#1 2009-08-10 05:45:44

ivy girl

Jump The Gun in Brighton

I have a handbag from here     http://www.jumpthegun.co.uk/shop

#2 2009-08-10 07:03:54

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: Jump The Gun in Brighton

Their BD shirts get rated sometimes by those whom I respect.

Any opinions?

Best -

#3 2009-08-10 07:33:15

Beatnik

Yes.. Stop Ivy Girl now please Uncle. It's not healthy!

#4 2009-08-10 07:56:00

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#5 2009-08-10 08:14:39

B.R.

Don't mention the M word!

I'm not mad about the shirts. The collar roll is OK, though fused and a bit stiff (3B). The placket should be lined too really. I like the sewn in box pleat. Good buttons, checks always 'line up'. They do look very good on, but they cost more then Jantzen and are 60% polyester. Never understood why they use that fabric. Maybe some people get on with it but I smell like a Balti house after a few hours.

Still, pretty much everything they make is well styled, very well cut, in tasteful colours, and difficult to get your mitts on RTW. I'm very glad they exist. Nice people too.

#6 2009-08-10 08:16:59

Beatnik

I'm sorry Jim. But why on earth are you talking to me like a teacher to a naughty child? If you want to totally fuck me off for some reason, then carry on Dearheart.
Positive contribution? Real imput? Underlining text? How old do you think I am to be reading this patronising nonsense. It's like some poor workplace appraisal filled with glib management cliches. and I thought this was all supposed to be about fun?
If you rather I didn't continue to post just say. Be honest Instead of saying one thing in PM's then another in the forum. As for getting rid of Paddy. If a grown man is put off by a few posts that might disagree with him, then who wants to hear from him anyway?
If Ivy Girl is 100% real, then you and her have my full apologies. If she is just your creation why the fuck are you prepared to piss me right off with this clap trap?

#7 2009-08-10 08:28:23

1,966% Ivy

#8 2009-08-10 08:33:11

slim jenkins

I like JTG. They make nice 'slim' (wink) shirts. Very much a commercial Mod concern in other respects, but Graham V is such a decent chap (assuming he still works there).

A man could spend the rest of his life trying to remember what he shouldn't have said.

http://includemeout2.blogspot.com

#9 2009-08-10 08:35:45

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Well....

Some people have to be respected and maybe even coaxed a little bit. Not everybody is like you and me.

And if we do this we may get some nice new input in return for the forum. Now that new input may be of no interest to some people or even to most people, but it might interest others and then maybe other new members might come along too.

I did indeed say that you'd given Pad a reality check by PM back when all that happened. He had gone, you were still here - My 'job' here is to look after our posters. He was no longer a poster.

I'd like to find a space for ivy girl here to see what she can bring to the party. She's a toughie & a good sport, but I don't want her to walk away to be honest with you. She's unique on the MBs so far.

If she can Talk Ivy then I want her.

You are valued too, but if I lose Ivy input from her then I want something to fill that gap from whoever has  cost me it.

- Sorry to sound like a Mod., but the show must go on.

Best -

Jim

#10 2009-08-10 08:44:55

Beatnik

So you are guaranteeing myself and everyone else who may read this, that Ivy Girl is 100% genuine then?

#11 2009-08-10 08:49:34

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#12 2009-08-10 09:01:22

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Actually, even if she was Lord Dunsby's sister winding us up why should we care?

Input is input.

Let's judge on what she can bring to the table.

#13 2009-08-10 09:12:06

Beatnik

If I have upset a REAL person then I wholeheartedly apologise. Of course I am interested in fresh views and ideas. And that's what I thought I brought here - A different point of view.
If by 'sniping' you may be referring to my little 'Talk Ivy' satire. Where you a little bit put out by me taking the mickey? I thought we were all big boys on here. 
But i'm afraid your little teacher dressing down was so piss poor and frankly embarrassing that I have to take time to review the point of why I contribute to this forum.
Very, very un-cool Jim...

#14 2009-08-10 09:25:35

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#15 2009-08-10 09:46:57

Beatnik

How have I ripped into Ivy Girl? I scoffed a made light of the fact that I thought she was you're creation, which you went along with and didn't deny. I have not said one derogatory word about the girl. If she is real as you say then well done and good luck to her.
But this really isn't about Ivy Girl. What happened to the PMs saying "I'll watch your back Beatnik." and "Say what you want" etc. So I ruffle a few feathers here and there. Do you really want a forum full of droids who all just bleat along in agreement?
Yes I did leave, but if you remember it was because I felt I didn't know enough to contribute. Not "I wasn't into Ivy". I just had too much respect for the rest of the forum. But how much does Cheeky Monkey contribute? or Mike? but I don't hear you telling them off.
I know you fancy yourself as a schmoozer and a player Jim, but I'd rather prefer it if you could just be more honest.

Last edited by Beatnik (2009-08-10 10:17:19)

#16 2009-08-10 10:16:27

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Fair play to you.

I've worked on bringing Becs here & I don't want to lose her. Simple as that.

You contribute all the fun you bring to the forum & I do value that.

But I still don't want to lose a new poster who might have good Ivy input.

She's not botherd by your comments, but I am. Did anybody take the piss out of you when you rolled up, day after day?

Plus, although she's a tougher cookie than me, she's 19.

How old are you, Brother?

Best -

- And this is going to have to end very soon.

Last edited by Russell_Street (2009-08-11 03:29:17)

#17 2009-08-10 10:32:25

Beatnik

Why do you keep bringing this girl, into the conversation. We're past that. Stop hiding behind a teenage kid. I really don't care if you bring a troupe of Bolivian transsexuals in on the forum.
This is about you and me. You've been monumentally uncool Jim. I think we would all have more respect for you if you just admitted it. You're not the Fonz chum, we all make mistakes. Just come clean and we will move on. I've already apologised...
If you want me to go just say so... I find this all as dull as you Jim.
Thanks for all the PMs gents.

#18 2009-08-10 10:48:53

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Stay, but leave the girl alone?

Shouldn't be too tricky.

I too have PM'd you trying to be supportive.

I just see no mileage for you entrenching your position that I'm some sweet young thing from Brighton, especially if it costs us her potential input. Why do this?

So stay & contribute, like I hope ivy girl will.

- I had a real chuckle about The Fonz though - Remember where his 'office' was?  Very telling!

Best -

Let's cheer up & move on.

#19 2009-08-10 10:51:31

ScarletStreet

Well okay then. As to the original topic I am a fan. Their shirts have a near perfect fit. They  have 100% cotton shirts as well as the blends. I have a few of their checks, pretty nice.  Their sta prest don't feel like cardboard and fit nice as well. The shipping across the Atlantic is pretty reasonable. I obviously see the appeal of some of their gear to those of us who use Ivy as a basis of style and aren't so "hardcore". I would be surprised if they had any stuff the purists would be into.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it." -- H.L. Mencken

#20 2009-08-10 10:56:53

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Get Smart, I think, rates them too.

An update on the Ivy BD with a dash more modern day cool?

#21 2009-08-10 11:19:12

ScarletStreet

Probably so, yeah. They limit their customer base on some of the clothes because of the fit but for some of us it's perfect. I'm hoping they put an Oxford cloth BD out at some point. The details on their BDs are spot on. I still get all my new solids, and stripes from BB, Black Fleece, or Gitman but JTG really has the market corned for slim fitting checks in all sorts of nice colorways.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it." -- H.L. Mencken

#22 2009-08-10 12:20:09

nouvelle vague
A Distillation of Ivy Inspiration.

Has any one seen the 'harry palmer' raincoat in the flesh or on? looks ok for the money.
I found a fantastic Aquascutum slightly darker than duck egg blue  mac yesterday in portobello. It was as new, but had unfortunately been altered by a blind woodsman with a hatchet and stitched by a five year old, for a man with one short arm and one realy short arm. needles to say I left it.

'Jean-Paul Sartre and john lee hooker'

#23 2009-08-10 12:36:17

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#24 2009-08-10 15:33:02

1,966% Ivy

^Just been pumping some Cal here Yuca. I keep seeing Juan Garcia Esquivel in your avatar but I can't recall that sleeve?

#25 2009-08-10 16:00:41

Gibson Gardens
Ivy Author

Jump The Gun is a riot of polyester and poor tailoring. About as far from Ivy League as you can get. Also I don't mean to be discourteous to 'Ivy Girl' - she writes with wit and has a bit of an angle - but I'm afraid I find the notion of the contemporary youth cult orientated British Ivy League attired female just an hilarious impossibility. I found female mods absurd, but at least they had a 'scene' and a record collection to aspire to, but what has an 'Ivy Girl' got? Isn't this just a mod girl with a penchant for a button-down shirt? Maybe a duffle bag/coat, a Blue Note album and a pair of penny loafers thrown in? Ivy is just a hyper-masculine aesthetic. It's old school masculine style. The style has contunued due to dysfunctionally obsessive male interest. There's no interface with the feminine. Female culture already has a highly evolved sophisticated language of clothes. Male culture on the whole hasn't. This is why styles like Ivy prosper amongst boys who care. It's our style - our hairstyles and make-up and bags and accessories. It's a masculine manipulation of a female dialogue. Unlike in virtually every other area of life girls here really do have absolutely nothing to teach or offer us.

GG

Board footer