You are not logged in.

#126 2021-12-28 09:43:59

A Fine Sadness

Re: How I Learned to Hate the Harrington

I love it.  That's true dedication.  I once read about Marc Bolan's obsession with Dinky Toys - then clothes - and the lengths he would go to in order to get what he craved.

#127 2021-12-28 09:47:04

A Fine Sadness

Looking back, it wasn't only the lack of ready cash that held me back but the unyielding grip of my mother upon my shoulder.  Didn't matter whether it was DC comic-books or tasselled loafers, she simply didn't want me to have them.  Any kind of enjoyment was out of the question.

#128 2021-12-28 12:25:45

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Grenfell doesn’t seem to have been mentioned, they’re the best currently available Harringtons I’ve seen and for the price the quality is excellent.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#129 2021-12-31 02:27:56

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

I think the rest of the world hardly pays any attention to what some yobs in the UK wear. The riff raff should not dictate anybody‘s choices.

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#130 2021-12-31 03:30:35

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

That’s a very good point Hank, even in the UK if you mentioned the term ‘suedehead’ or ‘casuals’ to most people under 60 they would just look at you blankly.

John Simons

#131 2021-12-31 04:52:28

RobbieB

The Harrington serves a purpose for me in UK spring and autumn conditions. I'm not bothered by any long gone associations with youth tribes, but I do ensure I don't do the all beige pensioner look.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#132 2021-12-31 07:15:33

Spendthrift

Yes Hank does make a very valid point.
I’ve noticed the army green fishtail parka with fur trim hood is very much the preserve of school run mum. I’m sure nobody’s shouting ‘We are the mods’ at them from car windows.
In the UK we are getting further and further away from assumptions about a person or lumping them in with any scene/gang just because of the clothes they’re wearing that particular day.

#133 2021-12-31 07:47:39

RobbieB

The swim coat parka (no fishtail) seems to be the coat of choice for school run mums in Leigh on sea. I often wonder (in a pervy kind of way) what they have on underneath. My immediate neighbour usually has a swimsuit because she does an early morning swim.

#134 2021-12-31 10:20:34

Yuca

Due to a warm spell I popped out this afternoon in a natural G9. Very ivy and a wonderful garment. How I learned to love the Harrington.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#135 2021-12-31 10:39:02

Staxfan

I like the idea of a swimsuit under a parka for ladies, it'll get me thinking when I next see a parka clad young lady !

#136 2021-12-31 12:09:21

RobbieB

A couple of years ago all the school run mummies were in gym bunny gear or running outfits. They seem to spend their spare time training and keeping in shape.

I will take the opportunity to wear a Harrington as soon as the weather improves wherever I am. Reclaim the Harrington!

#137 2021-12-31 13:46:47

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I would rather see your neighbour wearing her swimsuit under a Harrington.

John Simons

#138 2021-12-31 14:12:27

RobbieB

HaHa! She is a looker.

#139 2022-01-11 13:01:28

A Fine Sadness

I see they have a dedicated Harrington thread over on DressedWell.  Not bad.  Someone was arguing - pretty plausibly - that darker colours are best.

#140 2022-01-11 13:35:32

Spendthrift

My dark navy gets worn loads. Seems to go with (almost) everything.

The blue/yellow check is a lot less versatile, but still a pleasure to pull out on the odd cool Spring morning

#141 2022-01-11 14:28:22

colin
Bright Light

Stopped wearing them years ago due to the MODS! MODS! MODS! association.

There is a place for a lightweight jacket like a harrington though, so might dig out an old London Fog harrington when the weather picks up.

Used to have a lovely izod lacoste harrington with nice madras lining (I always see the stewart (?) tartan of Baracuta and the knock-off generic tartan harringtons everywhere, so nice to avoid).

#142 2022-01-11 23:35:11

Spendthrift

What happened to Izod? I picked up a couple of shirts not long ago as they seemed ok for ‘day to day’, and I had the name linked to Lacoste somewhere in my memory.
Since then I’ve noticed a load of cheap Izod branded stuff in TKMaxx etc. Strikes me it’s a name that’s been brought to add to a larger portfolio to wring out the last of it?
I might be wrong

#143 2022-01-12 01:33:35

Runninggeez

@Spendthrift, Lacoste partnered with Izod so they could promote the brand in the US, when I first discovered Harrington in Guildford, the Polo's they sold were Chemise Lacoste, but the Bell sleeve cardigans were Izod Lacoste, a friend of the shop worked on BA, and used to bring them back from trips to NY.

#144 2022-06-22 07:27:20

AFS

Who sang that song, 'The More I See You, The More I Want You'?  Chris Montez, was it?  It was probably about some lonely guy, on a Sunday afternoon, gazing through the window at a closed, quiet 2 Russell Street, at a pair of cordovan beauties basking in the sunlight. 
For me, with the Harrington, it's 'The More I See You, The More I Loathe You'.  A timely reminder has cropped up Elsewhere, noted by a former 'Talk Ivy' poster (who, I suspect, has not worn the G9 in many a long year). 
But, if only Johnny Simons had had a quid or three paid into his pension-pot each time someone tried flogging one of these beastly garments, I'd be well satisfied.

#145 2022-06-22 07:35:50

AFS

I don't think, the way I feel now, even if the 'Great Lost Gant' in olive showed up again I'd bite. 
Not unless some free parquet flooring came with it.

#146 2022-06-22 10:32:20

Tworussellstreet

The irony - John Simons, the man who first called the G9/Barracuta a 'Harrington' has always hated them. I recall being literally speechless when, at the height of my ultra-orthodox Ivy obsession in the 80s he told me he thought they were "vulgar". This after he'd flogged me a few pricey versions, including the mythical olive Gant. I thought I might just burst out crying...

#147 2022-06-22 10:59:28

AFS

The irony indeed.  One has to smile and shake the head.  At least one poster on here, though, going back a number of years, said he couldn't see anything remotely 'Ivy' about them, which caused me to raise an eyebrow (as an alternative, you see, to shaking the head: variety, after all, is the spice of life). 
I suppose, notwithstanding, they became a 'staple'.  The contemporary Baracuta reached the City Of Derby in around 2008.  A 'high end' retailer (who I've known since the 70s) began stocking them.  'We call these the G9', he confided in me.  'You don't say so?'  Red Wings were also featured - this in a place where men are men, women are grateful and chickens grow nervous after sundown.
The shop closed shortly afterwards and Martin went into a different line of business.
Of course he knew all the old bollocks about Sinatra, McQueen, Elvis etc. etc.

#148 2022-06-22 11:09:58

AFS

There's a photograph of James Dean over on DW (I sneaked another peek).  But isn't the jury still out on whether or not that was a kosher Harrington?  I thought (many moons ago) that it might have been a McGregor Anti-Freeze.  I had one (which once drew favourable comments, although from some 'Mod revivalist' type, not a nymphomaniac), but not for long.  Rather nasty artificial fibre item.  But some think the alternative Jimbo had something knocked up for him for that dreadful film (which I'm old enough to have seen on the big screen, albeit not the first time around).  Perhaps, had he lived, he might have become a Republican governor or done a guest spot in 'Dallas'.

#149 2022-06-23 15:05:16

AFS

The DW thread is actually quite amusing over a late-night mug of cocoa and a ginger biscuit. 
Someone is actually talking the 'arry UP, though, which comes as no surprise. 
Possibly, when I claim by bus-pass, I'll invest in one of the stone/beige Gant I sometimes see. 
Then again...

#150 2022-06-23 23:45:27

AFS

Sammy Ambrose has something of value to say on this subject.  I find myself, for once, in complete agreement with him.  Transport your G9 from sarf Landon to, say, Rhode Island or The Village, you might be dealing with a very different creature indeed: back to the original, golfing look perhaps (if that's your bag).  But that unzipped, aggressive, lager-swilling, belching, farting, football lout look is what turned me off to begin with - and on, for a while, to Peters, Derby, Catalina, McGregor, the London Fog G4 etc.

Board footer