You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-19 09:31:31

nouvelle vague
A Distillation of Ivy Inspiration.

loafers on trend!

My lady informs me that loafers are the foot wear of choice for the fashionista celebrity at the moment. and I see that they are being featured in magazines as 'on trend'.
They are being re manufactured by every one from clarks to topshop. much the same way as the boat shoe has been for the last year.
As I have been enjoying my loafers more than ever over the last five months this is frustrating.Imo
They are sure to become standard teenage girl high st. fodder.
On the other side of the coin,you could argue the point that this is a good thing. some smart ivy style for the masses.
I doubt this very much though and can only see this leading to even cheaper materials and workmanship from companys that have already lowered the bar,only too keen to cash in and make big money.
opinions........

roll on oxford weather..nv

Last edited by nouvelle vague (2009-08-19 09:48:55)

'Jean-Paul Sartre and john lee hooker'

#2 2009-08-19 10:18:24

colin
Bright Light

Re: loafers on trend!

I have definately noticed girls on campus wearing a topshop version of the penny loafer. As a similar debate is going on modcult, even if a certain couple of ivy items become popular, it will have little influence on repopularising the style, as they are just being worn by most as it is the in thing or whats cool, so as soon as something else comes along those people will mostly be off persuing the latest fashion.

#3 2009-08-19 11:30:14

nouvelle vague
A Distillation of Ivy Inspiration.

Re: loafers on trend!

Yeah,that was kind of my point brother. As a result It usually means that quality will be compromised in the long run. And as bass ,sebago etall have already outsourced their manufacturing it just makes me think that if they sell lots more shoes they will start dropping standards on materials.

It happened with clarks in the 90's. fantastic hand lasted in ireland wallabees started selling by the bucket. they pushed the manufacturing of them over to the far east. then when the sales started to drop off the quality went down even further, cheap crepe poor suede etc.. even the laces.I still have a pair of my irish wallies as workshop shoes. 13 years old battered but still going. same with the dessies and treks.
just a thought ...
best nv

'Jean-Paul Sartre and john lee hooker'

Board footer