You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-17 01:32:18

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Bruce Boyer's Coats of Arms -

http://www.winespectator.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Show_Article/0,2322,509,00.html

#2 2008-10-18 01:30:07

shuman

Re: Bruce Boyer's Coats of Arms -

Beautiful article. Thanks for posting.

Myself, I wear the Duffle and the Polo Coat mostly. Dont own a Chesterfield. Seems a bit fussy for my tastes. Too Wall Street tycoon, in my mind.

#3 2008-10-18 07:57:21

rsmeyer

#4 2022-05-20 03:39:36

AFS

A reference here to the Polo Coat, an item of clothing I often see guys wearing in the 30s and 40s Hollywood movies my wife and I watch endlessly.  Almost always in black and white, though.  The belted trench-coat is probably seen more often - e.g. Fred lends Ginger his Burberrys' in 'The Gay Divorcee' after her skirt has been ripped.  I'd like a Polo Coat in theory but have not yet summoned up the energy to go trawling Ebay Com.  My guess is, it would cost an arm and a leg.  No-one on 'Talk Ivy' presently favours them, do they?  Too much of an association with Chens, his pipe, golf swings etc. for the average uptight Englishman to feel quite comfortable.
Let me know if you feel differently.

#5 2022-05-20 04:28:01

Spendthrift

I like the look of them on other people (admittedly usualy in old film or tv). When worn appropriately. In my head I see them with a wider trouser and turn ups. Not a look I would do justice to I think.

Re Chens; I would worry that a Polo Coat would serve as a gateway drug to much harder stuff. I wouldn't want to find myself in six months time stalking around in the woods like Edgar Allen Poe

Last edited by Spendthrift (2022-05-20 04:39:47)

#6 2022-05-20 05:08:37

AFS

Of course you rarely see a male, however humble his station in life, be he black or white, without his tie firmly knotted. 
In fact, I think a better balance could be achieved than wide trousers with turn-ups.  How about a navy or charcoal polo or turtle neck sweater with well-cut cords of a slightly different colour?  Footwear might be trickier.  A PTB might do it.

#7 2022-05-20 05:26:34

Spendthrift

Yeah. You could be right there. Avoid the Duke of Windsor look.

Sturdy shoe definitely. Brown. Brogues? Maybe those elusive grey or navy flannels.

#8 2022-05-20 05:37:07

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

RL still make them but have screwed up the design by making them above the knee length and adding a strange flap pocket on the chest. I looked for a polo coat for years without success on eBay and in various vintage shops in London and the US. I came very close in a place in East Village that had a good one for sale but by the time I had deliberated and gone back the next day it was gone. Apart from the usual issues of fit etc, the problem with polo coats is that being a light colour they don’t stand up to the ravages of time as well as most overcoats. The cloth doesn’t wear particularly well and seems to be specially attractive to moths. It’s rare to see a good second hand one on sale so great caution has to be exercised. Eventually I saw one advertised on eBay, the wrong size but comms with the seller revealed that he lived just up the road in Chiswick and had several for sale. So I was able to visit him and try on several before selecting the one that suited me best before money changed hands. I don’t why he had so many, I think he just liked them and bought them on trips to the US.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#9 2022-05-20 05:56:35

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Another of those garments that is difficult to pull off in the UK. Like the Mick Jagger suit it needs to be worn very casually. Smart trousers or jacket will immediately make you look stuffy and awkward. Denim jeans, converse sneakers or trainers, preferably with the coat worn open or tied carelessly with the belt if it has one, maybe longwings. Think of Bruce Dern in The King of Marvin Gardens running across the sands of Atlantic City with polo coat flapping in the wind. He wears the coat for most of the outdoor scenes in the the film, generally thrown on over what he was wearing in his hotel room. The other main part is played by Jack Nicholson who wears a single breasted camel coat with a suit, collar and tie to emphasise his reserved careful nature in contrast to Dern’s flamboyant, spontaneous character.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#10 2022-05-20 06:06:09

Spendthrift

I don't mind the length so much. That flap chest pocket is bad though.

I suppose there's a big difference between the original intention - standing around waiting for your turn on the polo field, and wearing them around town on a grubby day. So it makes sense that remaining ones haven't aged well.

#11 2022-05-20 07:30:48

AFS

Yes, I tend to wear my Grenfell and Invertere coats with Levis and, say, Nicholas Deakin suede boots or Astorflex desert boots.  One would not want to appear too 'affluent' in the market towns around here lest an invitation to the Hunt Ball was proffered by some posh totty. 
I'm ashamed to say that my elder daughter and her husband tend to hob-nob with chaps called Crispin.  One or two own big boy gadgets like helicopters. 
As The Laird Of Enfield might have said, Ah dinnae like 'em.

Board footer