You are not logged in.

#101 2010-10-20 12:34:00

Sowtondevil

Re: How I Learned to Hate the Harrington

For what it's worth, I have glanced across at 'Harrington' jackets hanging on the racks in a succession of John Simon's shops since the mid-1960's and never been in the slightest tempted to even try one on.  It puzzles me how Ivy advocates are attracted to its design.  To me, there is no congruence between Ivy style and the Harrington.  It always struck me as an invader in the Ivy world.  I took a close inspection last week of a current Baracuta version only to find it reinforced my long held view. It will not be found in my wardrobe and never on my shoulders.

#102 2010-10-23 18:40:08

shamrockmonkey

originally they looked like members only jackets to me. its grown on me though, something which rarely happens.

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#103 2010-10-24 11:23:39

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy

Just seen a bloke in my local Blockbuster in a cheapo black one, its sights like him that make me see where RRP is coming from.......but I still think the right colour or pattern and teamed with the right clothing and it can still look pretty good. Its not my favourite piece of clothing, but is functional and I still like the right one. Its still more to do with how the whole ensemble is put together.

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#104 2010-10-26 15:34:23

Rip Rig & Panic

#105 2010-11-03 20:16:51

Tubal

#106 2021-12-26 07:49:05

A Fine Sadness

I imagined - or perhaps it was a nightmare - that I'd given this some thought and had a change of heart.  Not so.  All over Ebay - Harrington, Harrington, Harrington - even Harringhton - which made my wife laugh as her maiden name was Harrington (Irish, family originally from Cork: Derbyshire via Liverpool).  As for Baracuta - no, except for some of their old rainwear, which resembles Dhobi so much I wonder if Dhobi and Baracuta shared the same Lancashire premises. 
Even the 'old school' G9s seem to have lost all credibility: done to death by that vile 'skinhead classic' imagery.

#107 2021-12-27 03:50:11

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Despite the casuals association, I prefer the Burberry’s (not Burberry) Harrington, it’s more of a G4 cut so strictly speaking it’s probably not a proper Harrington anyway, but that’s how they are described on eBay. The ones I like are a straight cut, no elastic on the bottom, they have side adjusters and a throat latch which is buttoned out of sight under the collar (these are often missing), no logos etc. They are a really good quality garment, Made in the UK at the time, I think they stopped doing them in the 80s or 90s . The check lining is more low key than Baracuta jackets so easier to wear without clash. I’ve got a good navy blue one and I trawl the Bay occasionally in the hope of finding a decent one in beige, but when they do turn up even quite shabby examples go for a lot of money.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#108 2021-12-28 03:08:41

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

These are just golf jackets, no?

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#109 2021-12-28 03:25:52

RobbieB

Say what you like about the Harrington but it probably kept J Simons in business.
I agree with an earlier poster re context. It all depends on what you wear the jacket with. I have one from the Covent Garden shop and another from my favourite shop TKMaxx. My most worn one is a Katharine Hamnett made in England Egyptian cotton rare number.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#110 2021-12-28 03:27:07

A Fine Sadness

Well: no.  They used to be - then they became something else.  I don't know the history of the G9 (or the G4), of Baracuta or McGregor (or any other manufacturer, either in England or in the United States), who did it first, second etc.  But once a harmless 'golf jacket' became 'the Harrington' it was only a matter of time before McQueen or Sinatra found themselves toppled by the boot boys in their army stores knock-offs.  We all know this.  Didn't stop me from wearing them in natural or navy years ago (that Van Heusen example was on my back once upon a time, worn with Levis and Weejuns), but I then switched to McGregor Drizzlers and other zip-up jackets. 
Baracuta now have a very bad name, but an awful lot of manufacturers have turned out what they routinely refer to as a 'Harrington jacket'.  Maybe they're losing that awful football hooligan reputation now.  Then again - looking at Ebay and Baracuta - maybe not.

#111 2021-12-28 03:46:49

A Fine Sadness

The King Louie Pro-Plus cotton, Made In The USA, with check lining I bought for £15 a day or so before Christmas will not, hopefully, pass as a 'Harrington' at all, but as a slightly bland, natural-coloured zip-up jacket: the kind of item you might buy from a halfway decent 'vintage Americana' shop.  I would not now consider Baracuta as an alternative.  A local charity shop was trying to flog one of their modern coats for £35 just the other week.  I also saw something in the early autumn that was not overpriced but very much 'Man At C&A' - worse even than the Hong Kong-made Farah job that Doghouse or Sammy Ambrose (can't think which) had a good snigger over.

#112 2021-12-28 03:56:44

RobbieB

The Italian owners seem to be able to charge eye-watering prices for Baracuta. Someone must be buying their products  No one on here, I imagine. Maybe Bologna is full of geezers on scooters wearing Harringtons .

Last edited by RobbieB (2021-12-28 03:57:36)

#113 2021-12-28 03:59:51

RobbieB

Before the brand was sold I remember some of the products such as polo shirts were really cheap nasty looking things with a prominent ugly logo.

#114 2021-12-28 04:16:04

Spendthrift

Big fan of the Baracuta harrington here. Have been for 30 odd years. As RobbieB says, it’s not the item but what you wear with it.
If you put a beige one with khakis and brown shoes, you’re going to come across like a pensioner.
A burgundy with sta press and db’s. You’re a mod.
Pair it with rolled jeans and DM’s, it’s skinhead.
Jeans and JD footwear. Football casual.
In fact I’d say in most contexts the jacket is the last thing anyone on the street is going to base any assumptions about you on. If they cared to.
If I put a navy with chinos and CVOs in spring I’m happy.
If it’s colder, with knitwear, jeans, loafers and newsboy.
I’ve got a few, including old and modern MiE’s. Barely any difference in my eyes. But I’d be interested if someone who knows more than me would point them out?
I’ve got one problem with them. The completely ridiculous and unjustified price tag put on them these days. But who here has ever paid that? Not many I’d bet.

Last edited by Spendthrift (2021-12-28 09:51:05)

#115 2021-12-28 04:19:21

A Fine Sadness

I didn't realise the owners were Italian.  I wonder if they're anything to do with Boggi?  I think their clothing was - or is - made in Rumania. 
Baracuta and Dhobi (possibly others) originated (from what I know) in North Manchester or possibly Oldham.  You'll sometimes see 'Baracuta' reading as 'Barracuda'.  No idea what the former means.  Has anyone?

#116 2021-12-28 04:22:53

A Fine Sadness

Do the rarer versions ever crop up online?  Olive rings a loud bell as a rare colour.  Possibly POW check.  The price is pretty high, certainly, but, hey, if you want to look like Steve McQueen...

#117 2021-12-28 04:25:21

A Fine Sadness

I love 'Baracuta: England'.  Not 'Made In England'.

#118 2021-12-28 04:26:43

Spendthrift

And yes. Like everyone else they did jump into ‘stick a logo on it’ territory.
Bucket hats, ties, polos. They did the lot. Rather than just stick to their thing.
I hate that. Timex make good watches. I don’t want Timex socks. I want them to stick to what they’re respected for.
Levi trainers. Fred Perry bags. Lambretta shower gel. If everyone kept in their corner there’d be a bigger share for them and as consumers we’d be much better served.

#119 2021-12-28 04:33:53

A Fine Sadness

^ Agree: whole-heartedly.  It's become a major problem - though not, I don't suppose, a new one as I remember my twice-married daughter wearing her little work wear Osh Kosh dungarees circa 1990. 
It seems the chaps who founded Baracuta were turning out high end rainwear during the 1930s: luxury items.  Seems to have evolved into rain/golf wear exclusively.
But I also remember stealing my late father's Ralph Lauren aftershave.

#120 2021-12-28 05:08:19

Runninggeez

I have a Field & Stream Harrington style jacket in green, purchased from Russell St many moons ago in the sale for around £40. It's pretty much a copy of a Baracuta even down to the lining.

#121 2021-12-28 08:04:14

Jdemy

I wore this type of jacket all through high school. Didn’t know it had a name. We called it “Dad’s golf jacket?? —- I never had a single one bought specifically for me.  I just took my dad’s old ones.  I think it was London Fog—- is that a disqualifier?

#122 2021-12-28 09:16:58

A Fine Sadness

I'd guess the associations in the USA were entirely different to the UK, where football was often linked to, say, the wearing of red socks with hefty shoes or boots.  Our headmaster tried to ban them on those grounds.  The 'Harrington', like the crombie, was copied and flogged on the cheap.  I'm not sure anyone in the UK circa 1969 would have been wearing 'London Fog', in spite of the colourful adverts to be seen in magazines.  I seem to remember some gave off more of a 'Swinging London' vibe than Chelsea boot boy.

#123 2021-12-28 09:31:37

Uncle Ian

I believe you could buy London Fog in the 60s in London. You could certainly get H.I.S. "Harringtons" in Austin's - I know, I had one. Also a Drizzler from the same place. This would've been in 68/69 I think.The term "Ivy League" in reference to clothing meant nothing to me back then - I just liked the way I saw Americans dressing, both on TV ("Bewitched", "Laugh-in" etc.), and from observing the many tourists who thronged central London back then.

Last edited by Uncle Ian (2021-12-28 09:32:23)

#124 2021-12-28 09:35:31

A Fine Sadness

Thanks, Uncle Ian.  There was an eventual shift for some on here to the London Fog G4, the McGregor Drizzler and Anti-Freeze, but obviously well after the 60s.

I'd like to know a good deal more about what was, during that period, pretty well unaffordable.

#125 2021-12-28 09:40:51

Uncle Ian

I was still at school, with Saturday jobs, so it was all pretty much unaffordable to me. I used to sell off old toys, borrow from my brother, anything legit if there was a specific item of clothing I wanted. My prized possession was a super lightweight USA made, total Ivy League suit (I'd learned what the details were by then), once again from Austin's, in 68/69. I can't remember how much it cost, but I couldn't really afford to go out anywhere to wear it!

Board footer