Appleton white rum
shot of Minttu
generous dash of lime juice
squirt of Angostura

shaken

#27 2009-08-12 14:55:40

Gravenimages

Re: What's Your Tipple?

Tanq and tonic on hot days like today, for the typically foggy ones we get I was recently been introduced to Jim Beam Rye, and I've already begun abusing the friendship.

http://sartoriana.wordpress.com/

#28 2009-08-12 20:49:04

The_Shooman
A pretty face

l rarely have a drink because it doesn't agree with me much and l don't get off on having a drink anymore.

*  Fosters Lager, V.B, Melbourne bitter (beers)
*  Vodka shots (much better than beer, but l usually avoid because l don't wanna get pissed)
*  Gin with dry ginger (again, only once every few years)

My number one rule for myself is; drink rarely and drink very little. l had 3 hangovers when l was a lad and found it so painful that l could never over-do it again: hangovers do deter. l've never been much of a drinker.

#29 2009-08-12 21:10:00

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Last edited by The_Shooman (2009-08-12 21:11:51)

#30 2009-08-13 12:12:09

The Ace Face

Booze, a magnificent friend and ally, a terrible and cruel mistress.

Real alcoholics, as opposed to those who drink too much, are saturated with alcohol.  Every cell, every sodden nerve and sinew. It takes three years for the body to come clean again.

I've drank a fair bit in my lifetime and in my degenerate stage I could drink nearly a bottle of whisky with other substances in one sitting.  Still, never hurt me to stop, never needed it to get through the day. Never became bloated, or suffered from a red blue veined nose.

The worse hangovers I ever had were Stella Artois ones, the worse ever Stella with speed. Lasts for days.

Thank god for soberness.  Just a little tomorrow night, maybe a Guinness and a couple of whiskies whilst listening to Pepper or 'Trane.

Draped and sculpted hep cat suit - as worn by His Royal Hepness, Cab Calloway

#31 2009-08-13 12:59:21

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I'm certainly the product of a drinking culture in various ways. It's interesting.

The world of the dry sherry of the Fogey...

The pub visits with my Uncle...

Clubland and vodka...

Then came the add-ons...  Never much Dope, oddly, but Speed, Charlie, E., Poppers. I was out of the loop before Meth. really took over.

Club culture drove it with me. Gym culture drove it for other Mates.

Today I'm just down to booze & fags. I've stopped & started smoking quite often & quite easily. Never tried going teatotal though...

#32 2009-08-14 01:16:08

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#33 2009-08-14 02:02:13

Beatnik

Years of drinking Guinness to excess has given me a rather fat tummy which I cannot seem to shift. I now neither smoke or drink, but I'm afraid I do like my grub a bit too much for my own good.
I despise exercise, always have. But considering my many years as class A drug user with limited life expectency, I really don't think i'm doing too badly... 
You could twist my arm into having a good brandy though!

#34 2009-08-14 03:16:22

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

beer.. and it shows. i like all kinds, from cheap lidl lager to tasty real ales. main rule for me: summertime, more lager and pilsner, wintertime: more real ales and stouts / porters. the only kind of beer i'm not that keen on are the german 'weissbier' types made from wheat.

needless to say, i also love wine, be it red or white. i'm far from being an expert but as for red's, i'm into italian ones such as valpolicella's and barolo's and i think south african, australian and argentinana syrah / shiraz types also do the trick. as for white's, i'm into anything if it's dry and well chilled. of course, alsatian gewurtzraminers are the ones i love the best. south african wines of the type are also great in my book. + one can buy them half the price of the alsatian ones.

champagne.. not too much into that, i somewhat reject the snobbery connected with it. however, i learned to leve catalonian cava's when in barcelona in 2001.

as for booze, i don't do it that much these days, a calavados or two with my coffee or presso will do. occasionally i take a sip of single malt but i'm still trying to learn the joys of whiskey. vodka is the thing i never do tjese days, too many hangover days / puking malarkys caused byt russia's greatest. when i go serious drinking, though, i always go for gin & tonic in the late hours and it shows on the next day.

when younger i drank anything i could get.. beer cider booze + a strong finnish wine named sorbus, very popular among winos, street people, punks, skinheads, thugs, troublemakers etc. i certainly don't do it these days. also, had my fair share of - er - recreational drugs, everything from dope to e's & speed. didn't do much charlie though as it was expensive as f--k back in the day here.. quit the all serious 'recreational going to every day' shit when a mate of mine began to inject the big bad H.

so now it's beer, beer & beer and it f---ing shows lol

Last edited by heikki k (2009-08-14 03:16:41)

#35 2009-08-14 04:47:57

Kingstonian

#36 2009-08-14 05:25:49

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

^definitely. also their 'finkbräu' i find very drinkable in long hot summer nights.

#37 2009-08-14 05:44:08

1,966% Ivy

#38 2009-08-14 06:08:38

Beatnik

That's right '66. Or 'A bad pint...'.
That's one of the reasons I stopped drinking. I just couldn't do the hangovers anymore. When you're young you can drink all day and all night and still get up for work. It's as you get older you really suffer. Aches, pains, sweats etc. I can really do wthout all that.
Plus, the tremendous sense of smugness that you feel when someone else is really suffering makes up for it!

#39 2009-08-14 07:13:46

Astridsdad

I sometimes yearn for my 'teeny tippler' days. A shared bottle of Martini Bianco, Old England Sherry, Thunderbird or when funds permitted a full bottle of Buckfast!

I am fond of a lager though now more likely to be a Fosters or Carlsberg than a stronger Kronenburg or Stella and this would be my drink of choice in the pub until the seal gets broken then I'd move onto Sailor Jerry or somesuch.

At home I only drink wine. I tend to take a notion for something and drink it for months until I scunner myself with it, currently favouring Marborough estate Sauvignon Blanc but this is likely to change soon.

Having a 15 month old child to wake up to at 7am has put the kibosh on drinking to excess but I still feel the need to indulge to some extent most nights!

Bustin' makes me feel good

#40 2009-08-14 09:02:30

The Ace Face

Draped and sculpted hep cat suit - as worn by His Royal Hepness, Cab Calloway

#41 2009-08-14 09:15:33

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Any good hangover cures, chaps?

I rarely suffer, mainly drinking Vodka, but when I do I just have another drink.

#42 2009-08-14 09:48:02

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Last edited by The_Shooman (2009-08-14 09:51:46)

#43 2009-08-14 09:57:48

Beatnik

Did Pindari give you that crazy bush remedy Shooey?

#44 2009-08-14 10:09:55

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Last edited by The_Shooman (2009-08-14 10:14:27)

#45 2009-08-14 10:29:43

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

I liked the Irvine Welsh method:

shag, shit, shave, shower, shirt, shandy

#46 2009-08-14 11:54:40

The Laird of Enfield

#47 2010-01-22 00:12:44

shamrockmonkey

whiskey youre the devil...

just finished an anecdotal book on richard burton,richard harris,peter o'toole, and oliver something. apparently when they cut burton open for a routine operation his spine was covered with crystallized alcohol. theres a goal and some direction for today's wayward youth!

almond extract and miller lite til 14, henny and rum  til 16,bourbon till 18, bushmills and scotch til 25. now my beloved guinness is all i can handle )tear(

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#48 2010-01-22 00:34:47

The_Shooman
A pretty face

fermented water made from soaked 2 day old wheat sprouts is my favoutite drink. lt has a nice tarty flavour and is one of natures best health building drinks, loaded with acidopholous and bifidus.

pea shout juice (7 day pea sprouts) is a nice refreshing drink too.

#49 2010-01-22 02:34:55

Just Jim

'A nice tarty flavour' - What's that?  Fanny?

#50 2010-01-22 05:25:28

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

Last edited by Moose Maclennan (2010-01-22 05:31:42)

Board footer