#1 2006-07-11 08:07:22

tripchauncey

AHAT: Can you be Trad...

and live in New Jersey?

#2 2006-07-11 10:08:33

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Re: AHAT: Can you be Trad...

Of course you can, some of the tradliest towns are in Northern NJ.

#3 2006-07-11 11:54:34

sweetbooness2

Of course seconded.....

Look at Harris, a trad icon on AAAC, though recently absent. Isn't he a New Jersey resident? The style may have been born in the Northeast, but there are regional variations. One of the biggest fallouts on AAAC continues to be a recent thread regarding Trad, and its Southern offspring. Are the darted/pleated Southerners to be banished, or is the tent big enough for all?

Last edited by sweetbooness2 (2006-07-11 11:55:23)

#4 2006-07-11 12:14:20

sweetbooness2

What is trad in New Haven is not necessarily trad in Charleston,  or Birmingham, though they spring from the same philosophical branch.

#5 2006-07-12 04:13:10

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#6 2006-07-12 06:54:14

Miles Away

Am I alone in worrying about 'Harris'?
Now that I'm back on AAAC under 3 new names, all my efforts seem... well, ... to be honest, silly; now that he's not there.
'Harris' could well be in hospital while we are all lounging around cracking jokes...
Hate to say it, but probably he is.
I see him as Winona Ryder in 'Girl Interrupted'.
Let the 'Trad' wars end.
'Man down'.
And what a loss.

Miles.

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#7 2006-07-12 07:28:03

Coolidge

Last edited by Coolidge (2006-07-12 07:28:46)

#8 2006-07-12 08:13:41

Afro Saxon

New Jersey's reputation is certainly most un-Trad but Northern NJ has many towns one could consider Trad, just not as Trad as CT.

I keep hearing comment on whether darts and pleats are Trad. My opinion on the matter and Trad in general has been expressed by others on the forums previosly.
My question is, what is this need to expand what is under the umbrella of Trad? Couldn't the darted and pleated, or southern crowds assume a different name for their styles?

Last edited by Afro Saxon (2006-07-12 08:23:21)

#9 2006-07-12 08:51:06

Miles Away

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#10 2006-07-12 09:27:10

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

My mother once told me that it was Western man's disease to place labels on everything and control their environment. Part of why I  enjoy writing about clothing is to sort out what elements go with what. This is not easy because I seem to like an awful lot of clothing styles/designs. I also find that as soon I try to "box" an item, it slips into another category or that what i think of as Neapolitan, someone else thinks of as veddy Briddish.

It doesnt help that some genres are influenced by others to a greater degree than one might expect. I dont think its an accident that the Neapolitan look and the Trad look seem to have similar qualities about them and that they seem to have developed both on their own in a parallel fashion for similar lifestyle aspirations and also because the nationality of the tailors of Trad seems to have been primarily the wearers of the Neapolitan look.

It therefore stands to reason that Trad would be explored and that there would be overlaps or misdirections as with any other experiment. 

It is interesting that men of the 30s-60s, who were not part of the fashion industry, have not left us any idea of how they felt about clothes, or indeed whether they thought about them at all. It wouldve been fascinating to have heard their thougths on a forum.

#11 2006-07-14 18:37:37

tripchauncey

#12 2006-07-14 18:53:50

Marc Grayson

"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

Board footer