#351 2010-04-14 09:09:26

jesmond
Ivy Genius

Re: Quality of Crepes

#352 2010-04-14 10:08:15

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

BTW, any ideas when JS started selling the Playboy style for the first time? Back in the day, during the Boom Years in the old Ivy Shop, or later in the 80s at JS?

I keep wondering about these things... When did he get the Paraboots, too?

I think I read somewhere that there were only 3 or 4 basic styles of shoes in the Ivy Shop in the 60s... Dunno where it was, but I think the shoes that were mentioned were Longwings, Plain Toe Bluchers, Penny Loafers and the mysterious American Split-Toe Gibsons (probably Florsheims?)... Somewhere else, though, I've read that there was a wide variety of loafers...

Maybe that is a question for Gibson Gardens and the Politburo...

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#353 2010-04-14 10:17:12

Gibson Gardens
Ivy Author

HBH - I'll put it to the Politburo.

g.g.

#354 2010-04-14 10:24:21

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Thank you very much!

“No Room For Squares”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#355 2010-04-14 10:50:12

Gibson Gardens
Ivy Author

A response from JS :

"Give my best to Hard Bop in fact the first time i sold playboys was in 1955 while working for Cecil Gee. The paraboots were about 1983 including red and olive green. The split toe gibson were made by a number of english makers for export to the U S A . Repeat the chorus and solo at will.
J S"

g.g.

#356 2010-04-14 11:44:13

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Impressed!

If we can ask sensible questions, would Mr. Simons mind answering from time to time?

Thanks -

#357 2010-04-14 22:14:26

mookeychase

Hello guys I've been following you guys all week and I must say I'm very very much impressed with the info you guys have about the shoe, the origin the stars who used to wear them and the update on them. I'm one of those hip-hop British Walker lovin dudes you guys spoke about(weej&66) but I have become a real Playboy fiend thanx to my two friends who I'll surely turn on to this site,well one has been turned on already. I found this forum from a link posted on the British Walker forum from inthe80s.com last year when a few dudes where talkin about Playboys and how much they cost to ship here in the states(the original ones now in Denmark) $415.00 incl. shipping. A few of us are Playboy freaks but not like you guys a few own George cox and Sanders but I was very surprised when I saw the Davanzatis come up. I traded my friend a pair for a piar of 80s British Walkers he happens to own Sanders also he said they had the same number & box along with them being a tad bit less comfy then Sanders they were like the same shoe and he wouldnt be surprised to find they were made by Sanders. I turned him on to the site and let him know his suspicions were dead on so he like me has been following all week. He also showed me pics of McQueen and those beautiful tobacco PBs he wore. I love the shoes you guys have posted here especially 66's Clubman Eatons but I wanted to let you guys know that of the cheap PBs like GBX and RJ Colt and Stacy Adams,RJ makes the best shoe and I find it very comfortable and for the money you cant beat it. I also purchased a pair of Sand colored today like Weej did and you're right with the $30 shipping you still get a good shoe. Well sorry for the loong intro I guess thats the weeks worth of post all at once I will post a pic of the 80s British Walkers the ones you guys saw are the 2005 edition and they are terrible with that said if any of you guys see these shoes anywhere(80s version) please dont hesitate to inform me. I will continue to look and learn from you guys and maybe post here and there but Im waay out of my league when it comes to you cats.Thanx, Mookeychase

Last edited by mookeychase (2010-04-14 22:27:00)

#358 2010-04-15 02:49:40

1,966% Ivy

#359 2010-04-15 05:00:51

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”

#360 2010-04-16 16:02:19

mookeychase

Thanx for the welcome 6, I will post the pics as soon as I figure how to upload from my hard drive. the original company that made British Walkers really called "Britisher's" was a company in Greece called Palladdio they gave up in the 80s as they started making the toe pointed like a Sanders I assume givin it a dressy look opposed to the casual square toe, but they succeeded in killin the shoe. Then in 1996 rapper Fat Joe and Jew Man a world famous Mom& Pop store owner in the South Bronx got hold of the name and again had them manufactured in Greece but not by Palladdios. The run they had lasted about 3 years with many people still not aware of the resurgence.In 2005 Samsung America managed to get the rights to the name Original Britisher's and Broke every BW lovers heart with that shoe you guys saw, which caused them to lose lots of money. I believe the guy in charge opted to save rather pocket,money by not using leather like on the original shoes,the store on 36th & 8th in Manhattan Mikes shoe warehouse same store with the pics of the GBX RJ and the Sanders Playboys on the table owner gave the Samsung rep a deadstock 80s British Walker as a model and he came up with that horrendous shoe with the Brown leather trim on em all, we've been fighting to get them to mske the correct shoe for the last year and the guy promised us a shoe by december but we're still waiting. Well anyway just thought I'd shed a little history on the BWs def not trying to turn this into a British Walker forum guys. Well 6, I'll get right on this thing and post the pics and linx,thanx for puttin up with me as you can see from the BW forum we turned that into an 80s clothing forum with a primary emphasis on Britisher's. Later 6

#361 2010-04-16 23:34:07

shamrockmonkey

East Coast!

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#362 2010-04-17 10:15:59

TheWeejun

Sanders website is updated. No photos but looks like you can actually buy the playboys and dirty bucks now.

http://www.sanders-uk.com/categories/Casual-11.php

Thank god for that.

Pointer Products still have not managed to deliver me a pair of boots since ordering THREE weeks ago. Constant promises of delivery, I wait at home, nothing arrives 'let me look into it' type responses, with no actual answers. On Monday they promised them by Thursday. Nothing. It's irrelevant that they are cheaper on Pointer site if they don't actually stock them and don't actually deliver. (of course they took money from card weeks ago).

Perhaps the worst customer service I've had in years online. A true British Tradition, that.

"Mr. Weejun is a beast." 1966
www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#363 2010-04-17 16:22:52

mookeychase

Hey Weej I saw you say you're tight with the dude that bought the rights to the Clubman Eaton Playboys whats the chances of that guy bringing the shoe 6 posted? Did you buy them well it doesnt really matter how you got them but do you still have em and how do they feel? How about the E.T. Wrights how old are they and the Barkers? Well like I said Iam a novice so I got lots of questions and "I wonders" in my mind and I didnt know so many companies made PBs I too am fascinated by vintage products as they were made so much better than todays goods,made to be cost efficient not consumer efficient.

#364 2010-04-20 04:23:03

rhonda

actually fancy suits are very expensive but they are the different and unique designs thats why they are expensive

#365 2010-04-20 04:56:44

TheWeejun

www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#366 2010-04-20 18:11:46

mookeychase

I hear you Weej, Thats how I feel about the Britishers(British Walkers) Samsung America holds the rights my friend with the Sanders and the Davanzatis gave them a couple shoes so they could make the correct shoe they supposedly made a few samples back in September but as of today nuthin. This guy knows he has a guy, the same guy's store with the table full of Playboys, that can sell 1000 pair a week for a few weeks but he just wont make the shoe. These guys gotta know there is a large market for these vintage items and with the proper promotion which would be simply gettin the word out, they could make a grip. The Sanders people do deserve credit for sticking around citi shoes in NY called  sells them regularly along with Mikes shoe Plaza 212-921-8218. My Sand colored RJs came yesterday I paid the guy Friday night he shipped em off Saturday Morning and I got em Monday def 5* service, the color is a little closer to Tan than Beige but they look real nice put em on with my tan suede front Cardigan(80s of course) today gotta lotta comps on the unique color.Well Weej keep us up on the status of the Clubmans or Huttons, by the way Weej which ones would you & 66 prefer to see back? Later Dude

#367 2010-04-20 23:57:39

TheWeejun

I think I'd prefer to see them under the Huttons Originals name (can't be Original Playboys though as the Danish own that name) and with the leather welt strip.

Glad to hear your Colts arrived. I don't expect mine anytime soon with all the flights trouble last week!

www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#368 2010-04-21 18:09:58

mookeychase

I just wanted to know if anybody knows who made the original split-toe Playboy and does the RJ version look anything like it?

#369 2010-04-22 10:01:36

1,966% Ivy

#370 2010-04-22 14:07:49

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#371 2010-04-23 08:06:53

Tomiskinky

The RJ Colts that Weejun put up the ebay link for, am I right to think this will be in US sizing, and need to size down 1 for UK fitting? A US 10 being a UK 9?
What is the fit like on these, I am tempted to get my business partner a pair for his birthday, he's just had a second child, and is skint, but keeps saying how much he likes the playboys... Can't afford Cox's or Sander for him.

#372 2010-04-23 09:49:22

TheWeejun

Tomis general rule of thumb is 1/2 size down but these look wide fit. I'm normally 9.5 UK so bought 10. For a 9 I'd go for 9.5 in them.

www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#373 2010-04-23 10:12:08

TheWeejun

www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#374 2010-04-23 10:46:52

TheWeejun

www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#375 2010-04-23 11:06:17

Klook

Fantastic find, F&W.
Available now presumably, but somehow no more accessible to us than the pairs Austins sold in 1957. On one level that's infuriating, but it's actually quite reassuring that not absolutely everything can be ordered in an instant.

Board footer