You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-04 01:29:49

chetmiles

How I Learned to Hate the Harrington

Sometimes, especially on these chilly spring days, I will slip into my McGregor Anti-Freeze, with its fleecy lining; or the pale yellow Drizzler, which looks good with chinos; and some older guy will ask me: "Is that a Harrington"? 
It's perhaps not the garment itself I've come to dislike so much, but the marketing of it: worn by everybody from Socrates to Barak Obama's tasty but irritating missus...  The Sinatra/Presley/McQueen connections seem especially pathetic.  Eric Clapton looked great in his, when it still could be accepted as Ivy style, but some of the names, some of the images projected since - up to and including that plonker calling someone in J.Simons 'son' - render it suspect in my eyes. 
Some of the other stuff Baracuta are putting out now - now they've 're-discovered' themselves - are really nasty: 'Man at C&A' or what?  It's finished.

#2 2009-04-04 01:38:49

ScarletStreet

Re: How I Learned to Hate the Harrington

Maybe this thought is more specific to the UK. It's not seen all that often here in the United States. At least not in the area of the country I live in. In fact the only people besides myself I've ever seen wearing one were the ska kids around here. I think it's interesting to see the different brands and items that take on specific meanings depending on the wearer's location.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it." -- H.L. Mencken

#3 2009-04-04 01:45:28

chetmiles

Agreed, ScarletStreet, agreed.  In fact, it's not seen all that often in this part of the UK, either, having been superseded by the 'casual' look gone sloppy.

#4 2009-04-04 01:49:22

chetmiles

Just do a quick search for 'Harrington jacket' on Ebay.  What a joke!

#5 2009-04-04 01:58:39

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I think the G4 style is the way to go now in the UK (depending on where you are). the Bramble remains a lovely jacket but other G9s, Baracuta included, have certainly changed in 'meaning' since Clapton wore his.

The old Brooks Bros. Golf Jacket with the external button-down flap pocket on the chest still stands out I think as a G9 style which is beyond the other by now rather downmarket versions (even the expensive 'downmarket' versions!). I got one last year from a pal & I think The Weejun has one too. They're worth looking out for I think on ebay - Do a search on 'Golf Jackets' & you may be in luck.

#6 2009-04-04 02:47:12

Kingstonian

I like them - especially the cheap copies. It is a simple classic. It is not as though everybody in the UK is wearing them either.

All you have to do is avoid black ones which have too many associations with teenage tribes.

I like a fitted blouson bottom. The G4 suggests 'portly'  and 'elderly'. Stone and natural are close to 'beige' which is a pensioner colour.

#7 2009-04-04 05:02:48

chetmiles

Fair comment, Kingstonian.  At least the cheap copies don't carry a daft price tag - and I don't recall the last time I saw anyone wearing one.  The last guy I saw buying one was an Italian in J.Simons last summer: telling Jeff and Ken they were cheaper there than in Rome.  (I've never seen anyone in Rome wearing one, either). 
I'd quite like to get a look at Russell modelling his G4, just to get an idea of the fit (I suspect the lad is less 'portly' than I, however!).  Stone and natural I didn't mind too much; but if anyone can post pictures of one in, say, Prince of Wales check I reckon Staceyboy and self would be interested.

#8 2009-04-04 05:52:54

Kingstonian

I did actually start looking at Harringtons as an alternative to ridiculously-priced tops to play golf in. I did not need Goretex Proquip, Galvin Green or Sunderland stuff. I do not mind getting soaked occasionally. That's why you bring a change of clothes.

Prince of Wales and Houndstooth are nice on a Harrington.

I do not like the use of the Harrington description for any zip top jacket, as exemplified one year by Marks & Spencer.

#9 2009-04-04 09:19:45

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#10 2009-04-04 09:22:14

chetmiles

Judging by your piccies, you're adorable!

#11 2009-04-04 09:35:44

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#12 2009-04-04 09:37:12

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#13 2009-04-04 09:56:40

chetmiles

To be honest, it's the hair, the cut.  Having little left and of a wiry texture the Kennedy look has never been for me!  Even the 8-4-2 is now becoming difficult.  Wash it and it fluffs, leaving me looking like Stan Laurel when I'd prefer Gerry Mulligan.  Any idea how he achieved that?

#14 2009-04-04 09:57:27

Tony Ventresca

#15 2009-04-05 02:11:00

Kingstonian

#16 2009-04-05 02:31:19

chetmiles

Kingstonian has a point here - although everyone in my town seems to live in sports wear and trainers!

#17 2009-04-05 03:48:54

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Indeed a very good point from Kingstonian.

#18 2009-04-05 04:08:19

chetmiles

Horrid how the notion big, big lettering is the thing has taken over: big fat wheezing 10 pint a night men in Russell Athletic, Fred Perry everywhere - names, names.  Not so much snide Burberry about, but Bench still rules the streets here.  I see the occasional pair of decent shoes, usually on older men who like malt whisky.

#19 2009-04-07 04:44:09

Mr. Eclectic

Although I'd like to think that at least I'm doing my thing and I don't care about others, the fact that every hipster/trendy-boy is wearing one is keeping me away. I opt for the James Dean alternative, ie same basic cut, but point collar instead of the classic harrington.

#20 2009-04-07 05:05:18

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy

I get the point that "familiarity breeds contempt", but the other night as i was driving up my street i saw a guy in his late 50's in a black "Harrington". Now the guy was wearing non-descript clothing apart from the "Harrington". Now I have a couple of G9's (not black by the way. One is the very light "ice" blue, and one a brown stripey job on a white background) I got to thinking that the G9's I wear AND what i wear them with is what makes the difference. It bears no resemblance to the guy I saw, it bears no resemblance to a fat chav ex skin or mod revivalist now reviving his revival days!!!!! (though guilty of being involved in said revival) except in the look of the jacket. But the jacket is only part of the whole picture and its the WHOLE picture that counts. The "Harrington" didn't start life as an Iconic jacket, it served a purpose, it then got subverted and took on other connatations (cool, Ivy etc) that then got subverted by the Skins, then subverted again by the chav classes, hey i say lets subvert it again back to classic,  subvert the subversion!!

When teamed with the right clothes and (maybe?) worn with the right attitude then I think it is what I want it to be, a classic garment.

PK

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#21 2009-04-07 05:10:20

Alex Roest

#22 2009-04-07 05:12:14

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy

By the way, a few weeks ago I posted on here about what the difference was between a "original" fit G9 and the "vintage" fit G9? I actually emailed Baracuta at that time, but guess what? I got no reply. So their lack of customer relations will probably put me off buying another one more than the ubiquity of the jacket.

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#23 2009-04-07 05:22:44

chetmiles

My guess is they provide regular bread and butter for J.Simons - any casual punter can drop in and fork out if that's what he wants.  Getting hold of the 'right' one is going to be the problem for anyone who still wants the 100 per cent authentic Baracuta - as the Prof is inferring, I guess...  I stuck one on Ebay for 1p, simply because I thought it was shite - and someone happily bought it for £30-odd - made in Rumania, daft little tag on the pocket etc. etc.  Furthermore, if anything is going to put me off it's the idea of that wanker Doherty wearing one.  All a shame, because it's been a smart jacket in its time.  I'd urge anyone who wants a bit of a change, though, to track down the old McGregor Anti-Freeze, with the fleecy lining.  Generous fit, so you can get a jumper and scarf under it in the winter.

#24 2009-04-07 05:42:45

michael-j

#25 2009-04-07 06:12:47

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

McGregor is much more "in-the know". Agreed.

Board footer