You are not logged in.

#51 2011-10-18 15:04:08

Andy_B
Ivy Realist

Re: The Style of Mr. Ian Strachan -

There was once a pop group known as 'The Jam'.  Don't recall the name of the, ahem, vocalist.

#52 2021-10-20 10:55:05

A Fine Sadness

Dark navy cords on Mr. Strachan.  That;s the kind of look I meant.  Did I read elsewhere they were of French origin?

#53 2021-10-20 11:22:33

Yuca

Despite my recent anti-navy trousers comment, it's a fine colour for cords.

Last edited by Yuca (2021-10-20 11:23:14)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#54 2021-10-20 11:29:50

A Fine Sadness

^Word.

#55 2021-10-20 15:19:25

Runninggeez

I'm pretty sure they were French, Harrington in Guildford used have French made cords, I think at that time Ivy Shop & Harrington used to joint buy various items shoes, Trousers etc. Parkes was another maker of cotton trousers & cords. I was reminiscing with /Weejun on IG  about the old S Fisher shop in Covent Garden which used to stock them

#56 2021-10-21 02:22:41

Lawlib

You can see a picture of Harrington's here https://www.hilorecords.co.uk/blogs/new-blog-post/the-style-of-squire-welcome-to-the-latest-squire-fan-club-newsletter

#57 2021-10-21 02:27:51

An Unseen Scene

Nice to see Lloyd mentioned in that article, a friend of the forum and been very helpful to me on clothing. He was in touch after I wrote about his work at Cue (the 60s onwards sub-brand within Austin Reed) and beyond. We all have a wistful sigh of appreciation for the work of Chris and Lloyd.

#58 2021-10-21 04:44:55

Runninggeez

Thanks Lawlib.

#59 2021-10-21 04:48:14

Staxfan

Harrington's was owned/run by Ian (?) and as mentioned in the Squire link was an original mid '60's mod and IS guy, not sure when they opened but my earliest recollection of visiting the shop was around 1990/91, Ralph Lauren, Gant, Marlboro, and popular labels of the day, had a table displaying the shoes,(probably an idea borrowed from the  IS), not totally Ivy but obviously Ivy/mod influenced, that guy Kevin (in the pic with J.Lally and the Timberland shoes in the IS ), worked at Harrington's before going back to the IS, my last visit was 2011, bought some topsiders which are still hanging in there, and some khaki dockers, surprisingly he had some Brookes Bros shirts in there, not sure where he sourced them from, Baracuta G9's as well, I bought my Son a Schott coat there late '90's,(his choice - he was with me !) my Wife & I use to shop in Guildford (although it was a bit of a trek there), as she liked 'Talbots', nice US ladies clothes, also in Guildford was David Steel, certainly not Ivy but excellent Italian Merino sweaters and excellent Italian trousers, heavy cotton twill and 'doeskin'(?) frog mouth pocket trews,(although Italian had an English/USA sounding name which I can't remember), wish I could find trousers like that now, Steel's was the 1st place I can remember noticing Paraboots, hope this helps AFS, hope I haven'r rambled too much, haha

#60 2021-10-21 05:05:02

Runninggeez

It started in the late 70's. Ian Herd Smith the owner worked for JS in the 60's at the Ivy/Squire Shops. That's how he became good friends with Ian Strachan. I started shopping there in 1980 and when I found it, it blew my mind I'd never seen a shop like that before. I mean I'd been to other independents but this shop spoke to me. The shoes, American made loafers, Baracuta, London Fog  La Paz Catalina's, stacks OCBD's, Bell sleeve cardigans by California Boy (which I think JS stocked) Heritage "Green Tiger"(that also made Polo's) and Izod Lacoste. They also sold Chemise Lacoste Polo's in various colours. They did Jackets but I'm not sure if they were Ivy League sacks. Also cords, grey flannels and cotton drill trousers.
If it wasn't for Ian who I also worked part time for (in order to get 40% discount) I probably wouldn't have found JS as it was he who told me about it. He knew I was into the more purist look so he told me about John's store in Russell St.
Mid 80's he started to sell more fashion bit and pieces and I think he was one of the first Independents to stock RL, in fact he had another store on the High St (now Jo Malone) which had three floors and the top floor was an RL showroom. He did try and help out IS when the Ivy Shop was on it's knees but it too little too late. I worked the last day of trading and I did it for nothing because of my love for the shop.
Harrington is sadly no more cost of high rents etc, I went to Guildford on Saturday and was shocked to see the state of the High St.

#61 2021-10-21 06:31:47

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Thanks for posting Runninggeez - your post didn’t display initially because the quote function doesn’t work at all at present. So I took the liberty of editing the ‘quote’ bit of your post out.

Interesting for me to read this stuff about the shop in Guildford because as you can see I’m fairly local.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#62 2021-10-21 06:55:01

RobbieB

Great posts on the Harrington shop. It sounds like my kind of place.
My favourite shop was the Bronx shop in Ilford near the Palais. It had more American clothes than the Squire shop and was run by a couple of blokes just a bit older than me. The guys were really clued up but I never found out who they were or where they came from. The shop failed to catch the Ivy wave and didn't last long. Most potential customers 'moved on' and I think they went bust.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#63 2021-10-21 07:16:57

Staxfan

Just thought about Harrington's a bit more, I think I first heard of them in the '80's from a guy (Doug Page),I knew who worked for another freight company at Heathrow, he arranged the customs clearance for the shoes they bought direct from the USA and had shipped by air, I think he also did the same for the IS,(he was a similar vintage to me and a IS customer), on my last visit, ( not 2011 as previously mentioned but a couple of years later), I was talking about this to Ian, ( he probably asked me what I did ), he said he remembered collecting the documents from Doug then going to queue at the airline warehouse to collect the shoes , hopefully they hadn't been pilfered!

#64 2021-10-21 08:04:53

Runninggeez

Pretty much spot Staxfan. Although I wouldn't of called Ian (Herd Smith) a Mod, his background is very much Jazz although he's also a fan of Georgie Fame and told me recently he'd bought a scooter. My first time there was 1980 and it was pretty much like JS & The Ivy Shop. Plenty of American OCBD's (Norman Shirtmakers, Hathaway, Yorke & Sero to name a few) Weejuns, Cole Haan & Sperry shoes. Lacoste & Heritage Green Tiger Polo's, G9's & London Fog, plenty of Scottish knitwear Braemar of Scotland was one & Alan Paine. You get the gist. Around the mid to late 80's he started getting a bit designer influenced Gant RL like you mentioned. Kevin in the newspaper was Kevin Kavanagh who managed Harrington, the reason he was at the Ivy Shop was that it was loosing money, JS was asked to help out but didn't (not sure if he couldn't afford to or didn't want to) so Ian who was good friends with IS stepped in and put KK in charge but it too little too late, shame really because it would work nowadays. Finding the stock could be an issue though.

#65 2021-10-21 08:17:56

Runninggeez

Thanks Woof, I went their as it was easier for me to get to than heading up the M3 to Richmond, although when Harrington started going a bit designer I shopped more at Ivy Shop & JS.
Did anyone on here shop at the Ivy Shop Windsor ? That was a lovely shop probably my favourite, it looked a lot better than Richmond, it had that Gentleman club feel to it.

#66 2021-10-21 09:26:18

Staxfan

Hi Runninggeez , yes I shopped at the IS Windsor, closer to where I lived ( & still live) than either Guildford or Richmond, it closed in 1987, I remember buying very discounted shirts, Atkinson ties & Bass deck shoes in the sale, much more roomier than the Richmond shop, at that time there was a shop 2 minutes away, (opposite corner to the Windsor theatre), that also sold Ivy clothes,( I think they were modelling the shop on the IS), don't think it lasted that long, remember buying a madras 1/2 sleeve, ( possibly Geoffrey Scott), chinos and some black loafers with a fringe on them, ( never really took to them ), but I'm sure they were USA made, the Ivy Shop also had a shop in Putney high street, mid '70's to '80's I'd guess, remember seeing John Lally in there,

#67 2021-10-21 10:09:18

Runninggeez

I vaguely remember the other shop. A guy roundabout my age whose name I think was name was Gary started it up although I could be wrong. He worked in the Windsor Ivy shop with Lally. The guy who managed it was a Scottish fellow called Kit would've been same age as IS, I used to see him at record fairs. He would be buying up all the easy listening records which he sold abroad made a pretty good mark up by all accounts. I heard a rumour that he was ripping off IS, and along with a drop in the tourist trade around that time was one of the reasons the shop closed. I think this was probably the start of the downfall of the Ivy Shop Richmond.

#68 2021-10-21 10:45:40

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

This is all very interesting for a Johny come lately like me, as all the shops you’re mentioning are around West London and it’s outskirts. I wish they were still there!

Would you say that interest in the Ivy style was concentrated around that area?

Was ‘Ivy’ spoken about as a term when you went to these shops, or indeed out with your mates?

John Simons

#69 2021-10-21 11:43:10

A Fine Sadness

Delighted to have got this conversation going again.

#70 2021-10-21 11:43:27

Lawlib

I left the Windsor area in 81.  A lot of people I knew there were into what I think we would have thought of as American clothes rather than Ivy.  I was in my late teens when I left and had a good few mod or moddish friends but there were also young rockabillies at the time in Windsor.  Slough was a big soul boy town.  Lots of people of all types would go up to Flip at the weekends and there was a lot of loafer wearing going on.  I remember buying a pair in the department store on Peascod Street which I suppose suggests there was a fairly wide market for them beyond the niche places.  I later lived in Surrey and visited Harrington's a few times.  Believe it or not, there was briefly a place on the Queen's Road, Weybridge that sold lots of Ivy/Preppy stuff.  It was run by two American ladies who lived in Burwood Park.  I still have a pair of Sebago beef rolls from there which cost a fortune.  I think the relatively large number of American expats living in Surrey/Berkshire may have helped in the days before you could get RL, Gant etc on every high street - it meant there was a market beyond the local clothes conscious kids for these kind of clothes.  People who could actually afford them!

#71 2021-10-21 11:52:37

Staxfan

Hi Woof, I guess there was a strong ivy’ish look around West London due to the Ivy Shop in Richmond,through the ‘80’s after the flairs etc of the ‘70’s I guess there were plenty of guys like me that whilst now always being (even) 90% Ivy still wore elements of the look, Lally would drop a comment such as ‘ you’re looking very Ivy’ when you went into the IS, but TBH most of my mates had probably lost interest, JS asked me a couple of years ago if my friends were still interested in clobber, my best mate still talks about the IS but TBH I’m a bit ashamed to be seen with him when we’re out, I bought him a NOS Sero from O’Connell’s for his 60th birthday, only seen him wear it a few times, thought I was the odd man out till I found the rest of you freaks on FNB hehe, You would have fitted in well in Richmond/Twickenham in ‘68 - 70, I reckon 90% of the guys in the Castle Ballroom had shoes from Hill Rise,

#72 2021-10-21 13:44:37

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Great recollections fellas.

When I moved to Middlesex in 2006 there was still a strong US presence in West London and the adjacent counties due to military and diplomatic staff, either based in the area or choosing to live there. American bases and married quarters - all gone and official residences for senior staff much reduced over the last 15 years. There are still schools catering for their children although I expect they have had to widen their catchment after the scaling down of the American input following the end of the Cold War. The Peace Dividend has led to a Natural Shoulder reduction, our clothing predilections impacted by global events. I bet the first Berliner who bashed a brick off the Wall never realised they would bring about a Brooks shortage in Brooklands.

I have discovered the odd cache of American clothing in a charity shop, a bit like finding a fossil on Chesil Beach … but not for a while now.

Peascod Street in Windsor is much reduced but Daniels department store manages to hold on for now, there certainly aren’t any loafer emporiums or mens shops worth a special trip for.

It seems I arrived in the area about 25 years too late!

John Simons

#73 2021-10-21 15:39:55

Runninggeez

Hi Woof just to reiterate what Stax & lawlib were saying, I too would agree that an Interest in Ivy Style was fairly concentrated around this part of the South East. But we may have called it preppy. The only person I knew of that was more Ivy (jacket, smart trousers heavy duty wingtips) was a guy who I only knew as Gary, he was copper, used to shop in Harrington and at one time worked part time in the Ivy Shop Richmond on his days off (very smart).
Me and my mates would normally go out & around Surrey and the outskirts of London, places like the Carafino in West Byfleet and the Running Mare in Fetcham, used to see plenty of Harrington/Ivy Shop customers and you could spot a one at 10 paces, OCBD or polo shirt maybe a G9 smart cotton trousers and then you'd looked down and clock what shoes he was wearing and then you'd just nod. I don't think we thought ourselves Ivy, as I said more preppy, I was only 21/22 at the time, didn't know what Ivy was, but once I started shopping more at JS I started to think of a more Ivy look.

#74 2021-10-22 03:01:43

Kingston1an

Carafino seems to be a Harvester pub now. The Running Mare is Cobham is still going. Not pubs I know and I only risked one drink when driving outside zone 6. Usually in old King and Barnes pubs when they still brewed in Horsham.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#75 2021-10-22 05:06:58

Runninggeez

You're right about The Carafino Kingston1an, it's now a Harvester. The Running Mare back then was buzzing Saturday Nights, it was a bit of drive to get there but worth it.
Loved shopping at Harrington's, all started lunchtime straight into the Bulls Head, (long gone, now a Kiehl's) use to do a good ale in there (Youngs, possibly K&B). Then off to Harrington to spend normally an hour plus trying and buying, chatting with the Saturday lads, then off home many £'s lighter.

Board footer