You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-10 15:46:11

Gibson Gardens
Ivy Author

Brooks Alden penny loafers

I may shortly be in a position to attempt, once again, to blow a fortune on a pair of what I consider to be the ultimate Ivy League shoe, the unlined Alden cordovan penny loafer as sold by Brooks Brothers. Last time I went in to buy a pair the vibe of the Regent Street shop, the attire of the sales assistants, and the absolute lack of care, knowledge or interest in this awful shop made me walk out without splashing the cash. But I have to have these shoes and so will perserve once more. I ask my Ivy brothers out there - anyone else bought these shoes here? How did it go? Did they piss you off as well? What is this place all about? Pointless. Once I have bought my Aldens I wish them nothing but ill fortune.

GG

#2 2009-08-10 16:11:22

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Re: Brooks Alden penny loafers

No personal experience.

Jim thinks the Alden Penny Loafers look "too English" (the vamp and the stitching, I guees), but I don't know if it's the same with Alden for Brooks... I wouldn't really mind, as I like English shoes as well, and I think Alden means quality.

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#3 2009-08-10 16:25:39

Long_Playing

I once wondered what the staff is like in the London Brooks Bros.

I was offered a transfer there before I departed these shores for a year at the University of East Anglia... I don't think the corporate offices considered the sort of commute that would entail, but that's another story.

I always figured it would be bizarre to have a shop opened on Regent St... most of my coworkers in America were old-school hardliners nearing retirement, mixed with young 'retail-professional' types transferred in from Hugo Boss-esque places. The older ones gave me some valuable insight, but the way things are run left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I never bothered to visit the London location, and based on your description, I'm glad I didn't. Are they equally generic "high street" salespeople? The English twist on this would be and interesting but unfortunate thing to witness.

#4 2009-08-10 17:27:40

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

They don't really know their onions, but stock the shoes. A Swedish, mixed-race salesman there is good, the rest are pretty awful, even by Regent Street salesperson standards.

I have bought BB LHS from there in the past for the simple reason that Brooks send shipments from the website to the UK via FedEx: with import duty and VAT that's really fucking expensive. Be prepared to go down half a size and up a width on what you would wear normally, even in other Alden shoes. I suspect they have quite a limited inventory of sizes.

Russ hates these shoes and considers them 'English'. He is wrong.

Go with your instincts, GG, as they are simply beautiful.

#5 2009-08-10 17:38:57

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

The City branch is possibly a better bet: they have a smaller staff and there is less chance of being swarmed/smarmed upon. Could be worth a phonecall to see what stock they have.

#6 2009-08-10 22:10:22

Horace

I'd go the unlined Brooks route over the lined Alden myself.  I like them and am still not sure what Uncle Russ is one abt.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#7 2009-08-11 01:48:51

Chris_H
Ivy Original

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hardyandjohnson/

#8 2009-08-11 03:17:44

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#9 2009-08-11 03:34:24

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#10 2009-08-11 03:43:29

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#11 2009-08-11 03:59:20

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#12 2009-08-11 03:59:49

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

#13 2009-08-11 04:03:11

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Last edited by The_Shooman (2009-08-11 04:05:51)

#14 2009-08-11 04:29:28

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#15 2009-08-11 07:17:03

Big Tony

Someone who lives/works in London, and has access to the world's premier shoo-makers, but who goes to buy middle-range quality American made shoos (made to the same quality as their cars) at inflated import prices, is a sucker.

I agree with Russell, that the style is all wrong too. They're a heavy welted version of the old English "house shoe", i.e. a heavy loafer for wearing in drafty castles by aristocrats. The only true penny loafer is the soft flimsy ones such as Weejuns (and similar models from other brands). Funny how we've never seen those Alden/Brooks penny loafers in old photos? What does that say about their authenticity? They simply weren't worn in those days, despite what 'ole 'arry used to claim (did Alden ever make them in children's sizes?). They probably didn't even exist in those days.

You'd do better to simply go buy a pair of those unlined penny loafers by Eddie Green (the model name I can't remember), although those are no more authentic but at least faaaaar better quality. Or a pair of Weston loafers, which are of a similar vintage to Weejuns and faaaaar better quality.

"What sort of post-apocalyptic deathscape is this?"
"I don't want to look like a cock hungry sailor after all !!!"
"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#16 2009-08-11 08:11:23

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

Weston's are disgusting Euro-schlock. Edward Green's are an American's idea of 'nice' shoes. Well-made but hideously effete: the typical Jermyn Street stock-in-trade as was.

I personally have no idea of the time of the introduction of the Alden LHS, but a couple of things are worth bearing in mind: cordovan wasn't even tried as a shoemaking material until after the introduction of the safety razor led to a glut of horse hide and secondly once it had been an established material it was never offered at a comparable price to calf and would simply have been out of the financial reach of many undergraduates. Of course the Weejun is a more classically collegiate shoe than the LHS, but it's important to realise it had a different role: that of a purely leisure shoe. Despite having 'Leisure' in its name the LHS is a different thing altogether and looks far better with a suit than with khakis or jeans. I like and own both, but use them for different occasions, so it's not a case of 'either/or' for me.

Comparing Alden contstruction with JMW or EG is unfair, though, especially on an Ivy Clothing forum: the price point of the latter two is basically twice that of Alden.

Last edited by Natural Sole Brother (2009-08-11 12:30:55)

#17 2009-08-11 15:41:22

Big Tony

"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#18 2009-08-11 16:00:01

Big Tony

#19 2009-08-11 17:39:35

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

#20 2009-08-11 23:13:02

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#21 2010-08-03 15:03:39

Rip Rig & Panic

#22 2010-08-03 15:05:49

Rip Rig & Panic

Maybe - thinking about it - I'm just not very adventurous.  Same with jazz: sticking to Chet and Miles mostly.

#23 2010-08-03 16:06:48

Big Tony

#24 2011-08-25 16:37:16

Republican Party Reptile

The Brooks shopping experience remains horrendous.  Reminded me of Debenhams.  The salesman had never heard of J.Crew.  He was a chubby English ponce.  Other members of staff looked disbelieving when I told them I own Brooks clothing going back to the 50s and 60s.

#25 2011-08-25 23:59:37

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Bugger! I was a day out in buying you a cup of tea RPR. I'm up today, if my cab ever shows...  Shan't be going to Brooks !

Board footer