You are not logged in.

#151 2022-07-02 11:42:10

AFS

Re: How I Learned to Hate the Harrington

Hilarious, sad, utterly predictable article in a magazine called 'Primer'.  A retread of all the other bullshit that's been spread around during these past years, beginning with James Dean.  Who cares any longer what that cry baby wore?  Or George W.Bush for that matter.  The sad truth is, anyone with an ounce of sense, nous and sartorial know-something will avoid the Harrington, whether Baracuta or otherwise, like bubonic plague.

#152 2022-07-02 11:43:54

AFS

I do see some version of them around, all the time, mostly worn by overweight, balding men walking their dogs.  Almost always unzipped for some reason.

#153 2023-05-11 07:50:19

RobbieB

Autumn and Spring time is when I get out one of my Harringtons. I have a natural colour one that I'm wearing today. Tuesday in the local 3 of us were sat at one table, me wearing the Baracuta and the other two mates in 'knock offs'. I must admit I did like the 'made in England' maroon 'knock off' one.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#154 2023-05-13 02:16:18

Kingston1an

Welcome back AFS.

With any luck the rogue Harrington wearers of the East Midlands will turn to fleeces, hoodies and other tops like most other people and spare you further distress.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#155 2023-05-13 13:14:19

An Unseen Scene

I wore a Grenfell harrington to a celebration of someone's life today in Nottingham. In contrast to AFS, don't see anyone in them anymore , I'm happy to wear mine.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2023-05-13 17:06:51)

#156 2023-05-13 14:10:06

RobbieB

I'm in the pub today. pissed as a newt. Geezer said to me good to see we are wearing our Harringtons!

#157 2023-05-14 12:25:58

RobbieB

Out today with my brother and other family members. He turned up in an Olive coloured Harrington and looked the business. We had a long chat about the Squire shop and the Ivy shop. He says that even to this day he has a quick glance down to see what footwear is being worn by others.

#158 2023-05-14 12:27:44

RobbieB

And AUS don't get upset. It's very easy to misunderstand comments.

#159 2023-05-15 02:54:11

Kingston1an

["He says that even to this day he has a quick glance down to see what footwear is being worn by others."

I did the same yesterday , looking across to the packed platform opposite at Kew Bridge station after the Brentford West Ham match . It was a wall of trainers . Occasionally there was footwear with a dark upper and white rubber sole. Only a couple of pairs of unremarkable leather shoes.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#160 2023-05-15 05:15:52

RobbieB

I watched the Brentford v WHU game with my brother on his son's TV (don't ask how). Embarrassing performance from the 'hammers'.  Back in my day we would have been wearing DMs at the football but leather shoes in the evening. I was wearing chocolate brown desert boots.
Today, on my morning constitutional, I did wear a pair of NB trainers for reasons of comfort. I did have a Harrington on with chinos (I've stopped wearing jeans).

#161 2023-05-15 12:26:27

Staxfan

Robbie - Didn't see any burgundy 'arringtons at the G-Tech stadium yesterday, I think your chinos with your 'arrington would be more 'age-appropriate' IMHO , hahaha
Kingy - if you spotted some old bloke in sandy coloured Astorflex dessies yesterday that would have been me, BTW -I noticed when I walked past yesterday  the army surplus store just up the road is closed now , possibly open for 'appointments',

#162 2023-05-18 02:36:25

Kingston1an

Did not see any desert boots. I wore a pair of Roamers on Tuesday. They are cheap because of the honeycomb sole which soon goes. Changed out of them into protective footwear. Also wore one of my Harringtons - a red one. Prefer the 'Made in England' ones from Ben Nevis in Camden Town. Raglan sleeves on those. Nice to buy British goods. Another inside pocket would be useful on Harrington's.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2023-05-18 02:37:23)

#163 2023-05-18 02:51:41

Kingston1an

Interesting to note many club regulars are lager drinkers who come out for a cigarette every half an hour. They must have a strong constitution.

Never any conflict with Real Ale Twats like this though.
http://bp3.blogger.com/_l3hE1L9RPR4/RttXh9jTn2I/AAAAAAAABRY/jlNeDm_H7Vc/s1600-h/Realaletwats1.JPG

#164 2023-06-04 08:00:18

Kingston1an

Burgundy Harrington worn by an older ticket tout at the Epsom races. Another tout had a nice suit but was moaning about lack of trade as rail strikes meant plenty of tickets available on the door.

Another burgundy Harrington on The Hill. This time it was an older chap wearing a Galway baseball cap. Burgundy would match Galway GAA football shirts.

#165 2023-06-21 20:25:13

Dulouz

^Noted Paul Weller had a red one on a gig in Germany earlier this year. He's also been sporting Incontinence pants Originals of late.

#166 2023-08-10 09:38:00

RobbieB

Two JS Harringtons for sale on the Markkt site. £120 each. Unfortunately for me they are XL

#167 2023-08-10 10:25:38

Staxfan

And a nice JS 3 piece suit in tweed on Maarkt today, can’t imagine when & where I’d wear that in 2023, had one MTM very similar in late 1970 in the ‘ transition ‘ period, soon ditched it and went full ‘ French look’ haha

#168 2023-08-27 06:56:28

Staxfan

This week I sold a JS G4 on ebay that I'd had 6-7 years, TBH I'd never felt that comfortable wearing it and originally bought it only as a stop gap lightweight jacket until I found something better, for me it was a definate no-go wearing it to a football match, it went to a good home and the buyer had earlier in the week bought an O'Connell's NOS shirt from me, oddly,(to me anyway), he paid my full asking price for both items , gradually slimming down my wardrobe, I've moved out 5 shirts over the last couple of weeks so plenty of shirt space in the wardrobe if I find something I can't resist !

Board footer