#51 2009-09-16 06:29:41

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

Re: Fave pics from the IL Style for Today Thread

#52 2009-09-16 06:39:24

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

you say you can't speak for me but you just did. everyday life, entrtainment. that's what all this forum malarky is all about to me.

#53 2009-09-16 07:02:13

Beatnik

I totally understand what you're saying boys. But, I come on here to escape everyday life.
If i want real life i'll get on with some work or ring the missus to see what's for tea. I come on to this forum to talk and learn about culture, movies, music and the excitment of hunting and finding new clothes. Which are not real life. Thet are a diversion from real life.
I thought i'd stir it up today bacause a littlle bit of friction seems to bring out the best in people. They suddenly become sharper and funnier even a little more dangerous. Overall more entertaining. All of this has got to be better than talking about boiling an onion to clean your shirts.

#54 2009-09-16 07:15:33

B.R.

#55 2009-09-16 07:21:02

Beatnik

I'm sorry... and you are?

#56 2009-09-16 07:29:55

B.R.

Fair enough, I only post occasionally. Disregard!

#57 2009-09-16 07:32:52

Beatnik

No sorry B.R. Do forgive me, that was rude. I just wasn't sure what 'snap yourself, don't crap yourself' meant. I do apologise...

Last edited by Beatnik (2009-09-16 07:33:18)

#58 2009-09-16 07:52:56

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

I don't think you'll get very far with the old 'I do it to bring out the best in people' gambit. Not here, and not without being a whole lot cooler about it.

If it's escapism and fantasy you're after, why not dress as a pirate? Much more fun.

'Snap yourself, don't crap yourself' is brilliant BTW. I'm going to start saying that to people just to savour the nonplussed look as I walk away.

#59 2009-09-16 07:59:22

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

#60 2009-09-16 07:59:57

B.R.

Last edited by B.R. (2009-09-16 08:01:04)

#61 2009-09-16 08:01:40

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#62 2009-09-16 08:11:38

Beatnik

Are you turning on me Moose. I note a slight change in the tone of your posts. Have I not entertained you today?

#63 2009-09-16 08:16:20

Beatnik

I'll tell you what. Tomorrow i'll post about if you stick a carrot up your arse it will keep your shoes shiny. If that what it takes. I just thought we were having fun?

#64 2009-09-16 08:49:16

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#65 2009-09-16 09:55:58

Gibson Gardens
Ivy Author

'Beatnik' has only ever posted one worthwhile post up here - the one where he very cleverly mimicked the internet voices of several characters here. This promised much, the man clearly has wit and talent, but he seems also to be a nasty, rude boy who takes too much pleasure in aggression. Actually it strikes me on this forum that in general (there are obvious exceptions) it is the Brits with all the attitude here, who can't spell, throw insults around, who are just basically narks unable to indulge in this game in the right spirit. It's always those of the 'mod' persuasion with their fists up, and 'Beatnik' clearly is a mod as he has such a hard-on for Daniele, an elegant man who dabbles in Ivy as part of his look but is not a bona-fide Ivy man. Why are the British so aggressive? AA Gill wrote a great book about this. If 'Beatnik' can't see the glamour in a sack suit and a pair of desert boots then he's on the wrong website. Try as we might it is hard to turn ourselves into living incarnations of Newman, Clift, Perkins etc decked out in Ivy gear. Speaking personally I have found the attention to detail and the dedication of many here to the Ivy look to be a revelation. It has opened my eyes, made me less cynical. There are genuine stylists out there with a real love for all this stuff. 'Beatnik' may try to stamp on this but we must ignore him. His real home is over on 'modculture' where belligerence and banality dominate proceedings.

GG

#66 2009-09-16 10:23:43

Beatnik

I knew big Gibbo would wade in at some point with his God-like voice booming from Ivy Mountain.
I love the man's unfaltering faith in his own taste and intelligence. Wonderful.
Unfortunatly his judgement in this case is slightly clouded. I am not now, or have ever been, a mod Sir, or have ever been on, or seen this Modculture site.
I do have a hard on for Daniele. If that means I think he is a very well dressed man, who would turn heads and also knows how to take a good photograph and present himself well. I would admire this whether he was a punk, a mod or new age crusty.
I do see the glamour you describe in a sack suit and desert boots (strangely enough what i'm wearing today). I just think this glamour isn't played up enough on the forum and we often revel in the mundane.
Gibson can't you see why I do this? We have had some lively and entertaining debate today, and if it means I have to play the pantomime baddy to initiate this then so be it.I may be a nasty, rude boy (I'm 48!) but your racist remarks and negative mod references are also uncalled for.
GG, I just got bored and tried to stir up some craic. All this about me stamping on stuff is rather overly dramatic.
We all know you won't really be happy until you have your 'bona fide' Ivy forum left to yourself and maybe one or two others. Sadly I'm queer and I'm here old chum!

Last edited by Beatnik (2009-09-16 10:24:33)

#67 2009-09-16 10:32:11

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick (2009-09-16 10:33:09)

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#68 2009-09-16 11:55:07

Alex Roest

Last edited by Alex Roest (2009-09-16 11:57:03)

#69 2009-09-16 12:05:05

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Great finds! Awesome Madras blazer!

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#70 2009-09-16 12:05:58

adam!
The Future

#71 2009-09-16 12:49:13

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#72 2009-09-16 13:50:28

Alex Roest

#73 2009-09-16 14:17:39

Brownshoe

These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood.

I love everyone's pictures, even the ones I don't like, if that makes any sense.  I am also gay for Daniele, if only because I want to somehow seduce him, lull him into a sense of security, and then steal all of his clothes.

Patrick and Moose are obviously Monsters of Ivy.  Love Adam!, Heikki, Tom Rath, 66.  So much good stuff going on.

#74 2009-09-16 14:41:29

Gibson Gardens
Ivy Author

On the subject of the frumpiness of 'the look' I've always kind of gone along with that old line about it making you look older when younger but younger when older. When I was 22 I wore bloody herringbone and saddle bucks and didn't get laid for 4 years! But I/we were extreme cases, especially when we all went out and got Anglo-American hornrims to make us look like extras from Annie Hall but completely physically undesirable to all the 20 year olds we wanted to bang. Bittersweet years indeed. Folk like Adam! though it seems to me have taken the sweeter, boyish, sporty elements of the style and are probably still attractive to the opposite or indeed the same sex. Now I am 44 I think my look is considered charming and distinctive by the more discerning out there. Most though still don't give a shit, don't have an eye and their opinions are completely worthless anyway.

GG

#75 2009-09-17 01:55:43

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Fave pics from the IL Style for Today Thread

Board footer