouchy, sloppy, kicking back style... But only when compared to overly-constructed, tight-assed English style.

- I don't expect many Americans to see this, but I'm cool with that... Your conservatism is my relaxed, good looking fun!

Best -

#14 2008-10-11 03:13:04

chetmiles

What we need here, RS, is a time-machine to whizz us back to the east coast (maybe just in time to catch Anita at Newport), so we can take a really good scout around.  We should try inviting our American friends over and compare face to face notes...

#15 2008-10-11 03:32:28

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Good plan.

#16 2008-10-12 04:37:45

chetmiles

It's strange, RS, and I can't explain why, but I've kind of swung back from Press to Brooks.  I went in the Regent Street store a couple of days after it opened, and the single shirt I bought is still a favourite.  The staff, though, were all at sea with it, and when Ken Lovegrove checked it out and mentioned Ivy they apparently hadn't a clue what he was asking them!  It's vintage Brooks I'm going for now, though, and the older the better: I have two excellent old coats.  The guy with the fluff on the front of the last Press catalogue I set eyes on had me reeling...

#17 2008-10-12 05:11:42

rsmeyer

#18 2008-10-12 05:38:31

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#19 2008-10-13 05:56:26

Matt
Ivy Original.

Good points, all. Illustrates the advantage of a MB like this.

At one time (roughly, when Mr Meyer and I were buying suits at the University Shop in BB), you could go to one US source and do well in any department, if Ivy was your inclination.

Now, you have to first figure out exactly who you are, and then pick and choose from the various sources. Certainly Press, OCLs, and to a point, others.

For example, BB had an ad in the sunday NY Times, attempting to sell the idea that in tough times, a good suit was a good investment. A point well worth pondering. However, the suit pictured was a 3 piece 3/2 roll, but with a significantly suppressed waist that took it out of the category of the "sack" that most of us prefer. Most that post here would have to have the waist significantly altered.

I get the impression that Simons in the UK, falls in the "one source" category. However, now it is necessary to know who you are, and then look selectively. Lots of good stuff here about kindred spirits, and treasures that they have found.

Take a look at the items that Patrick has scored. He knows who he is, and has found priceless treasures, at a song, in the remote corners of Northeastern CT. at thrift  shops, etc.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » The Brooks Brothers Monochromatic Look -

Board footer