You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-04 11:33:13

Miles Away

On having a hairy Harris -

Most CAD/Trad dressers of a certain age will have a hairy Harris by now. Maybe they didn't plan it that way, but it just happened.
They do vary I think...
Over time I've noticed Harrises (sp?) of varying degrees of hairiness. Does wear & tear rub off the hair? Probably.
Shaving your Harris would be wrong. The bald spots, if any, should be natural. Nobody likes a fake.
It's all a part of that 'Henry Higgins' charm that comes with wearing a wooly one.
Can I ask forum members to measure the length of the hair on their Harrises?
I'll start - the longest hair I have on my Harris is 2mm. Not much, but this thread will only work if we all tell the truth (use a phoney name if you must or PM me).
Over to you - How hairy is your Harris?

Miles.

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#2 2006-07-06 01:13:52

Miles Away

Re: On having a hairy Harris -

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#3 2006-07-06 05:54:29

Miles Away

Tweed 101. That's really good input, Marc - Thanks again.
M.

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#4 2006-07-07 04:42:02

Horace

I haven't measured my Harris, but I think it's under control. 

I usually leave it hanging -- letting it air out -- then give it a good stiff brushing.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#5 2006-07-07 06:07:15

Miles Away

Wasn't there once a thing called a 'Dandy Brush' or something? Made of straw for giving tweeds a good stiff brushing to get the mud off?
Do that & then hang the tweeds in the bathroom as you take a tub to get any creases out. Just let the steam in the room do the work for you.
Then, overnight, hang them somewhere cool for them to dry out and spring back to normal. Maybe the Game Pantry would be best (All those hooks in the ceiling).

This is the great thing about tweed, it can take a lot of punishment and still look good.

The more Harris is beaten the better it is in my book.

Miles.

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#6 2006-07-10 00:01:40

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#7 2006-07-10 00:32:20

Miles Away

The Dandy Brush gets a mention by Paul Keers. It was an Edwardian invention, I think.
Kent for brushes and combs every time... Although ladies should use an old Mason-Pearson.

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#8 2006-07-10 14:18:24

Horace

#9 2006-07-11 01:37:52

Miles Away

Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#10 2006-07-12 11:58:48

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

My father had a beautiful harris tweed suit. It was quite "hairy" and was beautiful bc though it had a burnt siena background color it had strains of many different colors in it. Not flecks like Donegal has but veins of bright colors in powder blue, green, yellow and orange. He loved wearing that suit on sundays with the Cashmere neckties he used to have H.Herzfeld make from Harrison's of Edinburgh swatches of rep striped cashmere in proper tie weights. He topped it off with a chocolate trillby and pebble grained chukkas in a dark brown with a dark brown braided leather belt. Curiously, though he liked viyella shirts, he would only wear them in solid colors like blue and cream.

I could never have one as Im am too hard on pants and it wouldnt last two wearings. Thats why i have this donegal tweed suit which will outlast all of us.

Board footer