You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » The long march away from the Spirit of '69

#1 2009-05-01 12:25:15

chetmiles

The long march away from the Spirit of '69

I once shaved off my hair.

I was an arsey teenager ('stroppy' was the word we used then, of course) who wanted to piss off his parents and only ended up pissing off some rockers (who tried running me over in their van - some on the forum might wish they'd succeeded) and some Scousers, who imagined I was National Front (remember them?  Ironically, I was well into Rock Against Racism, and was at the infamous gig at Wembley Arena during which right-wing skinheads, who'd infiltrated in, started lobbing the pull-out metal ashtrays into the crowd from above.  Jimmy Pursey came and tried to calm it down). 
Anyway... 
Pity, don't you think, that the Nick Knight book is only worth bothering with for Jim Ferguson's section?  As for George Marshall, 'Spirit of '69' is all right (if shockingly overpriced), 'Skinhead Nation' a bit less so IMO. 
We loved the Richard Allen pulp paperbacks, whatever Elmsy thought of them.  I love the Jamaican influence, to a degree; especially the music; and I can appreciate something of the 'working class solidarity' ideas behind it. 

But hasn't it all become tainted?  How can a sussed skinhead really get along nowadays without showing enormous strength of character?  Even now, because my hair is pretty close cropped, I sometimes get The Look.  And I don't even wear a Harrington! 
Do many on here look back with real affection?  Or were they relieved to get into the tank tops and baggies and polo necks?  There seems to be at least as much myth-making about skinhead as about mod.  Gibson Gardens refers to 'cartoon mods' - heaven knows there are 'cartoon skinheads'. 

Any thoughts?  And this isn't meant to be in any sense political, left or right.

#2 2009-05-01 13:04:51

Get Smart

Re: The long march away from the Spirit of '69

Interesting topic....

personally, I have no problem with "Spirit of 69" and in a sense don't feel right if I am not in some way representing that, as stupid as it sounds.  I don't shave my head anymore (used to sport a #1-3 crop depending on mood), don't (never have) wear bleachers, still wear Air Wair shoes (occasionally even lace up oxblood 1460s with the white laces), still wear harringtons and very occasionally my MA-1 bomber....etc etc

The way I see it is if you are a "sussed skinhead" no one really knows what you are.  They just think you're a neatly put together fellow that sort of has a slight old man look about him.

I remember when the book Spirit of 69 came out (we preordered it from England for about $20 iirc back then)..and it's a good book but it really opened up a Thongs made of barbed wire's box when it comes to the skinhead scene as suddenly George Marshall's words suddenly became "the correct mantra" and it created a new batch of freshcuts that saw the books as some kind of religious tome.  Skinhead Nation was a bit more interesting since it focused on actual crews in different parts of the world.  If you've ever seen the BBC series "World of SKinhead" it's basically Skinhead Nation as a real video documentary since nearly all of the same people are focused in the book and in the film.

Look, for the most part skinheads are knuckleheads, that can't be argued. There are probably more cartoon skins than cartoon mods, esp as "skinhead" has taken on to mean something different depending on the participant.  Some see the traditional 69 style skinhead as "faggot queers" and then you have boneheads and skins who arent skins they are just "punks with bald heads", if you asked a traditional 69er

At the risk of sounding like a heretic, I think in a lot of ways the 78-80 "new breed" skinheads were the first to really claim "skinhead" as a "way of life" subculture, moreso than the originals in 68-9 who seemed more like they were jumping on the latest fad, evidenced by the fact that many (most) of them were only skins for a year or two before moving on the the next big thing.  The punk era skinhead seemed to know his roots from 69 but kept it relevant to his time by mixing Oi music into the mix, otherwise skinhead becomes not too different from the retro rockabilly scene where you only listen to music up to 19__, and I've never thought of skinhead as "retro".  I met up with and had some pints with the Camden skinheads in London last winter and those guys are from the class of 78 and are still going strong as skinheads....some of you might think it silly that men nearing 50 would still be in "boots and braces", and while personally I don't fly my flag that loudly, I do think there's something admirable about them still keepin on

#3 2009-05-01 13:23:23

chetmiles

Robust defence, my man!

#4 2009-05-01 15:23:19

Get Smart

to clarify, I don't care about the "skinhead scene" nor do any sort of 'claiming'.  I still listen to the music (oi, ska, soul) and incorporate skinhead gear into my daily wear, but there were 2 big turning points that caused the death of the skin scene IMO.

1.  the Spirit of 69 book.....before the book came out we were very excited for it, since it was a book about "us".  After it came out the first wave of "insta-skins" came about and you'd hear stupid shit like "well the Spirit of 69 book says this....".  Before the book, you had to just go out and "be a skinhead", meet and hang out with like sorts and learn things almost via apprenticing (not the best analogy but whatever).  It meant going to shows and maybe you get a few kicks in the head along the way but that's how it was done.  By the mid 90s a lot of my peers got fed up with the skin scene and we got into rockabilly, since it was the "skinhead retirement plan".  Rockabilly still had an adherence to smart attire, the music was raw and rough the way we like it, and the girls were prettier (most important).  It was like something in the water as guys I hadnt talked to in years got into Rockabilly at the same time as me and at some rockabilly hangouts, it was basically like a skinhead retirement community with many rockabillies from the skin scene.  Then, as if a newsletter was passed around, many of us got back into the sussed skin/suedehead mentality a few years later.  Some of my friends are still heavily into rockabilly which is cool, but for me I'm always a skinhead at heart ya know

2.  the internet (aka the skin-ternet).  Once you were able to google everything the phenomenon of the insta-skin got worse.  Suddenly there are tough guys all over forums, talking shit.  Sorry, but it's hard to take a skinhead seriously that got into it during the cyber era.  There was sort of a rite of passage when we had to hunt down and really put an effort into getting our gear back then.  No "add to cart" to get your freds and DMs.  So when you see a guy all sussed out, you know he went the distance to get the look as right as possible.  It's all about the effort, which is pretty nonexistent now.  Same with getting records.  As an older fella, I do like the convenience of it all, but I think younger guys need to go thru the trials to get good gear and records.  Builds character and all that, but time marches on and life gets easier which is all good i suppose.  but still....

If having been a "sussed skin" has any benefits, it's that it sorta gives you a good foundation for smart style that hopefully one develops when he's older into his own look rather than just wearing the "skinhead uniform" til yer 80.  It's amazing how many "high fashion" looks and garments are co-opted from skinhead gear into something more mainstream.  The fact that skinhead suss was never rooted in caricature is its biggest benefit.  Thank god it took its original cues from American Ivy style!!

I don't know how many from the class of '68 are still into it, even peripherally, but it was nice to chat with Jim Cox at the New Untouchables NYE bash a few months back.  That guy is still going strong 40+ years later (and played a killer DJ set) and more power to him and all the others that still "keeping the faith", despite it originally being a "youth cult"

#5 2009-05-01 16:30:12

chetmiles

Well, Jim Cox is the real deal for sure.

#6 2009-05-02 05:48:18

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy

Interesting viewpoint GS.

My experience around skinhead (I was never one, but knew a number) is that like everything you get the sussed ones and you get the idiots. I will bet my mortgage that it was the same back in the 60's/early70's and I know for a fact it was that way in the late 70's. Interesting for me is to remember that throughout the 70's, after the initial waves of skin had died down and before the resurgance in the late 70's, there were always a handful of skin's around my area, so it wasn't something that ever really went away. But looking back those skins who stayed around wore more associated with trouble than looking great. But it was like that with Teds too, there always seemed to be some around when I was a kid, especially during the 70's in this country when there was a revival of sorts, at least again up to the late 70's. Again more associated with trouble than actually looking good, and again cartoon teds. But I bet there must have been some sussed ones!

Can a well sussed skin get alaong nowadays, I would think so, but it would be hard work distancing themself from the uglier associations. Maybe in some of the larger cities??

The other point you raise for me is the whole "keeping the faith" thing with a youth cult when you ain't no longer a youth. Weller gets derided, and despite what you think of the man and his haircut, he has worn some nice clothes as he has got older that allow you to see where his influence's come from, without trying to look the same as he did as a younger man (haircut an exception here!!!!)

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#7 2009-05-02 06:20:16

chetmiles

I remember the revival well: after punk began to divide around 77-78, with some moving away from the getting crappy SPs and Clash to Sham, the Angelic Upstarts, Cockney Rejects, Cock Sparrer, Skrewdriver.  Some stayed loyal, but the few in my neck of the woods were would-be neo-Nazi bonebrains - who would be jumping onto the Special AKA/Madness bandwagon soon enough.  They tended to get avoided or pasted.

#8 2009-05-03 03:56:39

The Laird of Enfield

Interesting this week to see skins oot in numbers at The Specials gigs.

Think a fair number were ex-mods who have gone the crop route as their hairline dictated they should.   smile

Ma experience ay skins in the original two-tone days were that the old yins were sussed, smartly dressed and into their reggae.

The new skins who emerged in the late 70s tended as a general rule towards bonehead, 12 eyelet boot-wearing, seig-heiling, spiders web tattoo inked, retards unfortunately.

Hopefully most ay that mob will have grown-up (or died).

#9 2009-05-03 04:11:17

chetmiles

The Specials?  Christ, Jerry Dammers didn't have all his teeth back in the day!

#10 2009-05-03 05:00:10

chetmiles

I'm willing to believe that the first lads who adopted the look - as early as '64 according to at least one source - were simply mods moving off slightly in another direction.  I'm guessing this was, once more, a sussed 'parts of London' thing.  By the time it reached this part of the Midlands (I was still in junior school), it was all sheepskins and cherry reds: kids you were at pains to avoid at the chippie and the bus stop.  Distinctly non-Ivy.  Person of Pakistani heritage-bashing types, in fact.  But Derby has always been stuck in a time-warp; there was some scratching of the surface but nothing more.  They - we - seemed to take more enthusiastically to the polo neck-check baggies-basketweaves or brogues period (around '72 here - late again).  Also there was a short-lived fashion for dungarees called 'Bleeders'.  DMs were still all over the place, worn "Bronco Bullfrog" fashion with just about anything.  The greatest sin was to wear 'cheap jeans' instead of Levis.  The footie lads would have a good laugh at you if they weren't red tag. 
Music was Motown or Northern for the smoothies, Bowie, Cockney Rebel and Mott the Hoople for the rejects (like me).  Rockabilly surfaced very briefly around '75, but Northern really had a hold round here by then - and the best dancers got the fittest girls.  I tended to sulk in my room, listening to Willie Dixon and Muddy Waters. 
Then, suddenly, it was 'Where Have All The Boot Boys Gone?"

#11 2009-05-03 05:03:32

The Laird of Enfield

#12 2009-05-03 05:04:38

chetmiles

Ah, Rico!  Top chappie to be sure, Laird!

#13 2009-05-03 05:05:08

Kingstonian

#14 2009-05-03 05:09:30

chetmiles

Well, it becomes escapism, K, doesn't it?  Kids grown up and all that.  I just think you've got to work like buggery if you're a skinhead who wants to be a bit subtle about it.  My hair's only short now because it really has to be.  No other definite reason.

#15 2009-05-03 08:36:21

Get Smart

obviously as an older fellow you probably want to avoid wearing braces as, to me anyways, that is one of the defining bits of the cartoon-skin, braces with high boots and jeans rolled up to the top of the boot.  an older skinhead can easily wear the more classic elements of the uniform (jeans or staprest, buttondown, jumper, brogues or loafers, crombie or harrington) and no one would ever know the wiser that he was a "skinhead".  And I think that within that context someone can be, as Alex puts it, an "individualist"/"stylist" and still have nods to the skinhead subculture.

and there is definitely an age where wearing mohair/tonic/sharkskin suits becomes a part of the cartoon look.

and I hope the Specials see the $$$ and do a USA tour.

#16 2009-05-03 11:42:03

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy

#17 2009-05-03 12:22:31

chetmiles

Well, he'll maybe learn to roll down his jeans and wear wingtips or loafers instead of the DMs.  Two bloody girls, though, the jammy sod!

#18 2009-05-03 12:38:16

Staceyboy
Ivy Archivist

I think that there might well be a bit of a mini Skin revival around our way. Seen a few youngsters dressed in some pretty cool gear compared to their teenage contemporaries. That scene is a small world so 'new' faces stand out a mile. There were a few in evidence at a do the other night where a local band "Tighten Up" made their debut. Pretty decent they were too, put together by Roddy Moreno of The Oppressed/SHARP fame which some of our more Skin inclined contributors may be familiar with. It helps too that a small "Moddy" clothes boutique has opened locally that has attracted a lot of young (and even student) punters. Very little of their wares are my cup of tea but the bloke running it is a really genuine guy and I wish him well.

Staceyboy

#19 2009-05-03 12:44:40

chetmiles

Fair play to these lads.  Sportswear has always had its place, but if I see another rat-faced little bollock-brain swaggering around in an updated shell-suit I think I'll scream...  Better by far a skin revival.  At least they stand a chance of moving on and up, instead of acquiring a Staffie becoming the height of their ambitions.  They might even discover Jim Ferguson.

#20 2009-05-03 20:29:13

Get Smart

#21 2009-05-04 01:15:42

chetmiles

GS, did you ever listen to Sham 69?  I must have seen them half a dozen times in 1978, at various venues in England.  Jimmy Pursey was a genuinely nice guy (somewhat fancied by my wife) who really cared about his fans.  The last gig I attended, which must have been in the later summer of 78, was exceptionally violent and he ended up collapsing in his dressing room.  The far right really did him in.

#22 2009-05-04 03:18:52

The Laird of Enfield

There wis a ska band fae Perth (Scotland) back aboot 1980 also called The Rude Boys.

Did a cracking version ay the theme tune fae "The Sweeney".

As far as I know tho' the pinnacle ay their success wis a support slot with Bad Manners.

#23 2009-05-04 03:33:54

Staceyboy
Ivy Archivist

Last edited by Staceyboy (2009-05-04 03:35:37)

#24 2009-05-04 08:39:57

Get Smart

#25 2009-05-04 11:02:03

chetmiles

I got to know Jimmy slightly.  One of them - and I can't remember which - was born in my home town, before moving south with his parents.  Albie Slider, the chief roadie, was a great guy.  I well recall swapping badges with Jimmy at the Sandpiper club in Nottingham.  I was 18 and star-struck.  The boneheads did for him, definitely.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » The long march away from the Spirit of '69

Board footer