Alex Roest

Re: Fave pics from the IL Style for Today Thread

#77 2009-09-18 04:53:49

Brideshead

#78 2009-09-18 05:02:28

Brideshead

I reckon this pic from WAYWT at AAAC is worthy of the Talk Ivy thread.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62656&page=545

#79 2009-09-18 06:02:24

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

^ I think Mr Holidays outfit looks spot on. Nice and Autumnal indeed, a nice mix of colours. I also like rgrossicones outfit too. He talks about having the jacket lengthened an extra inch. Although it looks fine to me. Never go for long jackets really.

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#80 2009-09-18 06:08:36

Alex Roest

#81 2009-09-18 15:20:33

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

#82 2009-09-18 15:44:09

Alex Roest

^Credit where it's due.

#83 2009-09-19 18:43:33

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#84 2009-09-19 19:21:07

Brownshoe

Prof, the way I look at the thread, it's not about presenting knock-out glamour with each shot--it's a look at what an average, ugly Ivy fan shmoe like me wears on a given day.  How does this stuff work on a rainy Tuesday in the real world?  I'm not a fashion plate or movie star.

Daniele is just on another level, a true stylist ninja MF.  I hate to think how embarrassed he must be about all of this, but he's in another league.  I'm a working stiff, jelly-smeared dad with a mortgage and a gut.  It's interesting, to me anyway, to see how such a fellow keeps Ivy alive in his own individual way.

#85 2009-09-19 23:17:05

ScarletStreet

Brownshoe, For what it's worth I think you are every bit the equal of Daniele. In my estimation he has never looked bad on here but he has also posted far less pictures than you or any of the more prolific posters. Some of your stuff is as good as this clothing gets as far as I'm concerned. I have no comment about "glamour" and it's place in Ivy style. I think a lot of the Miles, Mcqueen, Chet, etc. worship is the function of image and the onlookers imagination. Eye of the beholder and all that. That being said I do think quality can be seen and recognized in this style. I agree with Prof. K. above about the picture Moose included. It looks like a  guy who needs a shave and haircut in a ill-fitting thrift store suit. I am not trying to personally denigrate the poster (well maybe his hair choices, and that's a personal prejudice) but one only needs to look to multiple posters on here to see vintage choices, thrifted or not, utilized well. My entire selection of sport coats is "vintage", so I have nothing against employing it as an option. I think the problem I see with a lot of people who found this style on online is they look for the extra button hole, and the lack of the darts and think their work is done. There is no economy of choice. How does this not amount the playing dress up that a lot of us have decried in the past going on elsewhere on the net.

To be fair to Redmanca( who does deserves respect for posting his pictures on the original thread), I have seen pictures of his outfits on other sites that were good.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it." -- H.L. Mencken

#86 2009-09-20 05:45:56

DB

I agree with Brownshoe's thoughts about Ivy Style for Today pics.  I am interested in what others wear on a day-to-day basis to work or on weekends.  I have picked up ideas and have seen what looks good.  These types of pictures appeal to me more than the vintage pictures of McQeen, etc., although those are useful as well.

I also commend Redmanca for posting here as well.  The seated picture makes it difficult to tell about the fit of the suit.  I have seen him post elsewhere as well and am glad he has decided to post here.

#87 2009-09-20 08:06:09

redmanca

Thanks for the comments guys (and Moose for the compliment of putting my picture here).

It all helps I guess.

Conor

#88 2009-09-20 13:25:45

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#89 2009-09-20 14:07:15

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#90 2009-09-21 00:55:59

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

#91 2009-09-21 01:50:01

Beatnik

Thanks Prof for the back up here. Sometimes I do like to jump out of the cosy trench wander out into no man's land a little, and just wait to be shot at.
Maybe a few more people should get out of their trench and liven up discussion here. It's nice to have a mutual admiration society but sometimes we need to shake things up here a bit. The "You look great", "No, you look great" chat gets a bit dull day in and day out.
Brownshoe - You are a glamorous, larger than life character. You live in New York and you wear great clothes. Not mad on the shots of you smoking a cigar in shorts and a rain mac though...

#92 2009-09-21 02:07:45

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

While I expect this will fall on deaf ears, 'criticism' on the level of 'looks like shite' or even personal insults is just indicative of poor articulative skills and evidence of plain rudeness. It is neither witty nor clever.

I won't waste any more words on the subject.

#93 2009-09-21 03:04:16

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Anybody is welcome to deconstruct things over here. If it's done with skill then we all gain. 'Looks like Shite' needs to be expanded on to stand up, I think.

I think Redmanca is great for the 'Trad' take on the style. Others are great for the 'Mod' take. It's not to be expected that 'Mods' & 'Trads' will agree, but if you have a thing for style then you can maybe appreciate other people doing what they do.

- Even I can spot when 'Goth' is done well!

Best -

#94 2009-09-21 04:49:11

Beatnik

Actually. I am Britain's foremost exponent of "Goth Ivy". And I really do "look like shite".
In fairness to the Prof Maybe he was being a touch 'bit off the cuff'. But he's a really good guy.
Aren't we all being a bit too proper and PC here. A little bit 'touchy'?

Last edited by Beatnik (2009-09-21 04:52:55)

#95 2009-09-21 05:00:56

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Just playing the old 'balancing act'...

Reddy is new & comes from a different place to the Prof. - But both are welcome here.

Everybody has a contribution.

Best -

#96 2009-09-21 05:18:49

Alex Roest

PK is cool but usually articulates his thoughts a lot better than he has done of late and that's when I find people the most interesting. Nothing to do with any political correctness in my case, just what I appreciate and what not. I tend to ignore pointless bickering anyway, unless I think I'm being singled out of course wink

#97 2009-09-21 05:24:58

Beatnik

Well, it goes without saying that everyone hates you Alex... Wink!

#98 2009-09-21 05:51:59

Alex Roest

#99 2009-09-21 06:06:26

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

#100 2009-09-21 08:05:40

AQG

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy