You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-07 15:01:39

bcjohn

Oxxford Gibbons Suit on Ebay

Several months ago I tried on an Oxxford Gibbons 2B suit at Barneys in NYC.  I really liked the suit and the fit.  The problem, however, was that the cost of the suit was well over $2,000, which is/was well over my budget.  Currently listed on ebay is an Oxxford Gibbons suit in navy that is "NWT," in the ebay parlance.  The suit looks almost identical to the suit I tried on at Barneys.  The ebay suit costs $600.  Is it possible that this is the same, or similar, suit.  Should I be (very) cautious or even stay away completely?  It almost sounds too good to be true.  It might be a GREAT deal.  On the other hand, I do not want to waste $600.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

#2 2006-07-07 15:33:49

Tomasso

Re: Oxxford Gibbons Suit on Ebay

Ebay is an excellent source for Oxxford RTW, if you're educated as to model/cut, size and fabric. Brioni, Kiton and other top RTW makers are available at deep discounts as well.

Last edited by Tomasso (2006-07-07 15:34:27)

#3 2006-07-12 17:20:00

Novaguy

was it a from emanuelclassycloset (sic)?  i just bought an oxxford, for barney's, from them.  it arrived in brand new condition, will go to the tailor sometime before the end of the summer.

#4 2006-07-13 09:01:46

bcjohn

Yes,  it was.  Where you satisfied that the suit was as described when you recieved it from Emmanuael's Closet?  Thanks.

#5 2006-07-13 14:55:16

Novaguy

so far, with the quick once over, it looked good.  no problems, afaik. 

i bought the solid navy 42L.

#6 2006-07-18 13:55:52

bcjohn

Do you know if this is the same suit Barneys sold for $2200, plus.  It almost seems to good to be true.

#7 2006-07-22 12:00:42

Novaguy

i don't know what's being sold in barney's (i'm in northern virginia, not nyc), but i do know that oxxford makes one level of suit and the suit i have is an oxxford.  it matches all of the other oxxfords i've seen in filene's basement in d.c. 

it is fully canvassed, according to my poor executed pinch test, and it is partially lined, a classic oxxford signature which is very difficult to fake.   the pants are done in the oxxford style - the no waistband thing (somebody else can describe this better).  too many details are right, no details that i can see are wrong.

Board footer