You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-18 15:53:25

kenperes

Ultra High Gorge

Building on Graysons excellent take on the need (or lack thereof) for high armholes on every suit, what are your thoughts on the current trend towards very high gorge lines?

#2 2006-06-19 00:15:03

Cruz Diez

Re: Ultra High Gorge

Personally I don't understand all the hype surrounding ultra-high gorges. In particular those which you can barely see from the front view; to me, sometimes  these look ridiculous. As Marc said, it is all about the balance, ultra-high gorges may look good on certain bodies with the right cut but it I think it should never be a default feature. What I prefer is a *long* gorge, which gives more of an elongating effect and is much more pleasant to the eye than a purely high gorge.

#3 2006-06-19 00:30:24

Horace

An interesting discussion here.  And a perfect example, I would think, of the dozen or two shibboleths that get bandied about the forums without any real substance.  Another one is the degree to which "hand work" is necessary or inextricable from a consideration of whether a suit or shirt is good or not, well-made or not.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#4 2006-06-19 00:54:06

Horace

speaking of the "ultra" in the subject title.  I think the lesson is nothing in extremes, eh?  I like the quotation Miles supplied with us.  The one by the tailor of T.S. Eliot:  "Remarkable man, Mr. Eliot.  Everything in moderation."

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#5 2006-06-19 00:58:25

Cruz Diez

Handwork is absolutely necessary in the internal construction of a well-fitted jacket. In trousers to a lesser extent but still desirable . However, in shirt construction, hand stitching is irrelevant with the possible exception of aesthetic features like buttonholes on heavier fabrics where these may actually look good if done right.

Board footer