You are not logged in.

#26 2009-08-06 08:56:01

Bishop of Briggs

Re: Mafoofan - Esquire BDRM Finalist.

Contrary to lies of FNB and Woofboxer, I (and most of the other "Buff Bastards") have been banned from posting on this forum. There are only a few posters left so don't waste your time on here. This forum is dead and nobody cares.

#27 2009-08-06 09:02:58

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#28 2009-08-06 11:08:16

Cruz Diez

#29 2009-08-06 11:14:55

Cruz Diez

#30 2009-08-06 11:22:16

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#31 2009-08-06 11:23:56

Patrick

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#32 2009-08-06 12:08:49

Big Tony

"What sort of post-apocalyptic deathscape is this?"
"I don't want to look like a cock hungry sailor after all !!!"
"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#33 2009-08-06 12:13:43

Big Tony

"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#34 2009-08-06 12:16:21

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#35 2009-08-06 12:43:48

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

As you may have noticed I like to make fun of Maf & have even used him as a stooge over on SF when the penny dropped with Dopey that that was the role I'd cast him in for my 'Larry Lean' stuff. He filled a nice gap for me back in the day...

... But that's all just 'showbiz' & iCrap.

To be totally objective, I do not find Maf to be well dressed. He always looks awkward to me as he stiffly stares out of his photographs. He makes his clothes look uncomfortable to my eye.

Whatever the man may or may not be is beside the point here. I merely say that he looks awkward and so lacks the ease and poise which would make me class him as well dressed.

He stands there with his little chin jutting up for the camera and that's all I see. No elegance, no ease, no nothing.

In what sense is he well dressed?

Help?

Best -

Jim

#36 2009-08-06 17:24:38

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I do not doubt that his clothes are expensive, but I'd rather see them photographed just shown hanging up than on his little something-to-prove frame. I think I'd see them better that way.

Again - This isn't about the man, it's just the presentation.

Maybe Maf doesn't have something to prove. All I'd say is that he looks as though he has in all those stilted photos of his.

Where is Maf the man? Maf the person? Maf the child of our universally shared random & erratic nature?

I just don't see a person there with him at all. All I see is something like a little painted lead soldier.

Stiff.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bTQGMsBKIWo/RX9fYe8r1pI/AAAAAAAAABU/lzlmjmAIa5E/s400/soldier.jpg

#37 2009-08-07 02:55:14

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#38 2009-08-07 10:22:28

Marc Grayson

A well-deserved honor.  Go, Foo Man!

"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

#39 2009-08-07 10:27:19

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#40 2009-08-07 11:20:01

The Ace Face

Draped and sculpted hep cat suit - as worn by His Royal Hepness, Cab Calloway

#41 2009-08-07 11:58:41

Patrick

I was pretty amused — bemused — at making the Top 25.

The prizes, apart from the $15,000, all struck me as being in the "First Prize: A week in Philadelphia. Second Prize: Two weeks in Philadelphia" variety.

I was allowing a minor daydream, though, of parlaying Esquire's recognition of my thrift-shop finery into a contributing writing gig, which would ultimately be far more valuable to me than some great honking watch or a pile of Kenneth Cole stuff I wouldn't wear, even to be seen dead in a ditch.

#42 2009-08-07 12:06:38

Kingstonian

#43 2009-08-07 12:45:02

Patrick

BDRM:

Bumpf Dressed Right = Money
Bedragged Dandies Reform Manically
But Doesn't Really Matter

#44 2009-08-07 14:20:59

Big Tony

#45 2009-08-07 14:36:46

Patrick

Usually attributed to W.C. Fields

#46 2009-08-07 16:19:50

Big Tony

Pat -

Why don't you write a book called "The Idiot's Guide to Dressing Well", or something of that ilk, i.e. the total guide to dressing well for clueless men. You could do that well and you look the part, if you know what I mean. Your photos of yourself would be perfect. Seriously: regular guy who goes from running shoes and T-shirts to nice suits and ties. One of your greatest strengths is your ability to adjust your outfit for any situation, real or imagined. This is partially 'cause you have so much gear, but others have tried and failed badly, so in fact it is a knack you have.

Anyway, fuck those Esquire style contests. They're for NYC fashionistas and poseurs.

Something entitled "Fish, Films and F...", something with three Fs, you could probably churn it out right now. Use the autobiographical fishing/journalism/rehab stories, intersperced with the film reviews as thematically or "moral of the story" related Coupland-style chapter breaks. But I've been over that with you before.

I think maybe the problem is you read good books. If you saw was actually gets published these days, you'd realize even your most half-assed blog posts are literature by comparison. If you can keep the fishing mostly local, then perhaps a state cultural grant might be available.

I dunno. Do something.

Don't be a Horace.

Last edited by Big Tony (2009-08-07 16:22:37)

#47 2009-08-07 20:44:40

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#48 2009-08-09 08:05:40

Big Tony

#49 2009-08-10 07:07:06

The_Shooman
A pretty face

lf mafoofan did win, it would be a largely hollow victory. So many crap dressers (99%) that have NO place on a `best dressed' list. An easy way to get contacts and some money for another suit.

Did you see what ole Vox did? He posted an entry for Alan C as a joke. Ole Al is on the list in his pith helmet and  shorts. lol

#50 2009-08-10 07:09:52

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I've not rated Esquire for decades... They are welcome to Mafool.

Board footer